Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

k.j.w
Beginner June 2017

Song for first dance

k.j.w, 18 of June of 2014 at 19:18 Posted on Planning 1 42

Me and my H2B were at a wedding reception at the weekend, and part way through the first dance couples were invited onto the dance floor. Whilst we were dancing together we were discussing what song we would have and so I was wondering what you all picked? And why? Smiley smile

42 replies

Latest activity by Oldmen123, 13 of August of 2024 at 08:29
  • Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

We are having Rule The World by Take That. It was my OH's choice so I had to let him have it.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

We've always said we will have Sex on fire by Kings of Leon, it was number 1 when we met and was being played everywhere so very much 'our song' . We're now worrying it's too alternative so we're back to the drawing board however I don't want to look back in years to come and think we should've had 'our song' *so confused*

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

First time I had 'Just Watch The Fireworks' by Jimmy Eat World. This time we're not having a first dance.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

We are really struggly with this as we dont have an 'our song' I guess its something we will work out together at some point before the big day, either that or the DJ will have to decide!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

We had Lets Get Married by The Proclaimers. It is the song that prompted our proposal, is a nod to his Scottish background, it is easy/fun to dance to and the lyrics are v appropriate for us.

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

We are having ' I knew I loved you' by savage garden. OH picked it and I love it. We have never really had a song but everytime I hear that now, I think of him x

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

We are having Close Your Eyes by Michael Buble, its a lovely song and lyrics mean something to us

• MrsParadise
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsParadise ·
    • Hide content

We're having a acustic version on Newton Faulkner Dream Catch Me as that's "our" song, followed by Jason Maraz I Won't Give Up where everyone will hopefully join us on the dance floor x

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sash87 ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking either Elvis the wonder of you or the Robbie Williams cover of ain't that a kick in the head.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jeeez, make sure you do have it hun. "Too alternative" doesn't exist for a first dance. Plus everyone knows it, so they're bound to sing along whilst you smooch on the dancefloor.

Don't live to regret your choice. Your song is your song.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for this, we def won't be doing the traditional 1st dance waddle to it

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We would love this!!!! You could always do a live lounge version of it? Or just rock it out?!

We always suggest a song that means something to you both.

Ask your band to play a live version though! Smiley winking

James

The Spectrum.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately we're not having a band and I can't find an acoustic/unplugged version :-(

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

Think we're having Let's Stay Together by Al Green... because we love Pulp Fiction.

• MrsHertfordshire
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsHertfordshire ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack K.J.W but Im glad you've put the post up

The song we laugh when comes on is "Rockstar" by Nickleback - we had an hilarious night out with some great friends who 1 of which is no longer with us. But not appropriate as a first dance but it will be played during the night.

So went for 'At Last' Etta James as I grew up with her music my parents are older than most of my friends's parents and it is a lovely song and we have been together for nearly 7 years and with his brother marrying within 12 months of meeting his now wife - we have had stick over the years so thought it would be "cute/ funny"

But I understand now it is a really popular "cliche" song - mentioned it to my DJ many months into planning but not 100% confirmed all the music yet, now beginning to think should we pick something else?

Hmm - again sorry to hijack but whilst fellow hitches are thinking? xx

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it doesn't matter how cliché something is as long as you love it!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Rockstar is on our list too.... ok it's a bit risque in places but it brings back good memories for us as well. I don't see why it would be so inappropriate if you genuinely love it and it reminds you of someone who's passed?

Someone I know had Paper Planes by MIA, which is also a bit risque and different but worked so well as a first dance for them as it's "their" song.

I feel like not much is off limits when it comes to your first dance, well unless it's riddled with expletives or offensive words that is!

• N
    Beginner July 2015
    Norby-dagget ·
    • Hide content

We are having as our first dance I don't wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith. :-) we watched the film together at the cinema where we had our first date and that song has stuck with us. :-)

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Savethedate ·
    • Hide content

We are having' it's all about you' by mc fly. Cheesy I know but we both love it! Xx

• DeeBee33
    Dedicated November 2014
    DeeBee33 ·
    • Hide content

We're having 'For Good' from Wicked.

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

I will by the beatles because it's both our favorite song Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    caromb ·
    • Hide content

I think we're having How long will I love you (Ellie Goulding). Was going to be Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol) but I heard the ELlie one and fell for it... thankfully OH loves it too :-)

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We had I Swear by All 4 One. We don't have a song and it took us ages to agree on one but we both love this.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We're having "better" by Tom Baxter although most people will only know the Boyzone version. It means everything to us so I'm walking down the aisle to it as well

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We had In my life by The Beatles Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

We're having Angel by Shaggy. It was released around the time we got together and it always reminded us of each other ans became "our" song. We debated the original Unchained Melody as that was his mum and dads first dance.

• becca030713
    Beginner June 2014
    becca030713 ·
    • Hide content

Michael Buble "That's All" we decided it would be our wedding song years before we got engaged, the first time I heard it.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

beautiful song :-)

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsAAToBe ·
    • Hide content

OH and I met online and one of the first things we talked about was music. I sent him a song by my favourite band (who have since split) and he bought the album there and then. OH suggested that we have that song as our first dance Smiley smile (If any of my engaged friends are on this site, they'll now know this is me! The band isn't very well known in the UK...) our song is My Favourite Place by Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers. I think this is the exact video I first sent him - http://youtu.be/ukpplMGj2y8

• L
    Beginner March 2015
    leastone ·
    • Hide content

We are having Elbow "one day like this"

• Dizzycaz
    Beginner October 2014
    Dizzycaz ·
    • Hide content

We are having the greatest flame by Runrig, was going to have one day like this by elbow x

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

We're having Love is an Open Door from the film Frozen. When we watched the film for the first time (and then hundreds of times since) we just knew this had to be it - it's just so us!

Before we decided on that, we were going to have Queen - You're my best friend. But I think we will just have that playing at some point in the night Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics