Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MischiefMumma
Beginner August 2014

Sisters as Bridesmaids

MischiefMumma, 20 of January of 2014 at 13:55 Posted on Planning 0 5

Sorry ladies this is going to be a rant. Me and my sister DO NOT get along. We never have. She is a very selfish person who only seems to care about herself and god forbid I try and include her in anything she'll make any excuse to wriggle her way out of it. I wasnt a BM at her wedding because after she'd changed her wedding date for 7th time (no exaggeration there) she'd decided to get married on our friends wedding date, strangely enough AFTER I'd told her their date. I was apparently too late to go and get a BM dress fitting but thats another story for another day

I get married in August and 2 years ago when me and OH got engaged I tried call my sister about 9 times because I didnt want to post on facebook without telling her. Low and behold not half an hour after it going up, she rings me "why didnt you tell me you were engaged??"" Er, let me see, because you wouldnt answer your phone. The next thing she asks is "Can I be a BM please? I know you werent one at mine but I really want to be one for yours"

Anyway, we decided to start planning in July last year, booked the venue and the date and all the legal bits. She has a 3 year old son by her ex husband who lives with him and a new baby in November just. I told her that I'd need to book a date for all the BMs to come to the dress fitting as we'd be looking at the dresses for them. They're all dotted over the country and my FSIL only had one day of leave left whihc she'd use to come to the fitting, so we waited on my sister to pick a date. She picked next weekend 01/02/14. She said if her new BF wasn't working he'd have the baby but if not she'd be bringing him with her. Not very practical pushing a baby around a city centre whilst trying dresses on but hey ho. Sh'es now decided that asI've changed the appt to 3pm to enable FSIL to get here in good time from london (and still have 4 hours for BM dress shopping before the appt) its too late for her. Its not too late. She doesnt want to come. She does this all the time. I arrange an appt or a weekend for her to come to me or something like that and at the last minute she cancels. I just dont know what to do now. I want her to be a BM but I cant do with her fannying around and being so flighty. Just make a decision and stick to it!! I get that she cant really have a baby sitter for the baby as hes only a few months old but why is her bf working that day if she knew she'd need him to look after the baby. She's useless. Thing is my parents will completely take her side and see me as ebing selfish AGAIN. Now dont get me wrong, I really want her to be a BM, it'd mean a lot to me, but what do i do?

5 replies

Latest activity by Red Baroness, 20 of January of 2014 at 19:22
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Very simply say that if she doesn't attend a dress will be picked for her by you and the other BMs... its pretty common and its no one else's fault she wont attend, if she doesn't like it too bad

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I didn't shop for BM dresses with all the BMs present on all occasions. It was more organic than that!

Is it not possible to go and get some ideas, shop around, then ask others to go more locally to view/try?

• Bean2304
    Beginner October 2014
    Bean2304 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I had to reply because this just sounds exactly like my sister, It was like reading about my life ha ha. Like you we dont get on and she is a very selfish person, my parents always take her side too (mostly my mum) it drives me nuts!!

I asked her to be a BM for our wedding in October, im only having the one because its only a small wedding (17 people) I havnt even been enagaged a month and I can already see im going to have BIG problems with her. She doesnt like the flowers I have picked or the dresses I have seen and is just refusing to go along with any of it and my mum will back her 100%. Like you if I say anything, its ME being selfish and there will be a huge argument because my mum just cant see it from my side at all. My mum would sooner fall out with me than upset her and that has happened in the past over things.

My boyfriend is really annoyed by it all, he doesnt like her at the best of times but she is really starting to get to him now. I dont know what to do for the best either, I feel a bit stuck really ☹️

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bean 2304 I think we may have the same sister and mother. Is it possible they've been cloned?!! Joking aside, your life is like the double of mine. My sister is going through a very messy divorce and constantly in court battling for custody of her son (which she's not going to get but my family think she will....) My mum and dad just throw money at her and she just laps it up. She ignores all my messages and those of my MOH who is trying to plan my hen do. She's always been very selfish and my mum ALWAYS takes her side. She twists things to make them eblieve everything she says, she's so manipulative. Around Xmas last year M&D started to see the light but unfortunately that was short lived expecially since she's had another baby. (OH calls her 2by2 ?) I bought my dress in Yorkshire where my OH parents live (he was at the football) and my parents live in london. I was told how selfish I am to ask my mum to come look at the dress because of how far away it is. We live in Newcastle. I've spoken to FSIL whos said I should maybe ask Sister if she thinks maybe its too much stress for her. Tell her to take a running jump but in a really diplomatic way!

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

Hi DebbiBunn,

Unfortunately I don't have much practical advice as I'm not in a similar situation but I didn't want to read and run as it sounds so awful for you Smiley sad

Maybe a bit controversial, but if I were you I'd just stick to your guns throughout the whole process....if she can't make appointments then she's no one to blame but herself. Try not to give her any important tasks as it sounds as though she may well let you down. If your parents always take her side, then that's really unfair but like I said stick to your guns....so long as you inside that you've tried your best then that's all you need. Maybe your parents are being protective towards her as they view that she's been through a lot? Difficult to answer properly though as I only know the complete basics of your situation and I'm sure it's much more complicated.

Keeping my fingers crossed it all works out for you though xx

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I actually only had 2 bridesmaids, who were both my sisters. My youngest sister found the bridesmaid dresses in the end, after I explained what colour/style I thought would look nice etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics