Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2017

Sister drama

SunnyGreenConfetti675, 22 of October of 2016 at 16:05 Posted on Planning 0 23

I got engaged whilst on holiday, I immediately text and called all close family and friends to let them know. The day after I called my sister who was asking who was the bridesmaids – at which point I knew who I wanted to ask however didn’t want to tell her she wasn’t a bridesmaid as we weren’t close, she was dropping hints about being a bridesmaid. I spoke to my mum and she and my other close friend agreed I should have my sister as one of the bridesmaids – which meant me leaving out one of my closest friends because I had to ask my sister. I asked and she said yes – initially I text them all and showed them dresses I liked and she responded saying she didn’t want to wear a maxi dress as she didn’t like them, which was the first of all the drama. We have never been close and she is always awkward at family events – we didn’t speak for a while last year before my mums wedding because of her behaviour.

She then kicked off when she found out we booked a Friday wedding as she would have to take a day off work, we had chosen this date as it was the closest to the date we got engaged yet that wasn’t available. I organised a night when all the bridesmaids could come over and get to know each other before the big day as they will be spending a lot of time together when we go dress shopping and the hen do etc. I asked the bridesmaids who wanted their makeup done – all of them responded saying yes they wanted to have theirs done – and were willing to pay as they would have done if going to another wedding. She replied saying no she would do her own – which was fine. They all had said they wanted their hair done the same as it was what bridesmaids do – my sister said no. to which I said well I want you to be there the night before as I want us all to get ready together – I also said I wanted them to have the same hair – to which she kicked off saying she didn’t want matching hair and it was ridiculous and too much etc.

I asked her and her bf over for dinner which happened to be on the Sunday after the bridesmaid dinner/ drinks I had organised. She replied saying it was a bit much to come over twice and see me in one weekend. To at which point I admit I flipped she is always the one who doesn’t want to see family and always puts her friends first. She made out that it was because she lives 10 miles away and we could have made it a more convenient place etc. She then replied in another message that it wasn’t all about my wedding. I responded saying it wasn’t all about my wedding that I simply wanted for her and her bf to come over for dinner and if she felt that way not to bother being a bridesmaid. She then said I was being awkward about everything – when in reality it is her. She text me again saying that just because it is my wedding doesn’t mean I can control everything – everyone who she had spoken to agreed about the hair and makeup and she didn’t want hers done by some shitty amateur – who so happened to do my mums hair for her wedding last year.

In another text she said you have threatened to not have me as bridesmaid so go ahead, your hissy fits have consequences FYI. She then kicked off about having to take a day off for the wedding and the fact she would have to have matching dresses and hair. She also made reference to my wedding being cheap – which it is not may I add. This is from the girl who didn’t even buy her own mum a wedding card and showed up with her arms swinging at every occasion. We left it at that but I am in two minds – everyone I have spoken to has said not to have her as bridesmaid. I don’t know how she is going to act running up to the wedding as she has been so difficult at every stage.

My maid of honor text everyone who I had said would come to a hen do, and she replied three days later saying no she can’t come because she has no holiday as she has to take a day off for the wedding. She is being exceptionally selfish and I don’t know why she is acting this way. Everyone else has replied saying yes – what is upsetting me is she was dropping hints to be bridesmaid and making a point and she acts like this. I can’t even speak to my mum about it as unless she is arguing with her my mum takes her side.

23 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 29 of October of 2016 at 22:54
  • MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Sisters are a pain sometimes I agree however I hope mine would never do this to me. I think she's being really selfish, she wants to be a bridesmaid but without the things that come with it which isn't fair. I just wouldn't have her as a bridesmaid and let her cool of for a bit, tell your other BMs not to contact her about anything and see if she comes round and starts speaking to you about it.

Good luck x

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I'd drop her.

She's too much hard work.

• H
    Beginner October 2017
    HappyOrangeFlower610 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Ash953. Seems she wants to muscle in and be part of your day, but she hasn't got your interests at heart... and that is not what being a bridesmaid is about IMO!

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Don't have her. She sounds a pain in the neck, and if she's already complaining about hair and make-up and travelling 10 miles for dinner (!?!) then she's only going to get worse when you ask her to help with jobs on the day. I don't hold with the idea of having people as bridesmaids just because they're 'family'. If you're close to them, obviously you'd ask them anyway, and if you're not close to them, they have no place in your team of special helpers. Invite her to the hen and wedding as a guest, and leave it up to her. If your mum complains, just say it wasn't working out with her as a BM and it's best this way. As your sister she'll be in the family photos anyway, so she'll still be part of the day.

x

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I dont get this, its quite simple:

• she doesnt get a say in the dress
    • yes friday wedding are an inconvience to working people and she is fair in being somewhat annoyed
    • she doesnt have to get hair and make up done so let it go
    • her and her boyfriend maybe didnt want to spend 2 days of their free time at your (thats their right)
    • she honestly might not have spare holidays after taking it off for the friday wedding, very valid excuse

I get you have issue and thats probably feeding an emotional side to this but apart from the attitude that you are both pushing on each other nothing here is that out of line

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have bridesmaids with matching hair but that said it's your wedding and if you want it fine. If you want matching full length dresses that's fine also. People either do it because it's your wedding and they want to be bridesmaids or not. you say you have never been close so there is a chance there will always be fiction so I would say look it's better you don't be a bridesmaid full stop. Then you have nothing to argue about and she can wear what she wants. Then ignore all the grief.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I can't comment on most of this, as I don't understand the need for BMs to have identical hair, makeup etc.

However, my sister is also a BM and won't be coming to my hen do. She will need to take a day's leave for my wedding already, and wants to save the rest of her annual leave for her own holiday and potential job interviews. I don't think that's selfish - she works very hard and is already giving up one day to come to the wedding. It's not as though the BMs' attendance at the hen do is essential. To be honest, it doesn't sound like you'll actually miss her very much anyway!

• E
    Beginner February 2017
    ExpensiveGreenStationery671 ·
    • Hide content

This is so upsetting to read. I am going through the same thing with a bridesmaid not my sister. She said no to makeup and hair, no to coming day before or morning of wedding... she would meet us there as she didn't want to be there all morning. She said no to hen party and my other friends to 'work away', then I had a car crash and she said I was a bad friend because hadn't tried to contact her for a month... I was off work and basically in bed! I think it is jealousy and just plain cruel. Do not let her ruin your day. It's good she isn't coming to hen because she sounds like she would be mean anyway. You have been so thoughtful having her to save her feelings and she has kept proving she is mean! Keep her in wedding to save arguments but do not think of her or include her in anymore pre wedding fun! She isn't worth being upset over and it sounds like you have lovely other friends. Hope your okay!

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on how much you want to keep the peace with her and your mum, if your mum is likely to take her side if she's not a BM, do you want to potentially have a disagreement with your mum?

I think I would try and reason with her on the dress and let her have her own way with the hair and make up. At the end of the day, although it looks nice if they all match, it's not the end of the world and I doubt anyone else will notice. just remember that it's about you and OH getting married and her hairstyle really won't ruin or change your day x

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousBrownCars665 ·
    • Hide content

Bottom line is - it's YOUR day and you get the final say in every single thing.

Her behaviour is shocking, I'm sorry you have to deal with this when it should be a happy time for you.

I can't believe you've put up with this much to be honest!

As the lady said above: Drop her. You do not need negativity like that!

PS I had my bridesmaids in matching hair and makeup and they looked bloody stunning - do what ever you want!!!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Im sorry but what bloody planet are you on... your 'DAY' does not ever override someones life or rights ?

apart from the dress issue, the OP doesnt get to 'demand' anything here and has absoloutly NO say final or otherwise in her sister work schedual, free time or bank balance

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I think weddings can cloud what would otherwise be normal. Is it really worth fueding with a sister over whether they want to see you on a day off or not? I sympathise with her on the hair as I hate being told what to do with mine as what suits others doesn't suit me which is why I gave my bridesmaids free rein but that's your decision to make. I don't agree she called your wedding cheap but I assume that was said in anger. A wedding is a day and your sister is your flesh and blood. I think you need a calm chat. You will get critisism for your decisions on your wedding as everyone does but is it really worth a family fallout for? Ask her if she wants to be bridesmaid and ask her why she doesn't want her hair like the other bridesmaids. I found when I spoke to my girls some didn't want straps and some did and some hated their hips and others hated their bums! Some people won't be able to attend a hen do but whether you want to hear it or not your wedding is the centre of your universe right now but it isn't for anyone else. Don't be harsh on people who can't be there every step of the way instead appreciate when they are there for you and remember when it's all over and done she's your family and you can't replace that

• P
    Beginner November 2017
    Pandypants ·
    • Hide content

I think your judgement is being a little clouded over things having to be so perfect. It's probably more that it's coming from someone you find difficult anyway. Therefore things are intensified when she does things you don't like.

It is your day and you do get to dictate the main details but you also have to be willing to compromise on certain things. It's not fair for you to tell someone how to dress or have their hair and expect them to comply with little or no say on the matter. If they aren't happy they are well within their right to question it at the very least. I do however believe that you shouldn't have to keep them as a bridesmaid it you feel it isn't working. I'd say you're both playing a part on things being quite awkward.
    Try and relax a little and not sweat the small stuff.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

In fairness, some of the comments which have been made about the OP's sister's behaviour have been very strongly worded:

"She is being exceptionally selfish"

"it's YOUR day and you get final say in everything"

"Her behaviour is shocking"

She may be being rude, and awkward, but she's entirely within her rights to say that if she has to take a day off for the wedding then she can't take a day off for the hen do. The OP hasn't commented at all on how much leave her sister gets or how much of it she may already have booked (if she knows - I know my sister doesn't tell me everytime she has a day off), so she may be being entirely honest about not having the leave spare. We only have one side of the story.

She's also within her rights to say that she doesn't want matching hair etc. At the end of the day, yes it's the OP's day, but it's her sister's hair. Women don't become dolls when we ask them to be BMs. A lot of weddings do have matching bridal parties (I did at my first one), and it can look fantastic. But if it doesn't suit one, or they feel uncomfortable, it will show. If you're in that situation, then you have to decide what you prefer - matching bridal party, or having your sister as BM.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Personally speaking, any time off I have from work is very precious to me and I would be annoyed if I had to take a day's holiday just to go to someone's wedding (which is a long day!) I would probably just say I couldn't go!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Personally speaking, any time off I have from work is very precious to me and I would be annoyed if I had to take a day's holiday just to go to someone's wedding (which is a long day!) I would probably just say I couldn't go! I think it's quite selfish of a couple expecting people to take a day off work just for their wedding.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

My annual leave is precious to me, but if I am invited to a wedding (and there have been a couple) that falls on a weekday I feel privileged to be invited and don't mind taking the day off.

As others have said, and the rule I am going by, if I'm paying I'm telling my bridesmaid what they're having (with lots of input from them, that makes me sound like a Bridezilla), anything they're paying for they have free reign.

Personally, if she'd causing agro now then I'd have a chat and see if she really wants to do it or if she feels obliged to do it.

Hope you get it sorted xx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow I hope people don't repeat this to you when you send out your invites. I work weekends and find Saturdays inconvienient. Weekends don't work for everyone

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Cripes! Your sister sounds like a handful! Sounds like you need to think if the stress of having her in the wedding is more or less than the stress of kicking her out the wedding.

Honestly it sounds like a good thing that she can't come to the hen do, she doesn't sound like a lot of fun to be around!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

My other half and I both detest weddings and everything associated with them and would grudge going to one any day of the week to be honest!

We're going to a registry office, just the 2 of us and asking very close family and friends to meet us for dinner after it and not telling them we are getting married beforehand as we don't want people going to any expense for hair, make up, outfits, presents etc. If anyone wants to give us anything we are going to ask them to donate money to a local hospice as we don't need anything

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery624 ·
    • Hide content

Lol wedding forums are probs not the best place to hang out in that case. ^

We are having a Friday wedding, due to lack of availability on Saturdays. Most of our guests are just coming to the evening do but I would understand if day guests declined because of work. It's an invite, not a summons.

• Littlefluffpop
    Beginner September 2017
    Littlefluffpop ·
    • Hide content

I hear you sista *does sassy finger snap*

We had to pick a Friday as all Saturdays that we wanted for our venue were all booked up. Everyone who has received a save the date hasn't complained and if people don't want to take a day off, then do you really want those people there? I'd happily take more than one day off if my friend was getting married! Cheeky long weekend excuse if you ask me Smiley winking

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

One of my good friends has passed away suddenly tonight and it just really puts everything in to perspective. Live and let live. A wedding day is just that - 1 day. Family and friends can be taken away from us so suddenly in a split second. And I say this to every single bride on here, not to anyone in specific; let your bridesmaids, guests, wedding party wear what they want, have their hair how they want. Life is too short to fall out over hair styles and dresses!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics