Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner November 2018

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...

MrsGraves2B, 27 of April of 2017 at 16:01 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi!

I am currently planning for my winter wedding at Rowton Castle next year and there are a few wedding traditions that I want to adhere to on the day including this one.

'New' is simple and I have many new items and for my old, I am going to be wearing the first necklace that my H2B gave to me. Also my engagement ring is blue sapphire but I will probably put this on after the ceremony so I am on the hunt for an additional something blue as well.

I would love to hear what kind of things you have chosen as your ONB&B items, especially the types of things that you have borrowed if you are willing to share! Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by 2BMrsC, 6 of May of 2017 at 00:40
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Smiley smile

My Old (and borrowed technically) is my Mum's Petticoat from her Wedding back in 2001 to my Step-Dad

My New is like everything haha

My Borrowed is a) the petticoat and b) a pair of Swarovski Earrings from my Mum again

My Blue is a bouquet charm with blue ribbons and beads, which has photos of my deceased Granddads and Uncle on it so they're still with me Smiley smile

Xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Old. Me lol and a lace edged hankerchief tucked down dress bodice for when needed.

New. Most things.

Borrowed. The old hankerchief and a pashmina for later

Blue. Garter. Plus pretty much all of me as we married in the ice chapel lol. I found a heart shape gem with a flat sticky back which was stuck inside my dress.

Plusna silver sixpence for my shoe which was a gift from a friend.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

This was a tradition I wanted to carry on too Smiley smile

Old - Had the brooch of an old family member who is no longer with us on the stem of my bouquet

New - Most things

Borrowed - My mum's tiara - was also borrowed by another family member and kind of counts as old too I guess

Blue - I had blue twine round the stem of my bouquet and also blue 'I Do' shoe stickers. Plus some of my flowers were shades of blue as blue was our colour scheme. I think there might have been some blue on my garter too, can't actually remember!

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Ooo I love this!

Old - My engagement ring, it was my grandmother's and is from 1912.

New - My tiara, it's a bespoke one made by Andrew Prince and I'll be able to keep it and hand it down!

Borrowed - My great aunts pearls, I'm borrowing them from my aunt, the clasp was slightly broken, but when I went to my tiara consultation Andrew fixed it for me!

Blue - My false eyelashes, they are limited edition MAC Star Trek 50th anniversary eyelashes. They're black on the outside, but when I close my eyes they are blue on the inside!

Silver Sixpence - I actually have two now! I can't remember the years, but they both end in an 8. (As I was born in 88 and 8 is a lucky number). Although I'm wearing open sandals, so I've got a coin pendant and I'll be making them into an anklet. Then I'll either keep it as an anklet or make them into a necklace after the wedding.

• A
    Beginner November 2016
    Annaangeluk2016 ·
    • Hide content

Good question!

I always joked that my something old was my husband (he's older than me!) something borrowed was the credit card bill and I would be my something blue in case the weather was bad as it was a November wedding!

I actually had my something old and borrowed was a sixpence lent to me by a wonderful friend. Coincidentally it was from the year my Dad was born. As he has passed away it felt like another link to him.

Something new was easy, dress etc!

Something blue were my amazing royal blue shoes that I fell in love with long before I had a dress or a colour scheme etc! I also had a photo locket with my Dad's photo in tied to my bouquet with a blue ribbon and the locket was surrounded by tiny blue crystals!

Anna x

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content

All of these things are so sweet Smiley smile I only have my something borrowed so far, as my Mum has lent me her garter to wear Smiley smile

For my something old I would really, really love to wear a piece of my Nan's jewellery but at the same time I don't know if it would be rude to ask her?!

I think I might count my something new as my shoes as I absolutely love them ❤️

Not sure what to go for with my something blue but love some of the ideas I have seen on here!xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think your hands would be thrilled to be asked especially as Weddings used to be all about tradition in her day. X

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Something old - my great granny's wedding ring is being carried on a ribbon with my flowers.

Something new - I'm getting new perfume. I didn't want to wear anything else because my dress is embellished enough so I'm going to buy a new scent and wear it just for the wedding. That way it always reminds me of our day.

Something borrowed - I'm using my best friend's veil. She's not a bridesmaid because I wanted it to be just family so I'm carrying a piece of her down the aisle with me

Something blue - A friend just gave me this. She bought me a silver bracelet with a blue stone on it. It matches my dress and style so I'm going to wear it on the day.

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is very true! I will have a little chat with her next time I see her Smiley smile xx

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Echo what JayneE said, I think your Nan would be touched that you would want to wear a piece of her jewellery Smiley smile xx

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awhh thanks ladies - I really hope so! It would mean the world to me, especially as I'm not convinced that either her or my Grandad will be able to attend Smiley sad xx

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That will make it even more special for you if you can have a piece of her with you if they are unable to attend! My Nan is no longer with us and i'm going to have one of her rings added into my flowers so that a little piece of her is with me and that will count as my something old Smiley smile xx

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    LuxuriousPinkDecor346 ·
    • Hide content

Something old is underskirt as it's from friends wedding a long time ago,

Something borrowed is veil

Something blue is a little bow on my bra lol

Something new is dress shoes wraps I do have lucky sixpence which I will prob keep near me, also a photo charm with my step dad in who's no longer with us

Liz

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Something old is me, my H2B and a bracelet he bought me for our first Xmas together- not exactly 'old' but good enough- oh and my Silver Sixpence which is from 1963- not a significant date sadly but still old!

New is my dress, shoes, necklace etc etc

Blue is a ribbon on my garter and a tiny blue flower on a bracelet my MOH made for me.

Borrowed I was struggling with as it's supposed to be from someone who has enjoyed a long and happy marriage and sadly I don't know many... but tonight I have arranged to borrow umbrellas from both my long-married and fundamentally happy Aunts...and looking at the forecast for next weekend, we are going to need them!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics