Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2013

Song to walk down the aisle to?

jen110513, 7 of November of 2012 at 20:50 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi there,

We have booked an acoustic female singer for our ceremony and drinks reception, she is brilliant and can't wait to hear her on the day!

But I've just recently started thinking about the song I would like to be played as I walk down the aisle & all the songs I like are piano based I think! I have considered Des'ree Kissing You or Etta James At Last, I did find some acoustic versions of them on you tube with guitar but just wasnt the same!

Anyone have any suggestions at all?!

21 replies

Latest activity by S108HAN, 11 of November of 2012 at 15:05
  • L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Hi i am busy trying to decide music too. I need four pieces in total and havent chosen one yet! I would also love to see suggestions!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm always going on about these but love Aston they do classical covers of modern pop songs

check them out on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVv1g3CY6wQ&list=UUitrcdQCI1XC2x90GdH-Q6A&index=19&feature=plcp

There album is available via itunes!

• M
    Beginner January 2012
    manic_cow ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm having the Vitamin String Quartet version of U2's All I Want Is You which would work on acoustic guitar as well I think. I'd love to fit Thank You by Led Zeppelin in somewhere (although preferably the Chris Cornell version) but OH isn't really a fan, but that's a nice acoustic style song too. Other than that, there are loads of female singers who've done slowed down acoustic style covers of more obvious pop/indie songs, there's been a lot on adverts/tv shows recently, eg

Cat Power - Sea Of Love
    Cat Power - Wild Is The Wind
    Ellie Goulding - Your Song
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (was on the John Lewis ad, not sure whose version it was?)
    I Want You To Want Me (originally by Cheap Trick, was on Californication, don't know who covered it)
    You're The One That I Want (yes the one from Grease - it sounded good acoustic thougH! again on Californication I think)

Some of those may be too indie or too vague, depends what you're after really!

• MillieM00
    Beginner March 2014
    MillieM00 ·
    • Hide content

What about 'Marry Me' by Train? This is what I'm looking at and it's accoustic. Think it would also be lovely with a female vocal.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

My friend walked down to her cousin singing "i'll go where ever you will go" by the calling.

it was beautiful!

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

I'm having recorded music but have chosen the song "All I Need to Get By" by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell. Not traditional but significant to us.

• O
    Beginner March 2013
    Owl&thepussycat ·
    • Hide content

We ate having an acoustic version of you're the one that I want by Angus and Julia stone. My fiancé chose it x x

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

OP, Not sure if you realise but "Kissing You" by Des'ree is not a happy song. It's about the pain in love, not the happiness. Quick read of the lyrics will tell you that. I love the melody to that song but I refuse to play it at my wedding because it's an unhappy song!

I'd pick something a bit more positive for your isle song Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    staranise ·
    • Hide content

I'd say the same about joy divisions love will tear us apart too, its about a failing relationship and as much as I love the song, I can't bring myself to include it in the disco playlist, let alone the ceremony. But each to their own I guess Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner September 2013
    FutureClayton ·
    • Hide content

My friend had birdy - skinny love as her first dance which is about the end of a relationship and is a pretty sad song but her and her now husband absolutely love the song and he's always called her his 'skinny love' so for them it really meant something so I guess you shouldn't worry about what people may think, just pick songs you both love x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

My niece sang 'Make you feel my love' by Adele (not our usual genre of music) as I walked in.

If you read the lyrics it's more about someone that wants to be loved!! so not your ideal wedding song.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, we're having "iris" by GooGooDolls. Not the best wedding song either, but it's the song we both love.

I read my previous comment back and thought it sounded like I was suggesting you shouldn't have a sad song. Have whatever song you want, as long as you KNOW what the song is about. My point was make sure you know what the song is singing! I've heard loads of people had "grenade" by Bruno Mars completely unaware that it was a sad song. Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner December 2013
    tams82 ·
    • Hide content

I really want to walk down the aisle to Sunrise Sunset from Fiddler on the roof. When i was little my dad was in a choir and i went with him when he sang it at someones wedding. Dad is not with us now and that song just makes me think of happiness and weddings! My OH is not so sure but pretty sure i will get my way!!!

• Fran @ Hitched
    Beginner April 2012
    Fran @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

Have you taken a look at the wedding songs section on hitched.co.uk for suggestions?

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-songs/

Feel free to suggest new wedding song ideas, or vote for your favourites that have already been mentioned.

Fran x

• G
    Beginner December 2012
    Gemicle ·
    • Hide content

The music i've chosen for walking up the isle is special to me and my dad (who'll be walking me) - it's from star wars as we are massive geeks (across the stars - john williams)

Perhaps the person who is walking you down the isle will help you decide - it doesn't have to be a long song, just a song you love

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!

We are trying to decide between 'My Girl' and 'At Last' for our first dance!? I think we are leaning more towards 'My Girl' but I would then really want 'At Last' featured somewhere....I heard an amazing instrumental acoustic guitar version on you tube which I loved but think it was a little too fast for the entrance song, maybe for the walk back up the aisle??? We also really like 'Ordinary People' even though its a sad song, I love the part 'Girl im in love with you, This ain't the honeymoon, Past the infatuation phase, Right in the thick of love'.

I want the song when I walk down to be a little more emotional, to give me that goose bump feeling! Just cannot find a song thats suitable!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

We had hoppipola

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

We're having the Vitamin String Quartet version of one of our favourite songs, The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie. The lyrics are slightly ironic for a wedding, but since it's just the music we can get away with it and it's a lovely piece of music! We're walking out to the VSQ version of Eight Days a Week by The Beatles.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

My sister sang 'At Last' with a simple accoustic guitar backing at my brother's wedding. It was lovely.

I think I know what I'll be walking down the aisle to. My parents had Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel played at their wedding and I always thought I'd like it at mine. Then when we went to view our venue, it started playing on the PA as we walked in. I think I'll have them start playing but then we'll start walking as it gets to the final verse "Sail on silver girl, sail on by/Your time has come to shine/All your dreams are on their way/See how they shine/If you need a friend,I'm sailing right behind/Like a bridge over troubled water I will ease your mind

I'm emotional just thinking about it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics