Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lauren
Beginner October 2022 Central & Glasgow

Small Wedding Ceremony, Big Party After

Lauren, 4 of August of 2021 at 08:07 Posted on Planning 1 3
Hi, my partner and I have always said when we get married it would be a very small wedding ceremony followed by a big party at night with everyone to celebrate. We have booked the registry office and have the venue sorted for the party. At the ceremony we have decided it would be my mum, the grooms mum, my gran, my two bridesmaids, my fiancé’s brother, groomsman and best man. That’s what we have always wanted and we’re starting to get excited. So after I asked my two best friends to be my bridesmaids, I thought it best to tell the rest of the family the details, explaining how we wanted a small ceremony but there is a party in evening (so still technically invited to the wedding) but this has now caused a huge fall out with my aunt and cousin (who have not been there for me the past two years, unlike my two friends) they are claiming they are excluded and are making me out to be such a bad person. Need people’s thoughts as they are making me feel terrible and I’m now not excited at all 😭

3 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldBridesmaid18836, 4 of August of 2021 at 17:17
  • Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry this has happened to you. Once again another example of family thinking they have a ‘right’ to be included/invited/involved in your wedding!
    You say they haven’t been there for you the last few years I take that to mean you are not close?

Try not to get stressed or upset just set it out simply letter/email/phone call/in person chat, you have decided your plans for your wedding, you would love them to join you with all your other guests at the reception party.
    It is no slight on them just you and your fiancé’s choice of how to have your wedding and if they choose not to come, that’s up to them not you.
    I had similar with an aunt she sent a message accidentally including my mum threatening to boycott my wedding as I didn’t invite my cousins (coz we don’t get on) and they weren’t her children but my other aunt who was coming, all her kids were invited! In my case a small Covid wedding made it a moot point anyway but it’s completely her choice on how our relationship is from now on, I feel no guilt for planning the day I wanted and I was not going to pay for people I didn’t like just because!
  • Lauren
    Beginner October 2022 Central & Glasgow
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for replying, you’ve made me feel 10x better. They were nasty to me during my whole pregnancy last year and things haven’t been the same tbh. She’s playing the card of ‘you’ve invited friends over us’ and I’m like yes, because my two best friends have been more like family than yous all my life!!

No body else has a problem with our plans, just them two and it’s so childish!! Thank you again, I will set it out explaining that we’ve decided our plans etc! ❤️
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry you’ve lost the excitement for your wedding. If they are guilt tripping you and making you feel bad about yourself then they don’t really sound like the type of people I’d want at my wedding anyway.
    At the end of the day this is your day and you guys should be planning the day you both want. If they don’t like it then that’s their problem.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics