Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

GemmaLouise1986
Beginner

Slightly OT - Vivien of Holloway

GemmaLouise1986, 26 April, 2011 at 21:04 Posted on Planning 0 20

Evening ladies!

I know some of you have fab taste and have bought your BMs V of H dresses. I've got myself one (finally) and it needs altering, I need about an inch either side taking in under the arms. Has anyone had to have alterations done to a V of H dress? Are they fairly easy to alter?

I ask as I've had dresses that needed altering before under the arm (I have a very tiny chest but huge boobs so an odd shape and a common problem!) and they were unable to alter due to the cut of the dress etc so worried this won't be able to be altered.....

20 replies

Latest activity by GemmaLouise1986, 27 April, 2011 at 21:12
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

*Paging Spangles. Paging Spangles. Would Spangles please come to aisle 2*

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

I have been looking at her website today........the dresses are lush. Would love them for my bridesmaids.

Feel free to flash?

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Haha CB I was going to put Spangles in the title but I know some other people also had/have these but can't remember who......funnily enough I've opted for the polka dot one :p

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I have not yet bought them, but I plan on getting my BM dresses from VoH.

Now, I don't have one in front of me, but they seem to be plain cotton dresses (unlined), if so, then what you have described would be straight forward. I have altered (or taken to be altered) similar dresses myself.

You should just take it to the dry cleaners (well, a dry cleaners that alters clothes) and describe what you want doing. Shouldn't be too much!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

The top is actually lined and boned, then there's the bit that goes around the neck. OH is good at stuff like that (his Nan was a seamstress) and he looked at it and said he wasn't sure it'd be that easy......

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I bought the duchess satin black VoH and my mate's Mum took the boning out for me and took the boobage bit in. She said taking the boning out was quite fiddly but she did it all in less than an hour. The boning made me look like I had robo boobs (maybe because I am not blessed in the mammory department).

One of my BMs had her straps taken in by her Mum and it wasn't too difficult. I wore my VoH on Saturday and absolutely loved it!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, what you can't see on the photos!

I am glad my BMs will be trying theirs on in the shop before I buy anything!

In that case, I would contact a seamstress (are you near a fabric/haberdashers? They will prob have cards in the shop for people who do alterations). I should imagine they wouldn't need to touch the boning. If it has a lining, the lining will need to be unstitched, then it can be taken in.

It might be easier to return and buy a smaller size?

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Spangles. I'm going to see if OH's Nan can manage it she is 89 though!

I tried it on with my underskirt - love it!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Just to add - I haven't got any decent photos of me in my dress but I will hopefully have some pics to flash of an upcoming wedding in 2 weeks time! Did you manage to get a petticoat as they are sold out. I have found another supplier called Showtime who stock Sam's petticoats (the same ones sold by VoH).

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Definitely get your BMs to try the dresses on as their sizes are vintage and not the same as modern ones. My BMs were all a size bigger in there. Mine fits perfectly around the waist but was too big around the bust. If you can't make it to the shop, make sure you measure yourself and look at their size chart.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Knitting - can't get a smaller size as it's the right waist size so if I got a smaller one on the chest I wouldn't be able to eat anything Smiley winking

Spangles - I buy my underskirts from ebay. Just as good imo (and much cheaper!)

Really hope someone can alter it for me.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Which seller did you use on eBay Gemma? I have looked for a petticoat similar to the ones VoH stock but had no joy.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

I am 10/12 normally but this was a size 16 when it arrived!

I'm having a look for their details now Spangles.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Much obliged! ?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am sure they will be able to! A seamstress can do anything, in training they make dresses from scratch! Go onto Yell.com, put in your postcode and type in seamstress. A couple of phone calls is all it will take!

My vintage wedding dress is being altered by a seamstress- it has boning which she will be replacing (the 50s boning makes me look like Madonna) and she will be taking it on the sides.

I have the same problem with dresses as you then. I am a pear!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Spangles my ebay is having none of it tonight.

I'm looking up some places near work to take the dress. If the boning needs moving then I think it might be too much for OH's Nan to do....

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this helps or not... but I am 32 FF and I have a size 14...... it was a perfect fit and have done no alterations....

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I did wonder if a 14 might fit but I think it will be a little big on the waist....

That's the petticoat I bought too Starstruck, thanks!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Starstruck!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

After reading all your helpful comments I tried it on again this morning and I think the smaller size might be ok. I had clearly just eaten too much dinner last night :p

I've sent it back today for an exchange - just hope it comes quickly! It's a bit odd putting £5 in the envelope for further postage but oh well be worth it if it fits Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics