Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A

Sisters Wedding Santorini 2015 - on a budget

Amyvick, 2 of July of 2014 at 10:09 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi All!

My sister got engaged just a couple of weeks ago and she's already stressing. She wants to get married abroad and is really keen on the Theros Bar in Santorini. They don't have much of a budget - aprrox £5-6000 and she thinks they'll be inviting about 60 people. Can anyone help with the following please?

1. Has anyone on here got married/been to a wedding at the Theros Bar? Can you share your experiences please? When's the best/cheapest time to go?
  2. How do we find the best price? I use comparison markets for holidays etc but is there a specific one for weddings?
  3. How do you know how many people will be going? If she invites 60 people, maybe only 40 will actually go but you won't know this until invites have gone out. Is there anyway you can change the number after you've booked somewhere? It's a bit swings and roundabouts if you ask me!

Any help, advice, ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Amy

5 replies

Latest activity by SillyWrong, 2 of July of 2014 at 15:40
  • Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

Have a look on the Honeymoon and Getting Married Abroad thread there is probably lots of advice you can get on there! ?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Before she books it she'd be better off asking around family to see who can afford to travel there. She might find that only about 20 people can make the trip.

The other option is to look into unusual UK venues, like Casa Hotel at Brighouse in Yorkshire. That's like being in Spain when the sun shines!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Cheapest time to go will obviously be out of season so Oct - Mar. But then the weather is likely to be dodgy and lots of places will be closed. Otherwise go outside the school summer holidays - June or Sept would be lovely there. Has she contacted the bar yet? I would think the best place to start is to get a baseline price from them to see how much leeway she has - so find out if there is a hire fee/minimum spend and how much the catering is going to be per head, then take it from there.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In my opinion, this is exactly the wrong way round to do things with an overseas wedding. You need to know what your guest list numbers will look like before you make firm plans on venues/wedding size/etc. My cousin who married abroad did informal invitations a long long time in advance, via telephone, to get an idea of who would travel.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

We are marrying abroad and sent our invites out months in advance, our venue doesn't require a number of guests until a few months before, we have stated on our rsvps that they need to have replied by a certain date, however our venue is really laid back and any one that is coming to our wedding is staying at the venue too. I think as another poster said get in touch with the venue first hand and find out what their flexibility is like. Santorini is beautiful, I hope I get an invite Smiley winking

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Tell her to calm down and take her time. We did this after we got engaged (in fact, looking back through my email I'm shocked to see I was sending emails off to Spain only two days after we got engaged!!) ... I do wish we had taken more time, thought things through a bit more, looked at more options, weighed everything up before jumping in, got more advice from more people/suppliers.

Don't get me wrong, we have our dream wedding coming up, I just wish we'd have taken things a little more slowly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics