Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WickyWack
Beginner July 2013

Sofas....

WickyWack, 21 of May of 2014 at 09:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Okay, so following on from "Beds" I now need sofa help!!

We really like the look of Laura Ashley sofas (who doesn't!) but really can't afford these prices..

We've been looking at the usual DFS, SCS, Harveys etc but haven't found anything we both like.

OH wants a brown leather recliner sofa - I think they're ugly and too bulky and I would like a nice brown leather vintage neat and compact sofa with one mink/brown fabric sofa

We can only afford space for 2x2 seaters and a chair and our budget is about £1200..(which apparently doesn't get you a lot!)

Any advice??

11 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 22 of May of 2014 at 00:04
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ours is from DFS but I have to say I don't think it's especially good quality. The fabric is wearing quite quickly and the runner things they talked us into getting to protect our wooden floors fell off within weeks! Luckily it was in the sale and only £299, but we were starting from nothing in an unfurnished flat so even that seemed like a lot. Leather might wear better, but I didn't want leather. We did really struggle to find any designs we liked - so many of them had weird leather trims that I just thought were ugly.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We bought exactly what you don't want (brown leather recliners) from Harveys. We haven't got them yet so I can't comment on quality.

I was told by lots of people to avoid DFS though as they seem to have a lot of problems with bottoms collapsing.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

tee hee!

?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm currently sitting on the floor waiting for harveys to deliver our new corner sofa with media unit in brown material. When we were looking around we went to dfs and then harveys and could see the difference in quality imnediately. Will let you know how it holds up!!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Our sofa is from Next and we love it. We've had it for 5 years and apart from the cat scratches it is still in great condition and I'm sure will last at least another 5 years. Admittedly it isn't leather but I'm sure their leather ones are just as good.

We bought it on their 2 year interest free credit and that was great too. No hassle and we hardly noticed the amount coming out each month.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We've got a 4 seater brown leather sofa that we bought from SCS about 4 years ago. It hasn't sagged or worn or anything, it's been brilliant. I think it cost us around £800.

Just to make you jealous we've also got a vintage Laura Ashley armchair that I love!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Chesterfield! I love chesterfield sofas, I want one.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I hate - HATE - our DFS sofa. Loved it when we bought it 5 years ago, but now the cushions have lost all their plump, the fabric is wearing thin and it's just crap considering how much we paid for it. I grumbled to someone recently and they said DFS sofas only really have 5 years in them. WTH? My old sofa was 10 years old when I bought it second hand and it lasted me another 3 years before I sold it (because I was moving to a furnished flat in London). It was magnificently comfortable and lovely to look at compared to what we have now.

Stupid DFS monstrosities....

Anyway. Don't buy a DFS sofa.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I have a blue fabric L shaped sofa from IKEA. I love it, it wasn't massively expensive, maybe £450 ish. That's 3 years and it looks pretty much new (apart from some stuff I've spilt on it!!) it's got a bit mouldy in our stupid house but all the covers washed brilliantly. My mum has a very dark brown leather one and it's comfy but I'm not keen of leather. I think hers was from tescos, maybe £350. Hers is about 5 years old and apart from a few claw marks, it's like new.

We looked at DFS but we weren't impressed with the quality you were getting for the amount of money. The one I liked was about £1,700. Which was very similar to ours now.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I sat on a sofa in Ikea yesterday which was made of purest COMFY. Oh god, I could have cried. I made very loud Comfy Noises while I shuffled round on it. I neeeeeed it. Only £850....

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I heard all the horror stories about DFS sofas AFTER I'd ordered mine and panicked. With 3 young boys mine take a huge battering but are still like new after 3 years. We did pay extra for the fancy pants stuffing instead of the normal stuff but the frame work has survived daily use as a bouncy castle.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We have a four year old DFS sofa and it is like new. Their four year interest free credit deal is great too. Just to give an alternative view, not every DFS sofa is crap.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics