Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

misselle
Beginner July 2013

So annoyed at myself damaged my car this morning

misselle, 4 December, 2012 at 11:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I’m really annoyed with myself today. I was running late for work today and had to take the car in because I have a meeting this afternoon in a location that’s 30 minutes away. I had to park the car in the car park across from work which I try and avoid at all costs because the spaces are really tight and to be honest despite driving for nearly 4 years I’m not the best at parking and get nervous when it’s a tight space.

The only free space had a post on one side and a car on the other and it was a really awkward angle to get into and it was taking me ages so I got really flustered going in and out trying to get it. By this point I’m really late for work and trying not to hit the car on the passenger side of my car then BANG! I hit the post on the drivers side with my wheel arch at the back of my car. I panicked and tried to reverse out to straighten the angle up but the car was stuck and made the most awful scrapping noise so I tried to go forward and just the same thing. In the end I had no choice but to go forward and drag the wheel arch against the post until It was free.

When I finally got parked I got out to see the damage. The whole wheel arch is dented beyond belief and my little blue car is now covered in white scratches over the arch so that no blue is visible.

I phoned OH and he roared down the phone at me about how stupid I was which just made me feel worse. I know its my own silly fault. I know nothing about cars so I don’t know if its fixable or if the damage would make the car dangerous to drive but I can’t afford the £350 excess to get the car fixed on my insurance and can’t really afford to get it fixed at all if it needs it. All spare cash we have goes towards paying the wedding off. The cars really old as we were planning on buying a new one after the wedding but I don’t suppose that’s the point really.

Sorry for the rant guys I just need to vent, I’m far too embarrassed to even tell anyone in work what’s happened although everyone can tell there’s something wrong with me and keeps asking if I’m alright. I’m so annoyed at myself I feel like crying and I’m dreading OH actually seeing the damage to the car.

7 replies

Latest activity by MrsB2013, 4 December, 2012 at 13:25
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

My H is exactly like you and always gets me to drive to town as he hates the mutistories (or we have to leave at the crack of dawn so there are loads of non-pillar spaces).

He once hit the car and scrapped it on the front corner. I didn't notice for 3 weeks. It was actually his parents who asked me on the sly 'Has A had a bump in the car?' I thought they meant something rude.

Don't worry! It's only a car at the end of the day. It might not even need fixing!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ah you poor thing.

I can't imagine that scraping the outside would make the car unsafe to drive.

Personally, I'd just leave it but then I don't give two hoots about how my car looks. Mine is still missing the VW badge from the front and has a cracked number plate from when I went into the back of a mini bus.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I damaged my old car once not long after passing my test and just left it for about a year as I couldn't afford it! In the end my dad rubbed it down and repainted it himself to blend in with the rest of the car - it didnt cover the dent but the paint looked better (even though he did a naff job bless him, it started crumbling off again a few months later!)

Take it to a bodywork place and just ask them for a quote for a repair. They don't charge to give you a quote and you can take it to a few places to get a general idea of cost. They can repair a lot cheaper than it costs to replace it and you wouldn't know.

Also, ask around if people know of anyone that does it cheaply. I got my old car fixed just before I sold it, someone recommended a dodgy guy, rough as anything but he charges £150 to respray the whole panel and it looked wicked after.

And lastly, my H is just like yours, he would yell at me too! Accidents happen and it's not the end of the world, although it was you that did it, you can't help having an accident, don't beat yourself up about it.

• Muesli
    Beginner June 2013
    Muesli ·
    • Hide content

After rereading mine it sounded a bit harsh! Sorry! I hope it's not too much damage!

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

I feel much better knowing I’m not the only person who’s done stupid things. I’m so annoyed I even tried to get into the space normally I wouldn’t even have tried to do it. I was so concerned with not hitting the other car I didn’t even think about the post. I’ll get a photo later when I go for my meeting but from what I remember its worse than just scratches I’m pretty sure that the Arch is cracked.

I’ll have to try get time to take the car to our local garage and see if he can do anything with it or recommend anyone to even do a patch job on it. I just need to hide it from my dad when I got pick up my dog after work he’s going to flip at me when he see’s it, he already thinks I’m awful at driving and parking. Driving I can do perfectly fine parking I can’t unless the space is big enough to get a bus in it.

I will no be avoiding multi story car parks again for a very long time. With the amount of things that have gone wrong for me and OH this year I can’t wait for 2012 to end.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I've just remembered something rediculously stupid I did a few months ago, that might make you feel a bit better!

I went to bluewater with a friend and went in their multi storey bit, she was pointing out how the car opposite had a 'funny face' while I was reversing into a space, I was too busy looking at that car to even pay attention to where I was going! I checked the passenger mirror and saw there was plenty of room her side between me and the next car and didn't bother checking my side as there was no car parked there. When I got out I'd parked literally about half a cm away from the hugest pillar you've ever seen, God knows how I missed it, I think I could have potentially taken half my car off ha ha! I got a picture of my friend laughing at it as it was literally the stupidest thing I've ever done...

So don't beat yourself up, everyone does these things!

• samjh87
    Beginner October 2012
    samjh87 ·
    • Hide content

We all do daft things.. Just that the men generally don't confess to it so like to shout when we do something silly to do with cars/ driving!

Last year I miraculously turned 2 lanes of traffic in to 3.. I was driving, had a shopping bag on the passenger seat (was actually a really nice shirt I had been to buy H!) which was sliding all around and distracting me, threw it in the back and when I looked up all the traffic had stopped infront of me!

I panicked, completely forgot how to drive, couldn't remember which pedal was brake so decided rather than slam in the back of the car try to drive in between them.. Completely didnt work and pretty much damaged every panel on my car.

Luckily only 1 other car was damaged which cost me about £500. I got a new car as my car was trashed and the repair was more than the car was worth! To make things worse I had just face tanned, looked like I'd had a mud bath and had to stand at the side of a busy road, in the rain trying to explain why I was such a poor driver.. I cried for the rest of the night why H provided endless rubbish food so that I didn't feel so bad Smiley smile xx

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel - i brought our car to work (underground most awkward carpark EVER!) and took a corner to get down not realised you couldnt take it in one and scrapped the passengers side door and bent it right in oops.

I got it fixed pretty quick as he couldnt look at it but scraps wont make it un drivable not sure about the arch bit though - maybe take to a garage and asked for a no obligation quote for the work

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics