Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Y
Beginner

Somewhere to put Marquee in Yorkshire.

yamyam21, 11 May, 2010 at 10:28 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi there

I could do with some help as we need somewhere we can put a marquee in or around west/mid Yorkshire , ideally around the skipton area. We are hoping to get married and as we already have our own caterers and a large number of guests we think its better to try and find a scenic spot of land where we can put a marquee. just for reception any where with nice views and that don't mind the fact we don't want to use their caterers, a lot of places insist on this and this is where we are having problems.

cheers

Simon

5 replies

Latest activity by Recycledbride, 7 October, 2011 at 17:23
  • Gen28
    Beginner August 2010
    Gen28 ·
    • Hide content

Are you wanting to get married here or is this for just an evening do after a reg office or church or something???

Because have you thought about seeing some of your local farms. i know it sounds horrid but they usually have a nice green field somewhere doing nothing. if your having a bar just make sure the person has a personal licence and you wont need to licence the field lol.

It can be really nice and theres no need to worry about nosie. Most Farmers will be nice about it and offer it for a reasonable price. You'll also get the beautiful view you wanted.

hope this helps

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately, I can't think of any who would allow you to use your own caterers Smiley sad I was going to suggest The 3 Acres at Huddersfield but they insist on their catering too but you would get the view! The only thing I can think of would be to try the local council. They may know someone who organises country fairs on farmland who may be able to help you. Emley Show near Huddersfield has the farmer's permission to hold their annual show on his land but wouldn't know how to really get in touch with him ?

• Y
    Beginner
    yamyam21 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the quick reply - our situation is pretty odd - my fiancée is from Halifax but we live in Birmingham - our caterers are berties of elland and although we could get married there - the missus used to work there and said it would be weird getting married there. So they can do the catering and we were looking at having the ceremony at skipton castle and then going somewhere else for the reception - we really don't want to get married in a hotel - as we would like it to be a bit more rustic - ideally a barn (like the craven crook barn at appletreewick) but larger, but with little success we are thinking of a marquee and were looking at maybe renting a large holiday cottage which would have room for a marquee - of course this would depend on them letting us do this.

will have a look at getting touch with farmers - but are open to all suggestions as skipton is just one idea.

Cheers inadvance.

Si.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Shibden Hall in Halifax? They may allow a marquee as it is close to the park.

• Y
    Beginner
    yamyam21 ·
    • Hide content

We haven't yet, but will certainly look into it now - cheers for the suggestion.

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

I go to the grassington festival every year. There is always a large marquee and catering on the site. It runs next year from 15th - 30th June. I can vouch for the location and views, Perhaps you could contact the festival organisers and ask about hiring the marque as it's already in place?

[View:http://www.grassington-festival.org.uk/:550:0]

failing that....I've been to wedding at The Red Lion in Burnsall and it was lovely and rustic with a fab riverside setting.

[View:http://www.redlion.co.uk/weddings.cfm:550:0]

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics