Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

So much for the devil may care attitude - plus ones

18 September, 2012 at 18:47 Posted on Planning 0 17

So our invites went out. When we made them OH's ex was dating his now best friend and they had been together for six years. They then split up. He got with another girl and it seems to be serious even though short lived. He asked for a plus one, I was reluctant and then we had a guest drop out and she is already friendly with most of our friends and so thought may as well invite her.

OH's ex, still coming (even though I would have gathered at this stage that I had only been invited as dating the best friend at the time the invite went out). Emailed OH on his old email account that she wanted to bring a plus one. A guy she knew from playing World of Warcraft that lives in London, we live in Belfast. She is not dating him, she just wanted to bring him along. I flipped. First of all, she should know she was only invited as she was OH's best friend's gf at the time and secondly she now wants a plus one that noone even has met including herself.

So I flipped with OH as he kept saying that he had 'talked to the guy' online and he seemed nice enough. Until i told him that if he did not tell his ex and this guy that they were not invited, I was getting my father to send half the bill of the reception to his father.

What is frustrating me more is that OH seen it as no big deal as my father was paying. But it would have been a massive big deal if his father had of been paying.

17 replies

Latest activity by onetwothree, 19 September, 2012 at 00:07
  • clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Posts like this never cease to shock me!

Unbelievable!

I would do her a short note or email just saying she was only invited as plus one of best friend, and regretfully, numbers have now changed and there is no room for her, or her plus one. I would so UNINVITE. The nerve of her!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing.

Somethings boys can just be a bit dim (generally, not yours I'm sure) and if you just explain to him that you only want to have people there that mean something to you, or the plus ones of your special people, and those political invites you have to do, otherwise your mum cries etc

It is not for former plus ones, people they've never met (let alone you!), and for babysitting other people!

chin up

x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Why do men have trouble with saying no when it comes to things like this??

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I'd feel the same. I don't want people there just to make up numbers, I only want people I care about! Stand your ground hun.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ha tell him the outrage caused on this forum by your post - and then maybe he will see it!

I used that trick with my hubby to be all the time, eg "I spoke to blah and blah about the thing your parents want to do at the wedding, and they said it would be really WEIRD AND INAPPROPRIATE....* There were only limited times it would work though

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    Lauralillypete23 ·
    • Hide content

Can't you tell the ex politely that she was only invited as a guest of the best man? If she isn't your or your oh's friend I wouldn't worry about upsetting her, x

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

So in effect a plus one wants a plus one! How could she not get the hint that she was only invited by default! Hopefully it will come good after you chat to your fella!

• N
    Beginner March 2013
    Nic78 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, the cheek of some people, it just never ceases to amaze does it!!!

I agree with all the other girls on here, send her a polite but to the point note to explain that 'you're very sorry for the misunderstanding etc etc, but you aint coming to my wedding and neither is your cyber pal!!' (well maybe not exactly those words but you know what I mean)

In your OH's defence, I know mine would be exactly he same - they know its not right but they wont want the confrontation of telling someone that they aren't invited so its easier to just go along with it. Blokes Smiley smile

Anyway - I really hope you manage to sort it out. Dont let these things spoil your excitment of organising your day.

Best of luck x

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with all of this! x

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

It's v rude in my opinion! I know a lot of people / guests think 'ah one more isn't any harm' but they all add up.

Im from NI, not far from Belfast! Where's your wedding reception?

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

I guess this all depends on how close she was as a friend..... so although she was your OH's ex, this is clearly from over 6 years ago and there can't be any hard feelings as she was with his best friend. She's clearly known him (your OH) for years and maybe sees herself as his friend, which isn't unreasonable. So it wouldn't be crazy for her to expect her own invite. The plus one is perhaps more about her not wanting to turn up on her own, as she won't comfortably fit in with old friendship groups if her ex boyfriend is there with someone new. If she is invited, giving her a plus one seems the best way. If she's not invited at all, then that's the easier option for numbers but pretty much crosses her off as staying friends..... To me, this is all about your OH making the decision about how he views her and whether she's someone he expects to keep in touch with. If not, no problem, just clarify she's not invited. If he does think of her as a friend, then it might need a rethink.....

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

Well if there's no friendship, then sod it and make it clear she was the plus one then!! If your OH doesn't like her then that makes things easy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics