Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hyacinth
Beginner

slightly strange discussion about prescription pill addiction

Hyacinth, 28 of February of 2009 at 21:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

On catch up, I'm watching a programme called Britains deadliest addictions. Its not quite as sensationalist as it sounds but is still a slightly strange programme. They are following 3 addicts through rehab and discussing some of the issues with these addictions. Its presented by Krishnan Guru Murphy. I'm not sure if its been on TV recently or a while ago.

One is addicted to alcohol, one to crack cocaine and one to benzodiazepine (tranquilizers) which she has been addicted to for 30 years and she is legally prescribed. She is housebound due to her anxiety and does not get these tablets from any other source.

I can see how awfully difficult the future will be for the first two addicts but I'm a bit confused by her- which is not to say I see her illness as any less serious.

She has been prescribed these tablets all her life. They used to be regularly prescribed for depression and stress but its now recognised they should only be used short term. I can see how she could have 30 years of addiction behind her- she could have manipulated her doctors, or changed them frequently, or maybe its recognised that such addicts need to continue to to be prescribed her tablets until they can go through something like rehab?

But considering she knows she has a problem, her GP was contacted as part of the programme so knows she has been trying to come off them, is s/he morally obliged to no longer prescribe the tablets to her?

I'm just thinking about her chances ( i don't think they are going to do a catch up but I'd love to see whether they are successful, they all seem really determined) she seems to be the only one who can have her supply cut off.

10 replies

Latest activity by Craig, 1 of July of 2024 at 13:06
  • Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Benzo addiction is a huge problem in general practice. We have a list size of about 14000 and I would say we have at least a few hundred people, probably many more, on benzos long term who are addicted. Many of them have very inadequate personalities or mental health problems that are so entrenched that even the most intensive pyshcotherapy wouldn't cure them. We do the scripts because a) we don't have the time to detox them and there aren't the resources in the secondary sector to do so, b) they get them anyway from other sources, c) they don't believe they're addicted so don't want to address their other problems. I've come to accept that whilst I will always try to broach the subject of addiction with those addicts whom I do see, the best I can do is offer help to those who want it, and formulate a plan to reduce the dose for those people. The rest - I just have to wait unti they accept there's a problem or ask for help, or wait until they die. I very rarely initiate scripts for benzos for this reason - having seen the long term sequelae - they're a dangerous group of drugs.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

On a slightly smaller scale but I'm addicted to Amitriptyline. It bothers me sometimes but most of the time I realise it actually helps and that's all that matters. I started on 10mg in 1997 for pain, now I'm on 150mg for depression. I was on a fairy static dose of 75mg for a couple of years until two months ago, when my psychiatrist doubled it to try me on a depression dose. Everyone seems fairly happy for me to be on it, I have less pain, I sleep and at the moment, I'm doing ok depression wise. I absolutely hate being dependant on it.

I cannot sleep without it, at all. On the few occasions I forgot to take it (I thought I had so no placebo), I was awake until 6am feeling dreadful. I dread to think how I will cope during a withdrawal, or even if I am moved back down to 75mg in the near future.

• princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

? Mrs Magic. I'm sure amitriptyline is addictive; I only ever had the 10mg dose for pain and the idea of stopping it did make me fretful and anxious. I did just go cold turkey off it and had a few nights of terrible sleep and nightmares -and that was only 10mg. I didn't think it was used as an antidepressant any more?

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content

Amitriptiline is still a widely used and effective antidepressant, with useful pain killing and sleep-improving side effects. It's officially non-addictive, though its interesting to hear what you're saying here.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

? right back atchya! MF has had the same withdrawal as you too, even just the thought of it scares me!

I questioned my psychiatrist on that as I thought that too but he said it's not used commonly any more but it's still used when other options don't work. Because I'm so used to it, it wasn't likely to cause me to be knocked out and he said it's still a very effective anti-depressant. I know it used to be a "sleep all day so forget you are depressed" drug ? but apart from being more dopey in the evening (much to MF and Mr MF's amusement ?), I'm not sleeping any more than I was on 75mg. So far it's working as an AD (I actually feel pretty good atm) but with my history, it's a case of take every day/week as it comes!

ETA, on 75mg, I had to take it at least 4 hours before I wanted to get to sleep, often more. Now it's more like 2-3 hours, with the last hour being dopey mcdopey.

• princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I had to take it by 7pm if I was going to be able to function th

e next day at work ? I've remembered the reason I came off it was that it meant that I never saw Mr Layabout as I'd be incapable of saying anything beyond "burble" by 7.10pm, and comatose by 7.15

I wonder if it's more that it's psychologically addictive, Zoay? It definitely gets you to sleep and if one of the reasons you're not sleeping in the first place is anxiety, then it follows that the prospect of losing the little blue sleepy magic pill would keep you awake and jittery?

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

On 75mg, if I wanted to sleep at 11pm, I needed to take it at 7pm. Now I take it between 7pm and 8pm to ge to sleep between 9.30pm and 11pm. I used to be able to drive for up to a hour but now I don't think I could. I soooo wish I could be asleep within 15 minutes!

Sleep for me has always been a positive side effect of taking it, I love my sleep and need it to function properly (well as properly as I can! ?)

Zoay, it's interesting to read it's not offically addictive, especially with the grim withdrawal people seem to have with it.

• Clairy
    Beginner October 2003
    Clairy ·
    • Hide content

How interesting. My hypodchondriac MIL has been on amitryptaline for years. Her life now basically comprises of getting up, sitting on the settee all day, grumbling, taking as many tablets as she can get prescribed (including multiple vitamin potions, plus Chinese herbal medicine) and going to bed. Did I mention grumbling? ?

On a related anti-depressant note, I am on Prozac and have horrible withdrawal symptoms (mainly horrible anxiety) if I forget to take tablets. Last weekend I had a tummy bug so effectively missed 3 days - and it's taken me until yesterday to feel back to normal. I don't think I am addicted to the Prozac, more that going cold turkey is physically and emotionally shocking. If I have perservered it would have been interesting to see if I felt back to normal by this stage anyway.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

This is really fascinating. Mrs M I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I have actually been prescribed valium, although My doctor refused to prescribe more than 7 days worth- It is terribly addictive, in fact I toyed with just buying it on the internet after he cut me off- in the end I think I realised I would become so addicted to the person I was on it it was pointless, and I was going to go down that road I may as well just go and score some coke.

at the end of the programme they did a one month later update- the benzo addict was down to 14mgs a day and aiming to be off it by March - the alcoholic and crack addict had both stayed clean.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Just to clarify- I didn't score the cok either ?

• C
    Beginner October 2024 Cheshire
    Craig ·
    • Hide content

I can fully sympathise with anyone who struggle with prescription drug addiction. With things like opioids, your body can become fully dependant to function on these.

I've known people who required rehab to kick the addiction (I'll put a link to the course they went on, it's a highly recommended one and if it helps one person, it's worth a share). I think what's important is the care and support of friends and family.

If you are looking for help: https://delamere.com/addiction-treatment/prescription-drugs

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics