Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2007

Small "no fuss" wedding ideas.

LadyJane, 23 of November of 2008 at 17:50 Posted on Planning 0 11

WOW, it's been a while since I was on here!

I'm posting now on behalf of my Mum who is getting married in February and at the moment is calling me several times a day asking for ideas and running things by me. We're trying to strike a balance between "no fuss" and actually managing to mark the day in some sort of way to set it apart from any other family get together type event.

The order of the day so far is a ceremony at a registry office before moving on to a restaurant/pub for a meal. It's not the kind of place that generally hosts weddings though so there won't be any need for table decorations and place cards etc. There won't be an official photographer so it will just be me and my Uncle taking piccies after the ceremony and in the grounds of the meal 'venue'. After the food we will move into the bar/lounge area and people can come and go as they please from that point and the day will end whenever the last guest leaves.

There won't be any speeches/readings or toasts. There won't be a cake however I'm thinking of ordering some of Trish's wonderful cookies that could be given out to guests after the meal as a kind of favour/cake substitute.

The meal venue also has rooms and my Mum and Step-Dad will be staying over so I was thinking of asking the reception if we could put a basket of goodies in their room as a little treat when they go to check-in. Something along the lines of some chocolates, wine/champers and maybe some nice luxurious pampery things along with our wedding gift to them and cards etc.

I was just wondering whether anyone on here can think of any other low key things we could do just to make the day a little more special?

Thanks in advance

LJ xx

11 replies

Latest activity by LadyJane, 28 of November of 2008 at 17:55
  • Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

? Hello Sam

Im having a blank on anything else, but your ideas so far sound good!

• L
    Beginner October 2007
    LadyJane ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Zoe xx

It's so difficult trying to scale down all the lovely things they want to do and what I can surprise them with. They'd both really love a huge event but want to keep everything rather low cost and neither of them feel that they can make too much of a fuss as they've both been married before which I know is rubbish but it's their day so they must have it how they want it hehe!

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

Im having trouble thinking of things that can be scaled down as well. H's brother had a small wedding with similar reg office and pub but I didnt know H at the time so don't know the details. Im sure there will be some people around with some good ideas, Im a bit passed the old wedding planning now. Ive been married 9 months today!

• L
    Beginner October 2007
    LadyJane ·
    • Hide content

Woohoo! that's how I feel too, it's been almost 14 months since we got married and obviously longer than that since we decided what we wanted!

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

It can't be 14 months surely!? blinking heck that has gone fast

• L
    Beginner October 2007
    LadyJane ·
    • Hide content

Tell me about it, still only feels like it was a few weeks ago but yes it was October 07!

Just had another thought.... I still have the fabric rose petals left over from our wedding tables, I could sprinkle them on their bed and use the rest to make the basket of goodies look nice. Assuming the hotel let me into their room or will do it for me lol.

Blimey it'squiet on here thesedays!

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

I think its usually a bit busier. It doesnt seem like that long ago! But then again I have moved again since then

Thats a lovely idea. Kate did that for us.

H's parents got a surprise on their wedding night they opened the suitcase and confetti flew everywhere, H's gran had got hold of it before it went up to the room ?

Oooh can you get a polaroid or a little printer and get a pic for them on the day like Kate did? I thought that was such a lovely touch.

• D
    Dopper ·
    • Hide content

What about an album or book that guests can sign? That is pretty low-key, but will leave your mother with something lasting. Perhaps you could add photos of your mother and step-father with the guests after the wedding to the comments the guests leave?

How about a donation to a cause your mother and step-father care about? Guests could contribute if they like.

Do they really not want a cake? Even something that doesn't look like a wedding cake? Something that tastes lovely and doubles as dessert? If they want to keep costs down, perhaps a guest can make it - particularly if they want to avoid the formal look of a traditional wedding cake.

• L
    Beginner October 2007
    LadyJane ·
    • Hide content

Ah, I never thought of a guest book. I'll suggest that, thanks.

They definately don't want a cake. I even offered to bake and decorate one myself, or to at least make some cup cakes but they don't see the point.

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya

I've done a couple of small weddings and I have to say, there's no reason on to have all the things a larger wedding would have unless like your mum they don't want it.

On the smaller weddings they bothed had 'pre reception' drinks, so arrange for arrival champagne/sparkling wine to served in a private/closed off area. Check with the venue that they allow confetti (make sure it's biodegradable) for a confetti shot, this always makes it feel like a wedding. You could have a vase ready for the centre of the table for your mum to put her bouquet in it, you could also use this as a simple centre piece. What about using candles/tealights just to add something to the table? Instead of a proper cake, why not choose a dessert that they could cut instead eg/ a whole cheesecake, pavalova, tiramisu? Ensure there's plenty of wine on the table ready too. Have a guest book ready too, maybe with a polaroid camera with the sticky photos you can put straight into the book. I think the cookie idea is lovely.

Other than that the rest of the things are the details, placenames, menu cards, favours etc. Your mum's wedding will be a wonderfully special day with or without the smaller details. At the point where they are exchanging their vows, it's this moment which makes it a wedding the rest is just a bonus.

I'm sure she'll have a great time.

Ruth

x

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladyjane ?

Gosh it's ages since we've "seen" you on here. Not really got any ideas, but just wanted to say hello and hope your mum has a fab day x

• L
    Beginner October 2007
    LadyJane ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey hun xxx

Thanks everyone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics