Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner February 2016

Small ceremony with large party/reception 2 weeks later

RomanticIvoryDiamonds239, 13 of June of 2015 at 11:17 Posted on Planning 1 6

Hi everyone

I am new to this site and looking for some advice please. We are getting married next year with a very small ceremony (just us and our parents). We are planning a big celebration 2 weeks later for all our family and friends.

Ideally this would just have been a big party. However, as quite a few guests will be traveling from overseas and from various parts of the country we cant really expect them to turn up for just an evening party with a buffet. So instead, we're going to start early afternoon with drinks and a sit down meal, but informal, i.e. no top table, speeches, cake, bridesmaids etc. although I will be wearing my wedding dress.

Due to space constraints we can only have 140 (I have a large family!) to the first part of the day but could have more to the evening part where we're having a band and disco with a buffet.

So two questions...

Would people find this weird? Having a reception with no wedding

Also, would it be ok or not to invite people just for the evening part? We're really struggling to keep within the 140

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by Kate, 25 of June of 2023 at 17:58
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

If you have a look at my report (address in my signature below), you'll see that I had my wedding on a monday and followed it with a party on the saturday. Nobody minded coming just for a party and it gave me the chance to wear my dress again. We did have speeches but didn't have the sit down meal or bother with tables etc...

We definitely didn't have any issues with people finding it weird - a lot of people told us what a good idea it was!

Feel free to have a nose and ask any questions that you like ?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's exaclty what we did and we had people come from all over and no one minded a jot. They were just happy to be sharing the party. We all wore our wedding outfits and it was ace.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    RomanticIvoryDiamonds239 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies for your positive comments, glad you both enjoyed your days

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's odd at all. In fact we are doing the same. We're having a party a month after our wedding but we're not having a sit down meal we're having a bbq buffet. I think it's fine to invite people just to the evening part :-)

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think people would find this weird at all and I think it'd be fine just to invite people to the evening. I wouldn't be offended if I was a guest and wasn't invited to your meal x

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    RomanticIvoryDiamonds239 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies, it's reassuring that we are hopefully not going to offend people!

• K
    Beginner August 2023 Monmouthshire
    Kate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello
    I’m new to this site & how you’ve described your wedding with a small ceremony then a party with speeches but without the meals is exactly what I have in mind. How do I go about having a nosey on yours? I can’t see a link or address anywhere 😣 xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics