Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buzzee
Beginner January 2012

Slightly OT and Maybe TMI for some - Coming off the Pill...

Buzzee, 5 May, 2011 at 07:41 Posted on Planning 0 6

I will be making an appointment to speak to doctor about this but just wondered in the meantime if anyone had any experiecnces of coming off Microgynon (the pill!)

Basically I happen to be on a week's break from the pill this week and have also started eating a bit healthier too as need to get back into my wedding dress diet. I have lost nearly 1/2 stone in a week, which is very unlike me (even on the first week of a diet i'd normally only lose a few pounds).

So, I am tempted to stay off the pill completely - as i am wondering if it has contributed to other side effects over the years (tiredness, mood swings etc) and also because I want to maximise my weight loss.

The thing i liked about the pill though was the ability to take it back to back to delay periods when necessary - and the last thing i'd want is to be 'on' during the wedding or honeymoon (not for another 8 months but obviously need to weigh up pros and cons now!)

I have heard there is a pill called norethisterone that the doc can prescribe you to delay periods for a short time and just wondered whether any of you had any experience of it?

Look forward to hearing anyone's experiences

x

6 replies

Latest activity by Lynseys Designs, 5 May, 2011 at 21:56
  • Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Cant help you here but would like to know any answers as i want to come off the pill as we want to try for a baby but obviously dont want to be 'on' for the wedding and honeymoon

x

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

I was on microgynon befor i had my 1st son 6 yrs ago i came off it just stoped taking it after i was on my 7 free days and with in 3 months i was preg. i found i put on weight with the pill and i put on a lot more with the depo jab (will never go back on it)

I have used norethisterone for stoping my period and to try and start it after coming off depo and not getting my period or preg after a yr off it. you start it 7 days befor you priod is due and stop it 3 days befor you want to have it. i found that i would spot a bit when it was due when useing norethisterone but it wasnt any thing realy but i did get realy bloted and realy bad belly pains.

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

I came off Microgynon about a year ago as we were going to try for a baby. My periods were all over the place when I first came off it- it has taken a long time and they are finally back to normal! We have stopped trying now as OH proposed, and I didnt want to be pregnant for the wedding, thought we might as well wait.

Anyway, I feel so much better after coming off it. No mood swings, and I am losing weight (combined with Slimming World).

I have taken the pill that delays your periods before, when I was going on holiday. It actually works really well, so speak to your doctor about it.

Be prepared for your periods to be a bit out of whack for quite a while after coming off it. You might be different to me, but it has taken a long while to get back to a regular 4 week cycle.

I would track them, write in your diary when you first come on, and count the weeks in your cycles until they gradually get more regular.

HTH! xx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I will be asking my GP for norethisterone as I don't take my pill anymore either. We timed our wedding so I wouldn't have to worry about it then we made a change and forgot to check my cycle and it fall on the dreaded day.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, good to know that there are options there to delay it so it doesn't interrupt the wedding/honeymoon!

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

Can't help you with your question. But a friend of mine can't take any type of pill as it causes her weight gain and lack of labido. My other friend is keeping check on her pill as she is suffering with lots of migraines. So although there are lots of pros there are plenty of cons.

I had to keep taking my pill and rearrange my periods as i was due on on our anniversary weekend away, my birthday and our wedding day! I've shifted it so that it falls on the week before now.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

There is a Baby Talk (BT) forum here as well you might find useful. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics