Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2018

Sound limiter at venue (Northbrook Park)

MayBohoBride, 30 of November of 2016 at 12:22 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hello! I am newly engaged and this is my first post Smiley smile

We are hunting for venues at the moment and keep finding places which unfortunately have a 'sound limiter' for music in the evening. One of our definite criteria is that we would like a live band, so this is an important point for us.

One example of this is Northbrook Park which has a substantial number of online reviews saying that it completely ruins the atmosphere as every other song gets cut out.

One review says that the band could not play any music at all, as almost every single track, including first dance, got cut out. For the song to not be cut, the music has to apparently be so quiet that you are able to talk over it.

Has anyone had any experience of either Northbrook Park or sound limiters in general? I am not sure whether this is just a case of a few bad online reviews, or if it really does ruin the day.

Thanks!

3 replies

Latest activity by Bands For Hire, 5 of December of 2016 at 15:50
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

The limiter at Northbrook Park is ok, just that the ambient noise from guests say, stamping their feet, can push the decibels past the limit.

I would recommend a DJ or Band who has played there successfully before with the best ones being those who have a guy who's only job is to monitor the levels (sometimes at weddings you'll see a person wandering around with an ipad doing so).

Unfortunately online reviews can be a bit 'angry' but I've shot there three times now and it's been ok. I have noticed an occassional cutout but no more than a lot of venues I've been to and it's always caused by the guests losing their minds to one of the big three (Bon Jovi, G'n'R or Queen).

Anything by Whitney is safe.

Nice venue too.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Same as Chris, I have shot there a few times but to be honest I never noticed any cut outs. How old were the reviews.

• M
    Beginner May 2018
    MayBohoBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chris, Bruce, thank you for your responses.

Yes I do agree that online reviews sometimes cannot be trusted, and you do find a lot of angry people out there...

The newest one I came across was from about 6 months ago and some from earlier this year. That's comforting to hear that you have both had OK experiences there though.

• Bands For Hire
    Beginner
    Bands For Hire ·
    • Hide content

Sound limiters are becoming very common these days and most bands are able to work with them if pre-warned. As Chris says though, sometimes even clapping or a loud singalong from guests can set them off.

I've spoken to a few bands who have played at Northbrook Park and they've been ok, even with live drums. If you want to be cautious you could try and find a band that uses electronic drums, they can sound amazing these days and they look very similar.

It's usually the drums and the bass that sets off limiters - bass can be turned down but live drums can't. If you opt for electronic drums, these can be turned down just like a DJ. Also, a band with a Cajon instead of drums can be a great option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics