Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner February 2017

Sound Limiter & Live Bands

EmByTheRiver, 16 of February of 2016 at 17:33 Posted on Planning 0 3

I'm interested to hear from recent, or soon to be brides at Gate Street Barn in Surrey.

We definitely want a live band, and are abit concerned about the sound limiter which is set to 92dB.

So I'm keen to hear from others about:

• the Sound Limiter at the Barn - did it affect the atmosphere or cause any problems for your band?
  • Rollercoaster - one of the bands recommended by the venue, who are obviously very experienced with playing at the barn.

Thanks!

3 replies

Latest activity by Bands For Hire, 23 of March of 2016 at 12:29
  • The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

92db is generally a fine level for dancing but it really does depend on how close the limiter is to where your band's speakers / instruments will be. The main issue with bands, and why I get asked a lot to play in venues with limiters as a singer with backing tracks, is the acoustic drum kit is what normally sets the limiter off. Having said this, if your band are recommended by the venue they'll know the limiter well and you shouldn't have any problems.

It might also be worth checking if you venue have a live music licence which is timed differently to recorded music. Some venues can't have live music after a certain time (normally 10.30 / 11) and can be quite good at not letting the bride and groom know this beforehand!

Hope this helps

James

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

92db is generally a fine level for dancing but it really does depend on how close the limiter is to where your band's speakers / instruments will be. The main issue with bands, and why I get asked a lot to play in venues with limiters as a singer with backing tracks, is the acoustic drum kit is what normally sets the limiter off. Having said this, if your band are recommended by the venue they'll know the limiter well and you shouldn't have any problems.

It might also be worth checking if you venue have a live music licence which is timed differently to recorded music. Some venues can't have live music after a certain time (normally 10.30 / 11) and can be quite good at not letting the bride and groom know this beforehand!

Hope this helps

James

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

More & more venues are having to install sound limiters as part of their licence agreements, health & safety or council policy.

James above has already given some great advice as it does depend on many factors as to how it can affect a band. An experienced band will quickly work out which frequency it is sensitive to and adapt accordingly. It is usually either high frequency like cymbals or bass frequencies (bass guitar & bass drum).

Some bands will refuse to play with them completely because it can ruin/damage expensive equipment however most professional bands will know how to work with them.

I would advise speaking to one of the preferred bands there and just ask them how sensitive it is. There is one venue that we refuse to play at locally because wedding guests singing along with us will set it off! (Never good!!!)

Hope that helps!

• Bands For Hire
    Beginner
    Bands For Hire ·
    • Hide content

We find that more and more bands are now available to hire with v-drums / electronic drums, this effectively means that they can turn the PA up and down in the same way that a DJ can. I played in a band for many years with this set up and it works well so it may be something to consider.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics