Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2013

Songs for Wedding Ceremony - Good or Bad?

hales230780, 3 February, 2013 at 18:24 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi - new to site and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the subject of songs for a civil wedding.

Myself and my fiance are getting married on 31st August this year in Essex (second time around for both of us). Have been incredibly organised and have only the bridesmaid dresses and cake to order!!

We have made some initial choices on songs to have at the wedding and have chosen them because they mean something to us - but was just wondering would any of you choose a song because of what it means to you and your partner or something which you think is just appropriate?

Our choices are:

Bridal March (Wagner) - my entrance

You Do Something To Me (Paul Weller) - Register Signing

Here & Now (Luther Vandross) - Register Signing

Love Is Love (Culture Club) - exit of bride and groom

The last choice people may think is a little strange, but it is one of the first songs we listened to from one of the very first movies we watched together. We have tried to keep the wedding about me and him (as we are the ones getting married after all!).

Would any of you do the same and make different choices?

12 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 7 February, 2013 at 10:19
  • S
    Beginner July 2014
    SM2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in church, so will be having hymns, but if we weren't I think its lovely to go with something that has some meaning for you both, rather than something generic wedding-y.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where the bride walked down the aisle to Z cars, as she was a massive Everton fan, and then they went out to a song i've never even heard before, but it was lovely because it was clearly special to them both.

So yeah, I wouldnt worry about what's appropriate ?

xx

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

I think its great to choose songs that mean something to you. As long as its not something like "Smack my *** up"

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

I say go with what you like, I do love abit of luther, I am marrying in a church but hope to have music played still, a bit of Ave Maria, Luther Vandross and Al green...still not sure just a few ideas..

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi :0) it all sounds lovely and by choosing music important to you means that it IS appropriate for the occasion :0) we are having a church wedding but have chosen all music, hymns and readings which personally mean something to us, or which we just loved when we came across them I've opted to not have a traditional entrance theme. I'm still fine tuning (pardon the pun) the playlists at the mo but as we are having hymns and the church choir, I thought it would be good to have recorded music for whilst the guests arrive, my entrance and our exit. I've chosen orchestral film themes.... The notebook, the holiday, awakening etc and for the processional/entrance, I want the theme from a fave film of mine called Somewhere In Time. It's incredible music.... Dad had it at his wedding, we even had it at my Grans funeral!!! It's a piece special to me and dad as he introduced me to the film, so it will make walking down the aisle on his arm even more special. I haven't told him yet, and I suspect it will make a few of us very teary but it's too beautiful to miss out!!! As for our exit song, we haven't chosen yet..... Although OH suggested Queen's Another One Bites The Dust lol :0) xx

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

We have songs which also mean something to us and some that we just liked and thought fit the day and some that we think are amusing.

Bridesmaids walking down - Angels Watching - The O'Neill Brothers

Brides entrance - The Farm - Thomas Newton

Signing of the register - Bellas Lullaby, Clair de Lune - Debussay, Butterfly Waltz

Walking back down the aisle as a married couple - Under My Thumb - Rolling Stones

• trikys_jenny
    Beginner September 2013
    trikys_jenny ·
    • Hide content

Hi love your choices, though I did have to you tube some of them. I agree it's best to choose songs close to your heart, it makes it much more personal.

We're also having a civil ceremony and have decided on songs because of what they mean to us. We've picked:

Will you be there - Michael Jackson - guests seating

Footprints in the Sand- Leona Lewis - My entrance - this is one of our favourite songs from her album which was out when we first got together.

The Feather Song - Theme tune to Forrest Gump - signing the register - This is my favourite movie of all time and my OH calls me his 'Jenny', love this tune and was going to use it for my entrance as it's a powerful piece of music. My sister burst into tears when I played it to her.

We go together - closing song from Grease the movie. Exit of bride and groom. We wanted something fun and quirky so chose this as the words really suit us. We're planning on getting the bridal party to dance back up the aisle with us.

Took us weeks to decide on the right music, so at least that's one task off the very long list done!

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having canon in d for my entrance, signed, sealed delivered for signing the register and we go together (grease) for leaving Smiley smile x

• Dream Wedding Video
    Dream Wedding Video ·
    • Hide content

We had someone choose the theme from Bay Watch!!! don't ask LOL

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I think you should have whatever you want (as long as your registrar approves them).

Although people recommend three songs for the signing of the register, so I'd potentially add another one.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi :0) we have literally just finished our list 2 mins ago!!! really chuffed with the final outcome.....church wedding, but other than hymns and the choir singing during signing, we are going contemporary(ish!) .... Just hope the vicarage is ok with it, although he's a cool guy so I can't foresee any issues. I'm Putting together a compilation disc of film tracks for the prelude. I think half an hour should do it, so I have got themes from The Holiday, The Notebook, Forres Gump, One Day, The Lakehouse, Legends of the Fall, Awakening and Cider House Rules. For the processional, Theme from Somewhere In Time (incredible film...... Do watch it!!!!) then my entrance will be Etta James At Last. We are coming out to Stevie Wonder Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Well happy!!! xx

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic thread!

I've have gone for "Better Together", Pachelbel's canon and One Day Like This - the pianist playing for me has a long list of possible choices on his website - pianistwedding.co.uk

• A
    Beginner March 2013
    Ali63 ·
    • Hide content

Just a quick word of warning, my venue said that the registrars are very particular about the music choice and in a civil ceremony you can't have anything that mentions anything religious at all, no mention of heaven, angels etc etc. Always worth checking with your local registry office on how strict they are.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is right - can be very strict

I had a Bride enter to starwars imperial darth vader march here is a reminder for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzntZLHcYy0

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics