Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner June 2025 Shropshire

Sit down meal vs food trucks

Nina, 16 of August of 2023 at 15:42 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 8
Hi!
We are started to plan our wedding but are getting huge quotes from caterers for 100 person sit down meals. I have seen lots of Pinterest photos and stories of people using food trucks for a more informal wedding breakfast.
Has anyone done this and how did it work with speeches etc. can you give me an idea of the timeline of the day!
Thank you ❤️

8 replies

Latest activity by Gwoyenda, 31 of August of 2023 at 13:15
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Nina! Not married yet but we are a food truck wedding!

1pm-ceremony

2pm-music and little canapés, we have now just gone with crisps and nuts. We have had a few ideas and will probably change again, haha.
    3pm-4pm- mingling with guests and photos

4pm-speeches (still having a seating plan as this is important to me, it’s the only thing we kind of disagreed on in the beginning but some guests will be alone and I don’t want them to feel alone)

4:15/4:30-guests eat as much as they want until the vans leave later at night, this also covers night guests. We would love them to sit down and eat with us for the first course but anything more they can sit out if it’s a lovely day. On top of our heads at the moment it’ll be like table 1-3 go get your food then 4-6 just like it has been for a formal meal when some are still eating their starter whilst some are on the main then it will be get up as you please. None of our guests know this, they just know they will not go hungry. I also know our venue and caterers will inform us with what will be best! I hope this slightly helps. I love the thought of a relaxed wedding but I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Good luck and enjoy, we have really enjoyed planning it all.
  • N
    Nina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Shay,

Thank you so much for that! The timeline sounds really good too!
    The cost of a sit down meal is the biggest issue at the moment so trying to think about different options!
    Wish you all the best and I’m sure you will have the best day!
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi. That is no problem. A sit down meal was never our intention but we did have a quick look and it would have been way out of our budget. Ofcourse it depends on your area but our friends are paying £120pp and I just could not justify that. Thank you, all the best to you both aswell. Anything else please do ask. Also, some food trucks do offer 3 course meals so have a look at different ones around the country if it is something you really want.
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    We got a pizza truck for the evening and it went down sooooo well with guests. There was a lot more choice and a lot less cost than catered pizza.

The only thing I’d be mindful of, is we were married last month, and it chucked it down on our wedding day, pretty much all day too. Our venue had it where the pizza truck could park up essentially by the door and the truck had an awning, so no-one got wet when getting their pizza, but if we’d have had more than one food truck, people definitely would have had to get soggy to get their food. I know the cost savings are high, but it may also be worth planning a rain plan of where to put these trucks, so people don’t get soggy queuing for their food xx
  • C
    Beginner August 2025 Greater Manchester
    Carlene ·
    • Hide content
    Me and my fiance are having a buffet reception, hot and cold, in a pub near us

We decided to forgo the wedding breakfast cos we're both laid back
    But at the end of the day, all us brides are different. There's no right or wrong. It's all about our personal choices
    Have an amazing day beaut x
  • N
    Nina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no that’s a shame it rained! We are planning a marquee anyway so it’ll all be inside! Can’t trust the English weather!!!

I think we will stick to one caterer in the event it rains!
  • E
    Curious July 2023 North Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

Hello, we wanted quite an informal wedding, we didn't have speeches, top table or first dances etc we wanted a nice relaxed day.

We genuinely couldn't decide on sit down meal or hot buffet style and in the end went for a sit down main course and a buffet style dessert table. Although I really liked the idea of a buffet style meal my main reason for sit down was our guests were older relatives and I didn't like the thought of having to help myself to food in my wedding dress and people wandering backwards and forwards with hot food. We also got married at 2pm so by the time we were ready to eat at 4ish, we didn't have hours to play with before evening guests arrived and my vision with a buffet was it could drag out for much longer.

Its down to personal opinion and preference but I was so glad on the day we opted for sit down, everybody was seated the main course was swiftly served up the food was delicious and then people were free to help themselves to tea/coffee and desserts etc. I was so glad of the sit down as well to be honest!

From a catering point of view the venue found it much easier knowing they needed to serve up a particular number of meals rather than having to cater a buffet style where nobody knows what anybody might pick or not pick.

Hope that helps and obviously everybody has different needs/requirements/and preferences x

• Gwoyenda
    Beginner June 2024 West Sussex
    Gwoyenda ·
    • Hide content
    I have the same decision making dilemma right now. Our wedding is next year but we plan for it to.be in the afternoon. the cost of a sit down meal seems un affordable so we are looking at food trucks. 😀

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics