Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Small busts in a dress

SoontobeMrsSSmith, 4 February, 2011 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 15

I'm going abroad soon, and I'm going to have my dress made while I am out there.

I have a good idea of what I waht, just a simple, very classic dress, tight in at the waist and flaring out out again to the floor with some layering on the skirt section for shape.

But what to do with the top? I'm slim, with reasonably small boobs. I'd like to keep it strapless, and don't want to wear a bra.
I just want a bit of shape up top, some curves. I don't need to look like I have fake boobs, I'm happy with my shape as a person, but would just like a bit more of a shape to my dress.

So opinions ladies, do I go for some padding? Push them up? Or boneing (which I've never worn) or something else?
Whatever I do, I'd really like it cut / stitched or built into the dress.

Whats best for creating that slinky, curvy, classic feminine shape?

15 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 9 February, 2011 at 10:51
  • SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried any wedding dresses on?

I think that would give you the best indicator of

a) what suits your shape

b) whats comfortable

Ive the opposite problem, mine will have to be kept securely under wraps!

• Twickers
    Beginner March 2011
    Twickers ·
    • Hide content

Sounds similar to me - I am quite pear shaped (although reasonably slim!) and so have slender shoulders and small boobs. I went for a sweetheart neckline as I found it a really flattering shape - it sort of gives the illusion of more curves without having to fake anything! I found dresses that went straight across made my chest look flatter. I am having boning/corsetry in mine, this also helps to draw the waist in - so making the boob area look wider as the waist is narrower.

Does that make any sense? I'm conscious I had an early start and am probably waffling!

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

SasSi,

I'm going to get my dress made so I cannot really try any on unless I do it just for an idea, but then I would feel bad about wasting the dress shops time. I will have to discuss it with the seamstress, but it would be nise to have an idea before I got there.

I do know that when I have worn ball gowns, I prefer to have one with some padding, but I'm really wondering about boneing. Its very traditional for a wedding dress, but I've never worn a dress with it.

• eveywoo77
    Beginner August 2011
    eveywoo77 ·
    • Hide content

I too am in the small boobies gang (32A) I have also gone for a sweetheat neck again most flattering but feel that my dress is held up by the boneing.

In regular clothes my boobs will not hold it up so consider this when deciding.

I have always found that a halterneck is flattering for small boobs. Also I have seen on tv these gel like cups that give you a bitmore shape but will not lift and shift

maybe have a cup built into the design.

goodluck xx

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I honestly wouldnt worry about that - im sure loads of brides to be make appointments with shops & never buy anything from them! Besides you mite find shoes, veils, jewellery etc so I wouldnt let that put you off going & trying some on. ?

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

I am also a pear shape and really wanted a dress to help balance out my bust with the rest of me. I agree that sweetheart necklines are great. The dress I went with has some good detail on the bust, it's this one....

or one or two of them I tried on and liked would have a bow or some other extra detail. I found trying them on really useful and would recommend doing this before getting one made, just to get an idea of the style / detailing that suits you.

Good luck!

• N
    Beginner June 2011
    nickij ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the girls before, sweetheart neckline will really enhance a small bust and boning will at the very least ensure the dress doesnt wiggle down.

If i were you I wouldnt worry about feeling guilty about wasting shops time and just go and try some on.... its the only way to know for sure what looks best.

plus it's fun trying on dresses and you may get some ideas ?

• C
    Beginner April 2011
    CM2007 ·
    • Hide content

Have you also thought about getting some padding sewn into the lining of the dress? It'll act in the same way as chicken fillets but you won't have to wear a bra or worry about it moving/coming out!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am like you, a pear. I have 6/8 top and 8/10 bottoms. I love boning in a dress. It gives a lovely sculpted look without making you look like you're wearing falsies. I am happy with my body shape and don't like to change it, just accentuate!

Strapless always looks good on smaller figures too I think.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Knitting_vixen.

How comfortable is the boning in comparison to a bit of uplifting and padding?

What would it be like to wear all day? with plenty of dancing involved too?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit like Twickers, small on top but pear shaped. My dress has a corset back, so is great for support, but actually pulls me in even more! I'm tempted to wear a padded strapless bra underneath, but that kind of defeats the object of a corset back. It's got a sweetheart neckline and ruching on the bust, which does kind of give the illusion of more shape.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh who is this dress made by? It's lovely! I'm also smaller on top so need a similar style Smiley smile

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If that is about my dress flash - it is a Sophia Tolli dress 'Appollonia'. Her dresses are stunning! It is from the fall 2010 collection if you look on her website.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Wonky, yes I was...I'll have a look! Smiley smile

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends what kind of boning you are having. I am not going for a full on strapped corset, so I find it comfortable, I see it as like wearing an underwired bra.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

And I will be dancing! We have a 50s rock n roll band!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics