Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2015

So angry and upset. family issues

Princess Bride 2013, 13 of March of 2015 at 09:52

Posted on Planning 81

so we went out last night to drop off our wedding invitations and it all turned into a bit of a nightmare. My other half mum decided to kick off at the fact that not every single one of her siblings were invited to the sit down meal. Due to finances we have not been able to invite all of our family...

So we went out last night to drop off our wedding invitations and it all turned into a bit of a nightmare. My other half mum decided to kick off at the fact that not every single one of her siblings were invited to the sit down meal.

Due to finances we have not been able to invite all of our family members to the wedding breakfast. We both have very large families, soak decided to invite 50 of the people who are closest to us.

so anyway we handed her the invitations and she immediately started to say how she had never known anything like a wedding and that she was not at all happy and that we need to put this right.

I informed her that's not all of my mum's family were coming either, it wasn't just hers but for some reason she wouldn't really believe me and insisted that i give him an exact breakdown of how many of my family were coming to the wedding.

so me and my partner it began to explain that in fact she has more people coming to the wedding than anybody else. She then went on to say to my other half "you need to uninvite some of the others!" as she was pointing at me.

I was absolutely fuming and insisted that i would not be sacrificing what little family i had coming to accommodate all of hers and that this was the only way that we could see that this would be fair on everybody.

She then decided to focus her attention on how many friends we had coming and said that we were wrong for inviting any of them as family should always come first, bearing in mind we haven't seen some of our family for years.

she then said we should have just got married abroad to save hurting anybody feelings and that its wrong of us to do what we are doing and she has never known a wedding like it.

Just wanted your thoughts on this, so fed up.

And to top this off the OH's brother isn't speaking to us either and refusing to come shopping to get his suit because my brother is the best man. Such a nightmare!

81 replies

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

So pleased to hear you have sorted things

Good luck for future planning and I hope you can enjoy the rest of it

xx

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

*Hugs* I'm so happy to hear you've managed to talk it out with your OH.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.

I haven't heard from my future MIL since she kicked us out the house, not even a text. I've had no thanks for the invites (handmade! ) which I dropped off, nor have I had a sorry for the way she has insulted my family and all the upset and stress she has caused!

I am so done with her now.

Also, me and my OH now REALLY regret backing down ? but too late now!! It's just really eating me up lol

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to let it go and remember that the approach you used didn't work. It's all experience and not invaluable. Also you've shown everyone how willing you are to compromise and that she's being silly.

Don't let it get to you. It's her loss and you'll have a wonderful day celebrating your marriage!!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

First of all sorry that you and your hubby to be had to go through all of this.

I understand you did what you had to but it hasn't taught her that her behaviour is not acceptable. I'd be tempted to sit her down like the child she is and let her know that although you let her get away with this now, it was only because you love your fiance and to be clear you and you fiance will NOT accept that behavoiur in the future. I really would have to express to her that it is what it is , but it won't happen again. She may feel like you are talking down to her but it sounds like you have to break it down to her. if she then decides to throw her toys out of the pram again, then she can play with them in the yard and let you guys get on with it. the only reason I mention this is because she won't learn and it sounds like she may just do it again before and after the wedding.

I think it will do you good as well ( a little closure) as you said your piece and you can move on, if she decides to be a T@$£t again then its her loss. Most of all OH needs to back you up 100% on this and this mustn't ruin your day!

Don't stress!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have given in to her as it then let's her think if she behaves this way in the future then she will get her own way. Enjoy your day, don't let her ruin it for you bothSmiley smile)

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    HappyIvoryBridesmaid246 ·
    • Hide content

U know what I'm in the exact same boat!! Only I did pay for my mums family to come (I haven't seen any for 10+ years) and they have all rejected our invites ???? money well spent!!
    YOUR day YOUR money YOUR guests!! No one else matters!!!!!!!

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

The plot thickens ladies.

(Deep breath) So, my OH's brother is now practically on strike against the wedding. He is ignoring all attempts my OH is making to contact him. He wont answer his phone or reply to texts.

My partner is due to get suits for his groomsmen on Sunday and his selfish, childish brother knows this, yet he is still ignoring him. Bearing in mind we marry in just over 10 weeks.

He is running around to the family saying how he doesn't feel like they are brothers anymore and that my OH spends more time with me than him nowadays and that my OH has changed!

Well, I'm glad he has changed considering we met when we were 21 amd now we're 32! So annoying since he is bitching to everyone else but won't man up and tell us straight.

Sorry ladies but I am ready to scream now with all this nonsense. It's one pathetic drama after another.

So glad i have this forum to vent in, I think I would go crazy without it lol

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Unbelievable! I really do admire your patience. I'd have cut them off long before now.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Wait, your FBIL is complaining that your OH spends more time with his future wife than him?! Er...I should bl00dy hope he does! *headdesk* Sounds like he's a spoilt little boy who needs to grow up. I'm amazed you've both put up with their childish behaviour for so long.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to tell them both to p!ss off a long time ago!

Also, about 2 months ago my FMIL asked if my brother ( who she's never met) could do her bathroom to save her money. I asked him and he agreed. The night she kicked us out her house I gave her his number and I've just been informed that (despite not speaking to us since), she has had the nerve to ring him to arrange when he's going around!

I'm livid right now. She has never met my brother so it's a bl00dy cheek for her to use my family for her benefit, especially after she has spoken about them.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh god! I thought my husbands family were a nightmare, you have the patience of a saint to put up with this!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Weird!! They sound totally bizarre!

let your OH sort his brother out. My guess is that mil has been talking him into this.

I hope your brother said he was unavailable and can't do her bathroom?

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

I hate this situation, it feels like for the sake of my relationship I have to just put up with it and I shouldn't have to. I wouldn't from my own family, although they would never be like this anyway.

My OH has also had enough but it's still his family and he loves them.

I feel sick at the thought of walking down the Isle in 10 weeks and seeing them. I really do not want them to be there at all. Its obvious they are totally against this wedding as they think I'm taking him away from them!!

They know my OH will hate them being upset and I honestly feel like they are trying to emotionally blackmail him into not going through with the wedding.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Have you told your OH that you are concerned they are blackmailing him into calling off the wedding? I think he needs to know how worried you are about their behaviour and why.

I don't think he will, but I f he really cancels now then you've had a very lucky escape. in that case he's not ready to get married and probably never will be.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any concerns at all about him calling the wedding Off as i know how much he loves me. Its just awful that i'm marrying the person i love knowing his family are trying to sabotage our relationship.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

It is sad, but there's nothing you can do to make them be excited and happy about your wedding. Accept them for what they are (a bit messed up) and focus on the good things. Your family will be there and it'll be a lovely day.

By letting them affect you like this you're reacting the way they want you to react. As soon as they realise you don't give a monkey they'll give up.

Good luck with it all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics