Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2016

small wedding, West Yorkshire, focus on the party!

HappyIvoryCakes314, 17 of February of 2015 at 19:17 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi everyone!

we plan on getting married in 2016, most likely October, and want to get married in West Yorkshire (where h2b is from). Although I'm from Ireland, we decided on getting married over here. I'll be honest, it's great in a way because the people I really want there will travel, and those who I would have felt obligated to invite won't travel! :-D we mainly decided on his hometown because my family can travel a lot easier than his.

We're talking a maximum of 40 guests. Our ideal day would include a late marriage (early evening) a nice sit down meal, and then the party. For us, it's all about the party. We'd even like a regular resteraunt meal where people can order what they like. We're just struggling with coming up with a venue idea! Somewhere with a bar and a dance floor. Be that a hotel or not; I would however like it near a hotel for my guests to stay in.

any ideas on what to google? I've tried searching "private family functions" "venues for just the party" etc. I think what I really need is some inspiration! I'm also finding it hard because I don't know the area. We live in essex. I can think of countless places back home; even bars that do incredible meals that could give us a private section for the night time frolics (not totally private, but sectioned off).

Its not that I want to do it cheap, I'm just not a red carpet on arrival, 5 course breakfast dinner and master of ceremonies kinda girl!

Thanking you you all in advance,

xxxx

8 replies

Latest activity by Barnett2015, 27 of February of 2015 at 22:53
  • M
    Beginner November 2015
    MrsNtobe71115 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at a place called chilli barn in otley. It's a recently converted barn which is on the grounds of a restaurant/cafe. We are doing exactly what you have described, 30 people to the ceremony which is at 5:00pm then straight into an evening party for around 80 guests. They have done us a massive discount because they are treating it as a 'party' as opposed to a 'wedding' which has been nice on the budget!

the only thing is that it is a vegetarian restaurant, I don't know if that would sway your decision at all (we are getting around it by having a pork pie wedding cake) the food is AMAZING though!

There isn't too much about it online yet as it has only recently got its wedding license though

• H
    Beginner October 2016
    HappyIvoryCakes314 ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow! That sounds amazing! Can I ask for a ballpark figure that's it's costing? If you'd rather not say, I completely understand.

I won't lie, I love meat so wouldn't be overly impressed with vegetarian only but that's just me. Loving your wedding cake though!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

There's the engine shed at wetherby. Or what about getting married at your local registry office then hiring a restaurant?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter got married in Holmfirth (Last of The Summer Wine town) at The Huntsman Inn which is a well known restaurant with an excellent reputation for good home cooked food. They have a function room as well as the restaurant. The function room has a small dance floor. I would say the restaurant seats about 60 and the function room seats 100 including the top table. It's in the countryside high up on the moor and the restaurant is 'barn' looking. They have a small number of rooms for guests - I think it was 14 rooms including the honeymoon suite. Here's a few photos:-

• Hard to Handle Band
    Hard to Handle Band ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

have you tried Holdsworth House in Halifax? My band have performed there at a wedding (in the Stuart Room), and staff and general ambience were pretty nice. We have also played at Nostell Priory in Wakefield and Wentbridge House Hotel in Pontefract. We're also performing at Hollins Hall in Bradford later this year.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I'm a wedding photographer based in Leeds. There are lots of great venues here!

For 40 guests you could hire one of the Leeds bars, like Toast on Wellington Street. Or upstairs at Mook they have a nice function room.

The Chlli barn place on the Chevin is somewhere I thought was completely meat free. I spoke to a bride who said she was told meat is not allowed at all - so I'm surprised to hear they are allowing a pork pie wedding cake.

One of the nicest modern interiors in Leeds is found in Aria Suite at Woodhouse, but I think it's too big for your wedding.

I almost forgot... Gatehouse Cafe at Kirkstall Abbey converts into a wedding reception venue. You can have the photos taken at the Abbey too. It's really a unique venue. Just get in touch if you'd like to see some photos.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I have many clients like this and a barn or tipi was a nice way to go so they could have a lot of relaxed outdoor time. If you're somewhere with an active restaurant it might be more populated and you might have restrictions on party time.

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MrsNtobe71115 ·
    • Hide content

Paula@ollievision - they have allowed the pork pie wedding cake no problem! It's the cooking/smell of meat so getting own catering of hog roasts etc that they are completely against. They even told us they'd allowed 1 couple getting married in summer to have a 'prohibition tent' with cooked, cold meats etc in for guests.

happyivorycakes314 - they are charging us around £1500 for venue, ceremony and food. We will add drinks packages etc on top of that but that's a rough figure. They've said we have a discount because of the late ceremony time and also time of year as were getting married in November

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

OOO I was going to suggest the chilli barn also! I live very close and haven't been in but have seen the construction, eaten at the restaurant and seen gorgeous photos. It's worth a Google!
    Other ideas would be Hoyle Court, East Riddlesden hall (I am getting married here in a few weeks!) , Thackray medical museum, chevin lodge hotel, hollins ball Marriott hotel, weetwood hall, oulton hall... Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics