Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2012

Sopwell house

blondebride1, 2 November, 2011 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello,

Im new here so hoping someone will be able to help.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Sopwell house as their wedding venue? I posted on another wedding forum but didn't get much of a response.

I'm interested in what the staff were like, whether anyone thinks it would fit around 150 evening guests and a band in and what any overall experiences were.

It's not far from our home, so it would be ideal.

Thanks!

Amy

9 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 3 November, 2011 at 19:13
  • tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome. I just googled it, no where near me so cant help but just to say welcome and that venue does look very nice! (Liked the fork buffet menus I always check the food!) Have you read the reviews on tripadvisor for it at all that might help?

• Gabbance
    Beginner February 2012
    Gabbance ·
    • Hide content

Hey. We are in Watford so it was on our possible list but we didn't go for it in the end. We did get a brochures, and I'm pretty sure it would fit the amount of guests you need as it was a bit big for us (we have 75 day guests).

The mother in law goes there for a spa day with her friend every couple of months and she absolutely loves it, she always says how nice the food is and never heard her complain about staff.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    blondebride1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tiz,

Ahhh, good idea, I' never thought of trip advisor! I'll have a look now. I guess we should really visit ,but with so many venues to look at, you can't visit them all?!

Have you booked your venue?

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Hi

It is near me and we contemplated it but were put off by the fact that there are 3 weddings at a time there ! I am not 20 something and didnt want to bump into a young beauty lol ! The grounds are lovely for photos and the registrar said that one time she did all 3 weddings there but saw a fourth bride, when she enquired some cheeky bride had just pitched up for her photos lol ! We got married at Harpenden house hotel and the staff were fantastic ! The ceremony room was lovely but too small for you with only 75 guests. The reception room was a tad ugly but by the time we dressed it , it looked fabulous !

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    blondebride1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gabbance,

That's good to know. Maybe I'll book an extra day with the girls and go for a Spa the day before too!

It's sounding better all the time :-)

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    blondebride1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Oldgal,

Must be a bit of a delay with the responses here! Hmmm, with 3 weddings how did you fit in the photo's outside etc? Didn't each wedding end up trying to get to the same place?

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

What I did after beign let down by our first choice was get broucheres decided which venues we could a. afford and b. could provide what we want so decided whats important to you - like I deffo wanted accomodation for some guests and I deffo didn't want other randomers milling around on the day etc etc so then we visited 3 places - unfortuntaly I'd not done my sums right (well they didnt put all the costs in their brouchere) and we couldn't afford the place I fell in love with. So we're getting married there anyway lol coz I love it sooo much!! So let that be a lesson to you - make sure you can afford somewhere BEFORE you visit lolz

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I've worked at Sopwell House many times on brides and they've all seemed really happy with the venue and the service they received.

Juliet x

• Frugal Splurger
    Beginner September 2011
    Frugal Splurger ·
    • Hide content

I went to a work's ball here a few years ago and it worked great for that! I know it's not the same but they put on a champagne reception on the lawn which was lovely then we all went in for a sit down dinner. Food was fantastic and the layout of the room was brilliant for that sort of event! They had a band on and a decent sized dancefloor. My hubby and i still say that the bed we had there was the comfiest we have ever slept in! haha! We stayed in one of the cottages outside of the main building it was fantastic! Good luck!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I photographed around 3-4 of the first weddings ever done at this venue and it rained each time so nearly got banned by the management!!!! The lake leaked and the water level was always too low for decent lake photographs. They did though revamp the place a couple of years later and fixed the leak.

For the photography, if there is more than one wedding, you are given a time slot to use the lake and bridge area. This is a common technique used in places like Tewinbury Farm. If you are having the ceremony elsewhere and it runs late, this could compromise your timeslot on the lake.

Generally the venue is well run, although I dislike the new hotel reception area which "lost" a fantastic arch photograph location. I did have one brides hair "collapse" and she had to revisit the hotel salon to have it fixed which lost me photography time, although that was around 5 years ago and I haven't had similar issues with brides there since.

As long as you don't mind sharing the venue, its worth considering.

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics