Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Sit down meal v buffet

Hugo Brambles, 7 October, 2009 at 21:26 Posted on Planning 0 21

For budgets sake, I was thinking about a mid afternoon service/civil do, say 3 or 4pm, followed by a buffet at the venue rather than a formal sit down meal. The buffet choice would cost less than a formal meal, it would save having a seating plan/favours/elaborate tables etc but I am just wondering if it would still look as 'special' as a sit down affair. When would you have speaches etc or wouldn't you? Not sure if not having a formal meal is going to make the day too unstructured if that makes sense? The advantage is though that we could have all our guests to the service and the food rather than having only a few to the service/sit down meal?

21 replies

Latest activity by groomwithaview, 8 October, 2009 at 15:53
  • N
    Beginner October 2009
    nofavours ·
    • Hide content

I actually prefer a buffet as you get to have a choice, but my OH insisted on a sit down meal as that's more traditional in his opinion. Our caterer did say to us that if we went for a buffet then she would invite one table at a time to the buffet table to avoid the school dinners style queue, which would still give an air of formality. I think you could still have speeches (If you wanted to), probably after dinner.

• M
    Beginner August 2010
    melodrama ·
    • Hide content

We're also considering a later service with a buffet that can be set up after the ceremony and be refreshed later in the evening (or something along those lines - nothing is set in stone as yet). As for it being special or not it depends on how you feel I suppose. We don't really want anything too formal as we would find it 'stuffy' and could detract from the party atmosphere we want - it's supposed to be a celebration after all.

I still intend to have beautifully decorated tables, but just to have them in a more informal pattern rather than the usual top table with a U shape arrangement or whatever people have. That way people can sit down and eat or mill around and chat - they can please themselves because we want it to be relaxed.

However, I'm not sure how to work speeches into this set up, but that is also something we personally might dispense with altogether....But I've just had an idea on this - Maybe you could have a drinks reception where you can have all the speeches and present the attendants with their gifts etc, and then announce that the buffet is open?? That might work for us, but like I said, we kind of prefer the informal approach.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Mel.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I can give you a couple of examples of ones I've done.

First example..... ceremony at the registry office, back to the hotel. Bare tables round the outside of the room. Guests arrived at the room, got a drink from the bar and found a seat in the function room. Wedding party stayed outside unitl I invited them into the room 2 at a time to their chosen tune (Some were dead funny such as the Smurfs theme tune for the brides father because he used to be a chef and when she was little she thought he looked like a smurf in his chef outfit). As they came in they walked full length of the room and came and stood by my rig. Handed them the mic and they did their speeches standing there and holding their glass of champagne. When speeches and toasts were over I invited the wedding party to help themselves from the buffet table and guests to follow. As the tables were already round the outside of the room there was nothing to clear apart from throw a few paper plates into a bin liner and then it was straight into the disco. Very relaxed, fun and totally enjoyable wedding.

Second example....ceremony in the church, rest in the adjoining church hall ( really nice venue .....both church and hall were fairly new buildings). Tables were arranged and decorated traditionally, with a top table, seat covers and all the works. Guests got seated according to seating plan. Bride and groom introduced in. Buffet started with wedding party being invited up first, then each table invited up one at a time. Buffet over....then straight into speeches. After speeches, everyone mucked in clearing the tables for the evening! Equally enjoyable day.

Although the second sounded grander, there probably wasn't a lot of difference in the budget because nearly everything was done by friends, family and the church congregation!

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

We're having a buffet, but still having formal seating, 3 courses, speeches, etc (and have been to a couple of weddings this year done in a similar way). It doesnt have to make it any less formal than a sit down meal as far as speeches, table layout, etc is concernered. In fact Ive been to a very posh black tie polo ball which was buffet service and was completely over the top deocr and food wise.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

The last wedding I went to had a hot buffet in the afternoon and col buffet in the evening, although I had to leave just after the first meal as I was recovering from an operation so just wanted to show my face at the service really.

I enjoyed the buffet as being a fussy eater I was able to choose what foods I wanted rather than have it all put on a plate and being expected to eat it. With wedding breakfasts I think it's hard to expect to be able to choose one meal for everyone, and expect them all to like it.

I think having a late service with a buffet is a great idea. We did consider this but our church could only marry us at 2pm on our day so we have gone down the road of sit down meal, and its costsing a fortune!

Of course you can still do speeches if you want to. I say go for the buffet, it will save you money and probably please your guests that they have choice of food.

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

I was (and still am) really keen on the buffet idea instead of a sit down meal, but OH was dead set against it. I think its a great way for people to mingle about a bit more, you get a bit more choice (and its cheaper of course) ?

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Cheaper? You would think so wouldnt you...! Although Im sure it can be done cheaper, I still think its a case of how long is a piece of string - Im certain now we could have got caterers to do a 3 course sit down meal for less than the price of our hog roast and buffet, although to be fair we are still employing staff and although are preparing most of the food ourselves, we are overcatering big time (would hate for people to be hungry!)...its all good

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

SORRY! No idea what happened there!

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Lol groomwithaview! I've never seen it get so carried away before!!!!lol

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Woah there, message reply button....!!

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

[:'(] Im almost too scard to replay again! It wouldnt let me delete them or anything! Im not even sure how it happened - I didnt click more than once, honest!

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it just really really liked your post??? lol

When do you come back to the UK?

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Aww don't worry groom with a view- it was a good point, very well made! ?

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Haha - thanks! Driving back to the UK exactly 2 weeks today! WOOOOOOOOOOOO! Can the time go any slower though?!

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

That's one long drive. You should enjoy the wuiet period I'm sure it will be mayhem soon enough and then you'll want more time!!lol

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Youre almost certainly right - drive wont be too bad to be honest as we're stopping overnight in Metz....

And sorry for hijacking the thread!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics