Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2011

Small Envelopes Royal Mail Stress!

Aleox, 5 March, 2011 at 00:04 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all,

I've just finished making my wedding invites, and am really pleased with them.. have included RSVP envelopes from a pocketfold website. They are 121mm x 95mm ... not a problem I thought ... as they were advertised as RSVP envelopes. Have just gone on the Royal Mail website and it says that envelopes must be a minimum of 140mm or an "absoulte limit" of 100mm. So they are within the absoulte limit but not the recommended limit... the bit that worries me is that underneath it notes that;

"Recommended limits mean those items which are easy for us to handle. If your envelope or card exceeds our recommended limits but is still within our absolute limits, we'll do our best to deliver it. We may not be able to deliver items which exceed our absolute limits. You will have to pay for them to be delivered using another service. These items don't qualify for compensation cover."

So what does this mean?!? Are my RSVP's going to get lost in some weird Royal Mail parallel universe ?!?!

Has anyone else sent out small envelopes and recieved them all back ok? I'm really stressing out as have purchased and stuck stickers on over 80 mini envelopes now! I'm tempted to send one out myself just to see what will happen to it but would be greatful if anyone has experience with this to calm my stressed head lol!

14 replies

Latest activity by Snuggle-bum, 6 March, 2011 at 11:55
  • BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I received a Save The Date magnet from a friend last week which was tiny and in an envelope the same size as it (A vistaprint magnet, although not sure of the size).

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

?I'm beginning to panic now, we are just about to print out our 'save the day' magnets and were planning to post them this weekend.

Our envelopes are VERY small, , , , , , ,

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt worry too much about it. We sent out tiny little cards in envelopes and everyone got theirs. Think the size of ours were about 5cm by 7-8cm. so really tiny.

Suppose they could get lost easily, but think it would be ok. ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't worry.

I send things in envolopes a lot smaller all the time and not had a problem yet. Also had several parcel envolopes a lot smaller and had no issues there either.

• victoriamarie
    Beginner July 2011
    victoriamarie ·
    • Hide content

I sent business card size save the date magnets out in small envelopes, I wasn't aware of any royal mail restrictions and everyone got theirs as far as I know.

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

I work for a solicitor and we post mail of all shapes and sizes, we've never had any problems so i wouldnt worry to much.

Just be careful with the weights of your invites because they can get you for under paying for your items and then your guests will have to pay a penalty (the difference plus an 80p admin fee)

If you still have your doubts i'd just pop into your local Royal Mail distribution centre and just ask them x

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Mine are A7 and I worried about this. I spoke to my friend who got married last year as she had the same size RSVP envelopes. She said she had no problems and received all that had been sent fine.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm not!

xxx

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

My OH used to work for royal mail, what it means is that envelopes that small can not go through the machine (which reads the postcode and sorts it electronically) instead they will be sorted by hand. They wont get lost its just royal mails way of trying to get people to use envelopes a size that will go through the machines for ease and speed.

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

My rsvp cards were A7 74mm x 105mm so teeny weeny!

All 100 (save for a few that were "lost in the post") came back absolutely fine.

I gave it no thought at the time so I wouldn't worry about it- I think it's just the Royal Mail covering their a**

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, you could send a letter the size of an elephant and Royal Mail would still manage to lose it...

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL!

I wouldn't worry, our RSVPs were teeny tiny and didn't even have envelopes, they're just like mini postcards. They've mostly come back fine, a few have been 'lost in the post' but firstly, I'm thinking some people have just used that as an excuse, and secondly, we sent out 50 in total so would have expected a couple to be lost whatever size they were.

As a 'bonus'... a lot of ours have not got a postmark, so if we were feeling really skint we could steam off the stamps and re-use them haha!

• A
    Beginner July 2011
    Aleox ·
    • Hide content

Phew thanks everyone! Feel far less stressed now lol!! Thought I'd post a flash of them as a thank you!

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I love those Aleox! Coming to this late so apologies but our RSVPs were def below the size guide above and we got them all back absolutely fine!

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Woooo your my date twin ?

They have those restrictions because of the machines, they can get chewed up in them and lost in them with them being so small, they aren't much smaller though so should be okay Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics