Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner May 2022 Cork

So upset about my Hen do

Aoife, 26 of April of 2022 at 12:15 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 11

So my hen do was the weekend just gone, I was so looking forward to it as I have been having a rough few weeks. Within the week before my mother, aunt, SIL and MoH all had to cancle, all valid reasons but still very disappointing. So the journey there was just myself and one of the other girls and it was grand but nothing exciting like I'd experienced before at other hen parties.

We arrived at our destination and it was in the middle of nowhere with nothing around it, the accomodation was lovely but just a bit quiet. We weren't really allowed to play music as it was a wellness retreat place so the first night it was some fun but there was only 5 of us as so many had to drop out. We had some fun games and then went to bed early.

The next day there was an activity planned and the rest of my friends were joining us. It was so far removed from anything I would ever plan for myself I was so upset by the whole event. We went to a farm and apparently loads of hens do this an love it but I grew up on a farm, I've seen all of these animals up close before. most of the activites on the day were just people watching me do things, I hated it, worst of all was the bloody bog I had to walk through so I didn't come across as a joyless AH, I hated it and then I was muddy and cold because I had bog on me for the rest of the afternoon. I went to the bathroom and cried to myself I was so upset. I don't know how my MoH got it soooo wrong. The evening was spent at a gastro pub in the middle of nowhere with no life, the best craic of the whole weekend was the taxi home with 5 of my friends when we finally started to have a bit of craic. When we got back to the air bnb I wanted to open the bottle of bubbles my Fiance had bought me for the hen but I was told not to at that time cause it was a good bottle and I should save it. Im so mad at myself for listening to the person who said it but I was just too upset. Everyone went to bed at like 1 because it was so remote most people had to drive if they didn't get a lift with someone else.

Of all the hen parties I have ever been to and organised this was the most disappointing and whats worse is only one friend even noticed how unhappy I was. I honestly never though I would cry so much at my own hen do. I asked for one simple thing for the hen, willy straws and there were none, it just seems to sum up the whole weekend. Nothing I really wanted, planned for someone else, and I was just expected to be ok with it all. I was actually so happy the organiser wasn't there so they didn't have a chance to see how unhappy I was.

11 replies

Latest activity by Paige, 8 of May of 2022 at 22:23
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Aw this is really sad Smiley sad not sure how long you have left until your wedding but is there no way you can organise something yourself? Even if it isnt as big as you would like it to be, it might be good to do something that you enjoy and would make you happy x

• A
    Beginner May 2022 Cork
    Aoife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really wish there was time but the wedding is in 20 days, I don't really have the time to do something else without risking getting covid too close to the wedding.

• Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That really is a shame Smiley sad I completely understand your frustration and why you're so upset, I guess there's not much you can do about it now other than talk to the people who organised it and explain why you're upset. I'd try and focus on things you can control now, especially so close to your wedding, and try not to dwell on it too much x

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry you’re upset about this, it’s such a shame. I am too much of a control freak to hand over all the organising to someone else so I choose my venue and told my MOH (younger sis) what I wanted. She did a great job and I’m just sorry to hear you were down after your hen do. It has happened to others though so you are not the only one. And I think the tradition of the MOH arranging it and keeping quiet is not always that helpful. There were surprises of games I didn’t know about on my hen but I knew everything else as I even organised peoples train tickets.

Try not to dwell on it and maybe you can organise something after the wedding- a post wedding hen party, who says that’s not a thing! Good luck on your big day
  • A
    Dorset
    Anne ·
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry. The weird thing is it sounds very much like the hen we have planned for my daughter and she will love it. We are all different though and I’m sure your friends thought they were doing the best. Please don’t let it spoil your wonderful wedding day.
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    So sorry to hear this. Sounds very disappointing for you. I’m sure your friends thought they were doing what they thought was best, just a shame they got it wrong. Have you got time to just arrange a night out before the big day? Nothing big but hopefully that’ll make up for the hen do in a small way.
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry you didn't get the weekend you dreamed of. Could you have a few close friends over for dinner or takeaway and open the bottle of bubbly since I know it wouldn't be ideal to have a night out. Maybe a good girls night in have your friends stay over.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry it was disappointing. Why not have a redo after the wedding? Invite all your friends over for a night out as a post-wedding celebration.

• Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    So sorry it was so far from what you were hoping for and I love the idea of you doing something in the future but I’d say, the fact you are getting married hasn’t changed- for me, the hen will be fun but the wedding is the big deal
  • M
    Beginner July 2022 Central & Glasgow
    Mature Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry you had this experience. I am not having a hen do so this isn't a worry for me. Last time I was married I had 2 - one for the youngsters (as I was at the time) and one for the mums and aunts etc. Was fun but expensive and exhausting. All you can do now is look forward to your reception which will be amazing x
  • P
    Beginner August 2022 Buckinghamshire
    Paige ·
    • Hide content
    I completely get this as this was very similar to my experience! I hope you managed to find small pockets of joy like I did. Its sad that ot wasn't what you thought but at least it wasn't the wedding day! If you want to hear my story feel free to message me (not sure if you can- very very similar to yours so might make you feel slightly better!) Hope your wedding goes smoothly x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics