Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner

Small ceremony then large reception

RomanticGoldDiamonds981, 17 of September of 2017 at 18:05 Posted on Planning 0 3

So myself and my partner have just started the wedding planning!

We have both agreed that we would like a small ceremony - this will already have around 30 people attending as we both have a lot of immediate family!

we would then like to have a large reception on the same day and at the same location for around 150 guests. Is this a good thing to do?

i have been reading various forums online and this way seems to be frowned upon slightly.

We are doing it like this as we feel it's more important for our family to share the intimate ceremony bit then have a large piss up basically with our friend!

any outside input would be much appreciated though Smiley smile

3 replies

Latest activity by HappyBrownConfetti849, 25 of September of 2017 at 13:31
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

It sounds absolutely perfect to me - which are the forums where it has been frowned upon, are you in the uk or usa, sometimes when people are searching google along the lines of wedding tradition a lot of usa related info comes up with some very different views to the uk's attitude. When you say reception are you referring to the evening because the "reception is usually referred to as being the drinks and meal after the ceremony which is when people sometimes like to keep the numbers down and then invite everybody else to the evening reception.

Or are you thinking about a late wedding 4 -4.30 and then perhaps a 1 hour gap and then everyone else comes at 5.30 -6 pm for the ?

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticGoldDiamonds981 ·
    • Hide content

They aren't all on here, I just typed in google 'small ceremony large reception' and loads of things came up. I think it's more about the gift giving thing but I don't expect anything from anyone I just want people to come and celebrate the fact that we just got married but if I was to invite everyone to the ceremony my weddin would be huge and that just not me at all!

I have spoken to my best friends and they are both perfectly fine about it just wanted some feedback from other brides and brides to be!

im in the UK x

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly what me and my OH are doing, purely because I suffer from anxiety and I wouldn't be able to say my Vows infront of 100+ people. So small wedding, bigger reception with live music. :-)

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

It's exactly how people do it now, evening reception numbers are almost always larger than ceremony numbers. The ceremony rooms just don't have the space for the seating and it's a logistical nightmare

There are a few people who think it's weird, particularly for church weddings , my nan said why keep numbers down for the free bit then pay for food for even more people?

What you're doing is perfectly fine x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics