Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Toadslass
Beginner May 2014

Small Family Wedding - Venue Ideas?

Toadslass, 26 of June of 2013 at 19:02 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hiya

Me and my partner have just got engaged Smiley smile yay!!

Its my second wedding (this one is to the right man - my childhood sweetheart I guess!) and he is not keen on the whole traditional big day (plus my parents wont pay again!!!!) so we have decided to have a small wedding with a maximum of 15 guests.

Our idea so far is to have an afternoon service (none religious) and then a private evening meal following photos and pre dinner drinks!

Soo now I need to find the right venue! Everywhere seems to advertise the all singing all dancing possibilities but I haven't found anywhere shouting out about catering for small groups.

We live in Tyne and Wear but are pretty open to ideas about where if anyone can think of somewhere that sounds good?? We have arrange to view Holkham Estate in Norfolk and a couple of local hotels but any further ideas you can think of would be much appreciated! We have also considered abroad but I think Im too much of a control freak to go with that option!!

Thanks for reading Smiley smile x

8 replies

Latest activity by *Funky*, 26 of June of 2013 at 22:38
  • StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

First off Congratulations!!

How bout instead of trying to find a venue that caters for small parties you look around to hire a part of a restaurant out? Also have decided on a registry office or do you want it all in the same place?

x

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Congrats! In your shoes I would have a low key register office service followed by a blow out private dining meal in a really fabulous restaurant.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We got married in a restaurant. Although we had the entire venue, there was an option to only have certain areas/rooms. Might this work for you? Google for 'private dining'. On my trawl through the Internet looking, the Hotel Du Vin chain seemed to offer exactly what you are looking for (providing you like their style).

http://www.hotelduvin.com/locations/newcastle/occasions/

• Toadslass
    Beginner May 2014
    Toadslass ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks for the quick responses!

Not feeling the love for a registry office as our local one is rank. Hotel du Vin looks fantastic, exactly what we would like if only it was in the country more than the middle of town Smiley sad x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, for some reason I processed your request as one for city locations. But anyway, you might have more of an idea of what type of thing to look for now? Private dining restaurant, licensed for ceremonies.

Do you want proper countryside or would a village feel be OK?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Depending on your budget and how far you want to travel, the Star Inn at Harome (near Helmsley) looks absolutely gorgeous and it's about 1 1/2 hours away from Newcastle. Straight down the A19 to Thirsk and then a little way through the countryside. It's lovely and intimate - very rustic - and caters for smaller numbers. I fell completely in love with it when I was looking but just couldn't afford the prices! They do ceremonies too.

http://www.thestaratharome.co.uk/star_weddings.htm

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I've shot two small weddings, one with seven guests and one with thirty. Both receptions were in a nice restaurant and it worked really well. The restaurants they chose had private rooms too so the couple were able to decorate the tables with flowers and favours etc.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

It might be a bit too far but how about riding on a steam train, getting married at a train station booking office and then a cruise up the River Dart?

http://www.dartmouthweddings.co.uk/

You can knock the price down a lot by having less people and changing to a smaller boat.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

We having a small do (25 people)and went down this route, most venues seemed to advertise their smaller function rooms as conference meeting rooms (some look a bit corporate but there are a few gems too) or the private dinning rooms so dont be put off if when looking at websites you don't find what you are looking for in the wedding section of a venues website.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics