Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abby
Beginner April 2025 West London

Social media uploads on wedding day

Abby, 1 of June of 2024 at 19:05 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 13
Hello girls
Has anyone had to navigate through the fine line of guests posting pictures of you on social media on your wedding day?!! I don’t have a problem with people taking pictures together or of me! I just feel a bit uneasy recently for some reason, of people posting me on social media during that day, before I have even posted a photo myself? I think I’d be annoyed.
I’ve seen a few posts of people taking about this in the past so I’m sure I’m not alone. Part of me is like is it even a big deal it’s not like I’m some celebrity! However I just think it’s slightly bad manners to post before the bride- I’ve been to many weddings and I’d never post the bride+groom on Instagram like on the actual wedding day ?!I think it sort of stems from when I got engaged and my friend took a photo of me congratulating me (2 mins after it happened) so some friends who wernt there found out from Instagram. That’s slightly different tbh but I feel it’s similar in a way- I would want to post my wedding pics/dress etc myself?!Help! Anyone else thought this or should I really not care about thisThanks xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Lynne, 25 of July of 2024 at 16:31
  • M
    Curious February 2025 Essex
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    I've seen signage used about "unplugged ceremonies" basically asking people not to use their phones/take photos/post to SM

I think it's "etiquette" to not post anything on SM before the bride and groom do, but I guess not everyone even thinks before posting...
    Personally for me, it really doesn't bother me. Our nearest and dearest will be there with us and I couldn't give a stuff if anyone else then "sees" things before I get around to posting
    I think it's very different to birth or engagement announcements where generally all your closest people aren't there with you at the time those things happen and so you want to announce it yourself
    But, a wedding? They're all there. Let them be excited and do what they like regarding posting! That's my opinion on it anyway but, I know many feel like you...
    Get a sign made if its something that will really bother you
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

You are not alone and quite often in a civil ceremony if you ask them then the registrar will make an announcement for you about not (please ) not posting on the day. Don't forget to make sure that your suppliers also know that they should wait until you have posted. When asked I send the sneak peaks to the couple so that they can post them and then I post. But usually they are happy for me to go ahead. I did once hear a story of a MUA who posted photos of the bride in the morning after she was ready even before the ceremony !

I have even seen a photographer who will charge more if you do not want them to post on social media.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If it bothers you, I would just have an announcement or a sign (or both) that requests people not to post photos until you have. But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. We didn't have great internet access on our honeymoon, so most of our friends and family had seen our photographer's first few photos long before we did, never mind everyone else's!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we had to wipe a photographer off our shortlist when she insisted we agreed to her posting any photo she took at our wedding onto all her social media accounts. We had invited a family who do not allow any photos of their children to appear anywhere online and explained this to her, but she still insisted that she had the right to post their pics or use them in her advertising...

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Abby! I’m not on social media and my partner doesn’t post anything so in my circumstance I wouldn’t see it anyway. BUT, I do think it’s rude when guests post on the day. Just enjoy it and be present and upload tomorrow. We are having no phones or cameras in the church. Once we are out snap away as you please. However, 2 of my friends will be having no phones all day as they think when you see drunken bridesmaids on the toilet (hah, yes I’ve seen those in the past) and drunken behavior they think it lowers the class of the day. each to their own but I’ve never thought about it that deep. Regarding the comment above about photographers posting, I never thought about it that way. They should take that into consideration. There is a photographer near where we live and every wedding she does she posts over 100 on her Facebook and I personally think that’s ridiculous and although I never considered her that’s something that would have put me off. Our venue has asked if they can post and understand if we don’t want them too. I think we have to respect that it’s how they advertise but businesses should respect the couples privacy aswell. I don’t mind the odd thing but I wouldn’t want a whole album for the world to see on there.
  • Abby
    Abby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is very true and I’ve been thinking it’s really not a big deal 😅 will obviously be unplugged for the ceremony but the reception is okay and like you said all those I care about will be there anyway!! Thanks for your reply x
  • Abby
    Abby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg that’s crazy that she posted the bride before the ceremony!! And the photographer charging more, I haven’t heard of this!
  • Abby
    Abby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply, this is very true I think I was over thinking it. Like someone else’s said once the whole ceremony part is over it doesn’t matter what people post really! Hope you had a great wedding and honeymoon
  • Abby
    Abby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I wouldn’t want to go down the ‘ no phones’ route I would find that strange if I went to a wedding. I get it but I think it’s very extreme ! Luckily my venue and photographer seem respectful from what I’ve seen with their posts and I’ll have a chat with my photographer nearer the time. Thanks for your reply x
  • Sara
    Beginner May 2024 Norfolk
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    I got married on 28th May and I said no photos on my Facebook, I will post the first pic to tell everyone
    , then if you want to post then that’s fine,

But no one did, I sent them on watsapp and fb messenger, I uploaded the pics on fb on the Saturday when I was home from honeymoon and family sent me pics though txts to upload ,
  • Georgia
    Beginner November 2024 Northamptonshire
    Georgia ·
    • Hide content

We are getting our Celebrant to make an announcement about not posting photos until we have. We would like to chose the first picture which people see 😊

• A
    Monmouthshire
    Alex ·
    • Hide content

For such a thing, we decided on the contrary so that our photos would be seen by as many people as possible, and we decided that we would buy facebook account that was already ready, so to speak, promoted , uploaded photos there, and an excellent album came out

• L
    Beginner May 2025 Co Antrim
    Lynne ·
    • Hide content
    Having been married before and been to quite a few weddings, my favourite example of how to navigate this was my sister put a little easel up saying no photos today, and the minister actually asked that no one share photos on social media until the bride and groom had posted. You do what you feel is right! You're absolutely well within your rights to request this. I wasn't so bothered last time, and this time, I don't even have social media so care even less haha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics