Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2014

So upset :-(

Baker16, 20 of May of 2014 at 10:55 Posted on Planning 0 15

Ok so we got married 5 weeks ago yesterday and we're not happy with husbands wedding ring. We feel we've been totally mis-sold it from independent shop in Bluewater, Kent.

They told us palladium was such a strong with holding metal that would not scratch etc yet after 5 weeks it looks like it's been through washing machine 20 times over.

After my my husband visited shop yesterday he's been told wear in tear (he does not work machinery) I've called this morning and basically the manager/owner pretty much laughed down the phone and said if I'd bought a car then scratched it would I return it and complain. I said that wouldn't be wear and tear clearly, I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with the no customer service skills person so I advised him I'd be speaking with trading standards... The man then had the nerve to tell me to get lost and then hung up on me!!!!

I wish I'd saw this forum before as I see a few people don't have mind words about this wedding ring shop, mentioning no names!!!

15 replies

Latest activity by MartinC Photography, 20 of May of 2014 at 22:48
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Awww hun thats awful! Def get onto trading standards, as that ring definitely didnt live up to the description. Did you buy it on a credit card? If so your purchase is protected and you can get your money back, best ringing the bank for advice on that one. Hopefully you can get your money back and buy hubby a new one from a shop that actually knows what customer service is. All the best

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

That's awful. Palladium is a soft metal but saying that my engagement ring has a high content of palladium in it and mine hasn't tarnished at all. Iv worn mine for well over a year and yes it could do with a good polish but it's certainly not marked in anyway. I would take it to another jeweller and ask their opinions. I would find out if you have been sold the ring you were told you were getting and go from there. Either way their customer service is awful and I would be shouting from the roof tops telling everyone I knew to avoid them!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Also if your in kent the jewellers that made my engagement ring and will be making our wedding bands can re-alloy. If you can't get it replaced they maybe able to help as you don't have to rhodium plate their palladium. The shop is Ortwin Thyssen in Canterbury x

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

This is disgusting!! It shouldn't be in that state after 5 weeks......I think you should NAME AND SHAME!!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think its pretty normal! Mine and my husbands rings are palladium and both scratched within a relatively short period of time. We just get them cleaned where we bought them (free for life) every few months and they are as good as new, all shiney and sparkly. I think you may be expecting too much.

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

To be honest no ring is ever going to be scratch free. My engagement ring is palladium and within a week of wearing it I had a scratch, I was so annoyed to be the point I stopped wearing it just so I could preserve it instead. But after paying all that money you want to show it off, so now I just give it a light buff every now and again to make it shine, but will drop it into jewellers every 6 months or so to get them to polish it up, will especially be making a trip just before our wedding to get it buffed! It's unfortunately just one of those things.

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Holster86 ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with the others on here - my engagement ring is platinum and also looks like its been through a washing machine! Platinum and paladium are renowned for scratching and getting that blunt look to them!

I simply plan to get mine buffed before the wedding to give it its shine back! We bought the OH a titanium ring to stop his looking like this.

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Holster86 ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with the others on here - my engagement ring is platinum and also looks like its been through a washing machine! Platinum and paladium are renowned for scratching and getting that blunt look to them!

I simply plan to get mine buffed before the wedding to give it its shine back! We bought the OH a titanium ring to stop his looking like this.

• B
    Beginner April 2014
    Baker16 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your comments, im complaining about it being tarnished. Its purely the fact how badly damaged it looks already. We can deal with needed it polished that's not a problem. The manager/owner sold us the ring by telling us how this metal never scratches, so in theory feel we've been mis-sold it.

5 weeks of wearing a ring and my husband is embarrassed to show anyone as it looks hideous.

having the manager tell me to get lost over the phone is bang out of order in anyone's eyes because I questioned his workmanship

Luckily having spoken with Trading Standards I should be able to get this resolved ;-)

• H
    Beginner September 2015
    HappyBlueDecor143 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I read your post about palladium wedding band and yes you were misinformed about it not scratching, I'm a jeweller and can advise you on its durability. Palladium is a very hard metal and is even harder than platinum, it's just slightly grayer and less rare. It can withstand an awful lot but it does still pick up daily wear and tear. I am sorry that they have lead you to believe it's scratch resistant. It is still a very good metal to have as a wedding band as it's super tough and won't ever lose its shape. Did the jewellers not offer an exchange or a free buff? Unfortunately that's all they're entitled to do.

Hope this helps x

• Vipur
    Beginner October 2014
    Vipur ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like he got Palladium mixed up with Titanium possibly. Do they have a head office? I would try contacting them. I hope you get it resolved as regardless you should not have been spoken to like that.

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the metal, the complete lack of customer service here is appalling and bound to upset & distress you both, good for you to go to trading standards, no-one deserves to be spoken to like that. It's a wonder they're still in business carrying on like that! I hope you get it sorted soon.

• B
    Beginner April 2014
    Baker16 ·
    • Hide content

This is 5 weeks before and 5 weeks after

• B
    Beginner April 2014
    Baker16 ·
    • Hide content

It's a independent shop wedding ring studio in Bluewater so there's no head office.

no offer of buff, clean or anything other than a "get lost" down the phone to me.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

My wedding ring is Palladium too and to be frank mine looked worse than that after a couple of weeks. I don't even have a manual job! I did ask other married guys and it all seemed pretty normal. Theirs were all scratched to buggery too so I just thought it was normal.

If you've been told it won't scratch then that's very wrong. Everything scratches.

What is your ultimate goal here? What I mean is, in an ideal world, what do you want the manager to do? Replace it? A new ring be it Palladium, Platinum or white gold. They'll all scratch. A refund? You could of course but then you'll just have the same issue at the next shop.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics