Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner October 2012

Sonsie brides??- UPDATED- It was brilliant! Recommendation included!

butterflystar, 25 of March of 2012 at 09:28 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi ladies,

I'm finally braving a dress trying on session in a couple of weeks. Getting married in October so thought I really should! I am a high street size 26 and have heard really good things about sonsie dresses. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of them and cost? I have maximum budget of £1000, including alterations, am I being realistic? Look forward to hearing some stories! Xxx

UPDATE!!!

Just had to share... I had the best experience today at a brand new shop called Curvy Couture. They are in Ingatestone near Chelmsford and really looked after me... I cried when I got up this morning as I was dreading it and I ended up feeling like a real princess..

So.. I am a sonsie bride now... just got to go back and put my deposit down! Phew... and yippeeeeeeee!!!!

xx

14 replies

Latest activity by butterflystar, 11 of April of 2012 at 20:55
  • Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I tried a Sonsie on and it was gorgeous - pulled me in in all the right places etc unfortunately though just not practical for the beach. Being a 22/24 I have to admit that finding a dress was a pain though I was lucky in a few shops to have a few dresses and some lovely assistants.

In the end being aware that my budget is rather on the small side I decided on a bridesmaids dress from Phoenix - the dress plus alterations and scaffolding lol are costing me a grand total of 225 quid so more money to spend on other nice things Smiley smile

Back to your original question - can't remember how much the Sonsies were but am guessing around 800+ If you can afford it and it makes you look fab then go for it if its important to you.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

The sonsie dresses are excellent, but i got mine in a sample sale for £350 so i can't comment much on price, although i believe it was around £900 originally. definately realistic.

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, i'll see how I get on trying them on. Which one did you go for in the end Vee Tee? x

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I tried on a sonsie dress I'm an 18/20 and have large breast and they were just sooo flattering the corset in them were really good held everything in place! And they were really reasonable I thought! The woman in the shop,said they will customise the dresses for you too which I thought was good!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i think it ends in 53

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Oooo is that the one with lace sleve?really like the look of tat one,isthe lace stretchy? Sure it wil beliveky- not long now! X

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Ah no mine is no longer on the site....obv i'm out of fashion, hence the sample sale lol.

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    amyc1984 ·
    • Hide content

I thoroughly recommend Sonsie dresses - I am wearing 9009 in 4 days time eeek! Got it in the sale for £499 plus £100 alterations (it was a 22 and I'm an 18) - they hold you in brilliantly and look stunning - can't wait to wear it ?

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I know this thread is a few days old now but my dress shop in Folkestone (Kent) posted this on their facebook wall earlier

'We are clearing some of our Sonsie collection on Ebay - take a look for a bargain......these prices are Ebay only.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230766033611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Don't know if it helps.....🙂

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow.... bargains.... I really like this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Ivory-Satin-Wedding-Gown-28-Sonsie-/230766017919?pt=UK_Wedding_Clothing&hash=item35bab9fd7f#ht_500wt_1304

But it would be rather daft of me to buy it without trying it on... wouldn't it?!?

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I agree -Karina (the owner of Pumpkins and Dragonflies - the shop selling the dresses) is lovely and as there haven't been any bids I'd suggest contact Karina direct - either through ebay, her email or on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PumpkinsandDragonflies - just explain the situation and maybe she'll take it off ebay for you (I don't think there have been any bids yet). If you tell her I 'sent you' (Katherine in Tanzania with the gold dress) she might wait a bit to give you the chance to try it on.

Then find your nearest stockist and see if they have the dress in http://www.veromia.co.uk/Stockists.html and have a quick try on and voila.

Failing that - you could buy it and if it isn't any good resell on ebay or preloved etc.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

One of my local shops has just had an event with Sonsie and I tried on several. They are lovely & give you a figure you didn't know you had! I can only remember the cost of 2 of them because they were my 1st & 2nd choices.

This one was £800 & something (nearer 8 than 9) - it doesn't appear to give me as good a figure as the second one but I think it was a lot bigger & the laces wouldn't pull any tighter.

This one style 91051 (which I've paid the deposit on today) was £720 and maximum alterations will be £200 but I think alterations vary significantly in cost.

It comes with detachable straps with are slightly wider than the ones you can see. The straps are plain & here I've got some sparkly ones which we felt finished the dress off nicely which I'll have done. It also comes with a sort of shawl type thing which is the same colour as the dress.

The sizes seem quite realistic - I'm normally a 24 on the bottom & the second dress is a 22 & doesn't quite do up (hence the knickers in the mirror!)

Good luck!

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

The second dress is lovely and far more flattering that the first. Aren't they amazing dresses though - for us bigger girls the support and scaffolding they offer is fab. If only ALL clothes were made that way.

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    mrsjw2be ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i am having a sonsie dress, was a size 20/22 when i ordered it am down to a size 16 now and it looks lovely so i am told, even tho i have got to have it taken in it hasnt altered the style or shape and holds me in in all the right places, mine cost 825

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Just updated... sooooo relieved! Thank you for the advice everyone! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics