Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Justkeepswimming
Beginner July 2016

Small wedding worries

Justkeepswimming, 30 of March of 2016 at 16:09 Posted on Planning 0 7

We want a small wedding to save on cost and also because we are shy people and don't like being the centre of attention. I initially thought it would be 60 day guests and 40 extra evening guests. Now it is looking more like 45 day guests and 20ish evening guests (what with people deciding not to bring their children and others not being able to come due to living abroad). We are limiting it to only very close family and friends during the day, the evening is more relaxed. At first I was feeling pleased that it will be less people as it will save us a lot of money and OH is pleased because if he had it his we it would just be the 2 of us in a registry office!

However, I am now worried that the atmosphere won't be very good if there is not enough people. I don't want the wedding breakfast room to look really empty and I don't want the evening disco to be really boring and no one dancing.

Am I overthinking it or should I invite some more people?! (Wedding in July)

7 replies

Latest activity by AnthonyWinyardEntertainment, 31 of March of 2016 at 16:30
  • jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

It's not about the numbers, it's about the people who are going. I'm looking at about 60 day and 40 extras for night and I've chosen a venue which is a good fit for the numbers. My friend had a bigger wedding, 80 day guests, and there must have been near another 80 evening guests, and all she did was walk around the tables trying to get round everyone and barely spent two minutes having a sit down, she had the same glass of wine all night! As long as the people you care for the most are there, then who cares how it "looks". As for the evening disco, people will dance if you play good tunes.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Dont worry about it. We are only have 50 people all day (in a room they say can fit 100!) and night as its a long way to travel (2 hours or so) for a few of hours in the evening. It is what you and your guests make it. If everyone knows each other and its relaxed people will mingle, have a laugh etc and thats all that matters. If no one dances at the disco then no one dances.

We arent having a disco for that reason but we have 'background' music that wil lbe loud enough for people to dance to if they want whilst it wont be so loud people have to shout to be heard over each other.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We had a grand total of 4 of us and had a lovely time so I wouldn't worry. It sounds as though you will be surrounded by a small group of people (if you ignore it's a wedding it's not that small!) who love you and want to be there. People have decided not to bring their children so want to make sure they have a good time. As said you will be able to relax more and have a proper chat to all your guests. I really wouldn't worry about it. Venues sometimes have smaller rooms or ways to make larger rooms more intimate so if you're worried have a word with them. I wouldn't invite people I didn't really want for the sake of having a bigger wedding. I'm sure it will be lovely.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We are having a wedding of 48, I dont think its small

think about it in reality it more than would attend a birthday, Ive had great birthdays with only 6 people lol

we are having the opposit venue problem, finding some where big enough is killing us but we dont like stately homes or big ballrooms etc... we just want somewhere cosy that we can actually fit people into

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

I've performed at all sorts of weddings. Whether there are 20 people or 200 makes no difference. A smaller more intimate wedding can have just as much atmosphere as a larger one. Its about the people that you want to share your special day with. Hiring an award winning magician will also help ;-)

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Mrshappygirl ·
    • Hide content

We only have 24 people to the actual wedding (in Italy) and I couldn't be happier. It is our closest family and friends and I am SO looking forward to it being so relaxed and intimate and being able to spend quality time with our nearest.

The 2nd reception we are holding back in the UK and numbers are around 98/100. This terrifies me slightly! I too don't like being the centre of attention but we felt we had to hold another 'do' for the people that were not coming to Italy. If I had it my way i would go for the smaller wedding any day!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

It's all about quality.....not quantity! You'll have a fab day if you both feel more comfortable with the smaller numbers x

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

Really just repeating what many others have said above. I've performed at a few weddings of less than 50 people and even one of 15 and the atmosphere was great at all of them and with a much greater intimacy.

My hunch is you'll have a fantastic day and will realise by around 9pm there was nothing to worry about! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics