Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2024 Nottinghamshire

Sister having no involvement with the wedding and family are just allowing her?!

Hannah, 14 of July of 2023 at 11:02 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hi all, I would really appreciate your opinion on this! I actually raised similar issues recently but cannot find my discussion from before annoyingly!

So I’ll try to keep this short (probably won’t be haha), when I got engaged my sister didn’t seem too excited and said to me to ‘enjoy the bubble while it lasts’. I’ve not had a card/gift from her but when she got engaged I sent personalised cookies and cards etc.
It’s extremely difficult to plan anything with her involvement as she has a 3 year old and is so militant with naps etc. we are lucky to see her once a month for a ‘hello’. I booked two wedding dress shopping days (1 month apart) to suit the only available dates she gave me. She’s cancelled last minute on the first one - the dress shop is 1 minute walk away from her house. (For context, I only booked that shop because my mum encouraged me to do it so it would be convenient for my sister).
The second dress appointment I booked, again to suit her schedule, she’s cancelled because she’s ‘in the office the day before’…your guess is as good as mine as to what that means. When I spoke to my parents about this, they said that the wedding dress shopping is not as ‘important as the alteration appointments’ and they will ‘make sure she goes to the alteration appointments’. I honestly am I a bit gobsmacked. The dress shopping is supposed to be the most exciting and happy moments of my life and now it’s been made to be an inconvenience.
To top all of this off, when I announced to my family we booked the wedding venue and the wedding will be on a Sunday, my sister said in front of the whole family how ‘inconvenient it will be for everyone’ and that she and her husband will be at work the next day (not sure why she can’t book annual leave when I had to book a whole week off for her wedding). She then said I should just book the wedding for a Saturday and get married at a registry office in the town and then have the reception at a pub - this is not my personal preference as we have booked a lovely venue with gardens & a fountain etc.
I have had the advice to speak to my parents, but they’re either too scared to speak to her/upset her or genuinely think the sun shines out of her a**e. I also mentioned recently how upset I was that at her wedding (I was MOH) she sat me at the back of the room for the wedding breakfast. My parents didn’t say anything to that and just said ‘your sister needs to sit as close to the top table as possible’.
I really feel like cancelling all the appointments and going on my own, it’s really ruining my experience so far and honestly feel this is just the start of it. I have to ask her to be my MOH (parents have insisted) so god knows how much she will help.
Do I just have to bite my lip for the next 14 months and hope things get better? I can’t speak to her because she will quite literally never speak to me again (she’s extremely confrontational) and I know even if I dealt with it in the best way I could, my parents would still say I’m in the wrong.
If anyone has had anything similar happen or just any advice to help my try to focus on the nice things it would truly help Smiley smile
Thank you so so much xx

2 replies

Latest activity by Valyria, 14 of July of 2023 at 18:55
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

Are your parents significantly paying for the wedding? If not, then you shouldn't feel guilty ignoring their requests for your sister to be involved. Based on what you have said, I would strongly recommend you do not pick her as MOH as sounds like she won't be involved and will actually make the planning worse for you.

If your parents are contributing a lot then can you afford to reject this, if it's going to come with these rules? This is your wedding so you should plan it around you and your OH, not your parents/sister. She had her time and this is yours.
  • Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to lie, she seems incredibly self-absorbed.

For her to even come out with "Enjoy the bubble whilst it lasts" makes me wonder if she's happy in her own marriage, as that sounds very spiteful and a little jealous to me.

If my sister was behaving like this during my planning I would not have her as my MOH even if my parents were insisting. she isn't showing you any respect and she's making the whole planning about herself which is horrible, no wonder you're feeling the way you are.

Is there any way you could talk to her? I know you said she's confrontational, but sometimes you need to have a little bit of confrontation so someone isn't making you feel the way you are about YOUR's and your OH's special day. I don't think you're being unreasonable, and I think your parents are not being very helpful by allowing her to behave this way/not stepping in on your behalf.

I hope you can smooth things over with your sister soon, in the meantime I'd throw myself into planning without her help and focus on all the excitement and ideas between you and your OH x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics