Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamon009
Beginner December 2014

Sound limiters?

cinnamon009, 23 of July of 2014 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 9

Just had an email from our venue saying that they have had sound limiters installed in the main reception room and ballroom (where the disco will be). Having googled what they are, apparently if the sound goes above a certain level, all power to the music cuts out automatically. The venue is stand alone in the middle of nowhere so I was quite surprised they would need one. Someone has obviously complained for them to have to get one.

We aren't having a band but are having a wedding singer and DJ who I have forwarded the info to. Goole says something about bass levels etc which can trigger the sound limiter even if the music isn't particularly loud, so wondered if anyone here has come across them before and had any issues with them? Any horror stories of music having to be so quiet you couldn't hear it? OH is a rock fan - so whilst we don't want it so loud you can hear it miles away you want it being played at normal 'disco' levels to get everyone dancing. If people sing along too loudly can that trigger them too? My step dad "has got a right gob on him" as we would say in Yorkshire!!

I've probably been to places before with them and not realised they are there so I'm not overly concerned - just wondering if I should be!

9 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 23 of July of 2014 at 18:33
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

At the last venue my H2B DJd they had one. Before he started, they took him upstairs to where the controls for the PA were and let him look and adjust his equipment accordingly. Hopefully that's what your venue will do for yours. As far as I understand it, singing can't trigger them as it's to do with sound emanating from the PA system - but maybe double check that just to be sure!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ID. I was hoping it would be something they could cope with and wouldn't be anything. Did your H2B mention whether he had to turn it right down or just a bit?

Hopefully it's only stuff through the PA system so will just have to make sure my step-dad doesn't get hold of the wedding singer's mic!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'll check with him shortly when I email him. I didn't notice that the sound was unusually quiet or anything, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

My venue has them too, but check with your band/artist as they are quite common. My dad is a musician and when I queried it with him he said most artists with a PA will be able to control the noise levels. The band we have booked are also fine with it Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well, he says he did have to keep it quieter than usual, but I didn't notice and it certainly wasn't so quiet you couldn't hear it, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Is your venue a listed building? He says that's why the place we were at had it, not cos they'd had complaints.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ID you are a star! Yes it is a Grade II Listed building. Never thought of that.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If he DOES, you may be glad that all power is cut!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Sound limiters are relatively common actually. Often imposed on venues as part of a premises licensing condition even some of the large festivals have them.

You should still be able to get a decent sound level, I'm sure many bars/clubs you have visited have had them without you even realising.

You did the right thing by emailing your DJ etc just to worn them in advance so they can set up accordingly.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

My venue had one it was a bloody nightmare it kept cutting out!

it all depends on the genre of music I guess.. When we viewed the venue to test it out they play a frank Sinatra number which was fine it was turned up loud and the sound limiter wasn't even lighting up half way... They also played a pop tune same thing!

i just guess out hip hop/ r & b/ soca / reggae music was just too much for it!

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Cinnamon,

Sound limiters vary in sensitivity from venue to venue. For a DJ this is easier to control as the levels are fairly consistent.

If any other Hitchers out there have one in their venue ask the wedding co-ordinator for info of what the limiter is set at. Then pass the info on to your DJ/Band.

We did recently play a venue with a very sensitive limiter. As a band we could stay inside the parameters that were needed however when guests were singing along with us/rocking out it did trip the limiter a few times!!!

Some bands refuse to even play with limiters so check with your DJ/Band.

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics