Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

Sleeping issues! Heavy breathing

Purplecake, 13 of November of 2014 at 10:19 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

So although it sounds such a silly problem, it's really becoming a massive issue right now. My breathing is supposedly very heavy at night, not a snore, just very deep breathing. Apparently this has also only sprung up recently. OH is a light sleeper and so this is really annoying him. We have a fan on at night to cover the noise which is now no longer a good option, as 1, it's cold, and 2, the fan has now developed a rattle only audible to him which between that and my breathing hes getting seriously annoyed.

But i don't know how to solve it! I take allergy tablets before sleep to try and keep my airwaves open, and i can't breathe through my mouth as its not natural for me so once asleep i revert back to nose. So ideally i'm after suggestions for me to lighten up my breathing, or for background noises for him that are constant and loud enough so i don't bother him.

Ear plugs are a no go, i considered a radio on classic fm or something, but otherwise i'm stumped. I don't believe my breathing can change just like that when it was ok for many years. But the late night arguments while i'm actually asleep and can do nothing about it is getting us down Smiley sad Is anyone else in a similar situation to shed light on how to deal with it!?

9 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 20 of November of 2014 at 07:22
  • JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

I can't offer any advice, but I can sympathise with you. Apparently I'm also a heavy breather when I sleep (I think it comes from suffering badly from allergies as a child). My OH just kind of got used to it and he never brings it up unless I do. He knows there's nothing I can do about it but that doesn't stop me from feeling guilty as I know that I make a lot of noise when I'm asleep (my daughter's mentioned it before when she's had to sleep in the same room as me).

The only thing I thought of for your OH was ear plugs but you've ruled that out. I haven't found anything that stops it for me - I tried the anti-snoring stuff but the thing is, it isn't actually snoring - just heavy breathing. If you do find anything that improves it, please let me know.

As I said - not much help, but it might be nice to know that someone else is a heavy breather too!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Aww not silly, sleep's important! I'd be feeling grumpy too.

Do you sleep on your back? My breathing gets heavier if i'm on my back. Luckily, i can sleep in any position so OH just nudges me and I roll over.

Are earplugs a no because theyre uncomfy? My OH used to have the radio on overnight but me moving in put a stop to that - i need silence! He tried headphones but they weren't comfy & he'd wake up with the wires round his neck!! Got him a speaker for his pillow which he can plug into radio/ipod - it's marvellous, I can't hear a bloody thing on my side of the bed!

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Nice to know i'm not the only one! Somedays he has said obviously he knows I can't help it so not much he can do but try to put up with it, but other nights if there's extra stuff such as the fan rattle and any coughs/colds keeping him up then it gets to be moan central. I fall asleep on my side but quite often do wake up on my back yes, and have been known to be nudged back.

Earplugs are out because (TMI) he's constantly needing his ears syringed which he hates so tries not to put things in ears as will speed up the wax build up! But the pillow sounds cool, that could be a christmas present that starts as a 'lets joke at the situation...but actually this could be really useful!'.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh good idea making it a jokey xmas gift!

This is the one I got from amazon. Didnt want to buy one of the expensive pillowspeaker ones because we'd only just got nice new pillows! It doesnt look very pretty but it's all about function, and at £3 how could i resist!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundlab-A012A-Pillow-Speaker/dp/B002GJ0ES6

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I know you've said its not actually snoring, but have you tried the snore strips that you put over your nose?
    My OH always breathes very heavily and it was keeping me awake ... he tried the snore strips out of desperation and they work a treat!
    I don't really understand it tbh, but it works and that's all I care about Smiley smile

If not, those speaker pillows are brilliant as well

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

The pillow speaker is a bargain! Ordered, thank you!

And i will pop to Boots on my way home to look at snore strips, dubious me is wondering how it would work but recommendations are what i always go by so will happily give them a try. Thanks everyone ? feeling better than this morning knowing i'm not the only one who can make my OH miserable with my breathing (haha how wrong it sounds - especially when most nights his goodnight sentence is 'no breathing tonight' lol). Hopefully some cosier nights on the horizon x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

This is a really really difficult one. My Ex was a very heavy breather and snorer - result - he slept like a baby - I didn't and the damage it did to me can't be underestimated, especially as he became immune to prods and kicks. I remember one night actually punching him in tears because I was so exhausted. Without a doubt what contributed to his was his weight and drinking beer. He often ended up sleeping in another room so it was not pleasant for either of us. My H2B is a quiet sleeper and it's bliss Smiley smile

Your breathing is unlikely to have changed overnight but it could be that your OH is becoming more weary and so less tolerant to the disturbance. If however it has changed suddenyl then you should get it checked out in case you have something like asthma developing. Either way, check your health out then you can look at other options. Have you tried sleeping propped up for example?

I think it's worth OH considering quality ear plugs - at least on an odd occasion - quid pro quo and all that. I must admit I'm not an advocate of covering up one noise with another - that just escalates things imho. Good luck.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I have ahead hell with this situation. He is terrible, I tried ear plugs and in the end he was moved to another room. Anyway, it turns out he has sleep apnoea. While you OH. My not have it would defo be worth seeing a doctor cos you never know.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Hmm sleep apnoea really doesn't sound correct for me. At most for me i would put it at allergy or similar. I had breathing issues when i was young and i still have an inhaler which gets used at most once a year. Last winter we had first year of heavy breathing issue, it coincided with winter (our first winter in new home), condensation problems on windows, and i had streaming eyes. I suspected dust mite allergy, so bought all the products available for bedding. We got through it, but with fair amount of moaning.

Spring time the fan always comes back on, as it's too warm and we always have it 7-8 months of the year so bringing in a noise isn't an issue as we're used to it, but it's a benefit if it covers up also. Now this is another full winter and am trying to tackle it earlier. If the nose strips don't help physically i'll mention it at next appointment with doc just incase they have pro tips, but i'll probably always link it to a winter only problem.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I really don't know what to suggest. My husband is a heavy breather as well and it driives me insane. Maybe you need to go to the doctors to see what they think about it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics