Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Sound limiters at the Barbican

SunnyBlueCakes764, 4 of October of 2017 at 10:11 Posted on Planning 0 6

Me and my partner are getting married at the Barbican next March 2018, we just tried booking a band who have refused to play at the venue due to the sound limiters there. Has anyone got married there recently and did it ruin your evening entertainment?

please help!

6 replies

Latest activity by Chris Giles Photography, 8 of October of 2017 at 14:57
  • E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I am an event planner by trade - ask the barbican their db limit. The db limit will be part of the licensing agreement therefore cannot be changed; however the band need to take into account of the capacity of the venue which actually absorbs some of the sound once it is full. Is it down to the drum kit? Two things you can do here - ask them to use electric drums - awks I know, I wouldnt want to ask a band to do that or hire some sound screens for the drums that will absorb the sound and affect the db level in the venue.

Hope this helps x

• Joey@WarbleEntertainment
    Joey@WarbleEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

Yes sound limiters are a pain but they don't have to ruin your evening entertainment at all!

You can always spot an experienced band as the most professional ones out there have evolved to cope with limiters and aren't phased by them. If your band has refused the booking, they either require more information or just aren't equipped to deal with the limiter. You'll want a band that has dealt with limiters in the past and will look for solutions.

The 2 most important things you'll want to find out from the venue are the type of limiter and the db limit. Once a band knows these they will be able to figure out a plan of how to go about giving a killer performance without actually tripping the limiter.

Ironically, many limiters are sensitive to frequencies and not just noise levels. A lot of bands are able to remove certain pesky bass frequencies or put the guitar through the PA and spread the noise so as not to trip the limiter. Electric drum kits/backing tracks these days sound absolutely awesome too and is a common workaround.

Alternatively you can get some amazing lively acoustic bands that will have no problem filling a dance floor whilst staying within the set db limit!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBlueCakes764 ·
    • Hide content

Amazing, thank you for your advise, I'll speak to them again!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBlueCakes764 ·
    • Hide content

Great thank you Joey, db limit is 95.

just having a look at your website now. We're really keen for a high energy band who can do some classics but then some upbeat dance/garage covers for later in the evening.

I don't suppose you have any good recommendations?!

Thanks!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBlueCakes764 ·
    • Hide content

Great thank you Joey, db limit is 95.

just having a look at your website now. We're really keen for a high energy band who can do some classics but then some upbeat dance/garage covers for later in the evening.

Thanks!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBlueCakes764 ·
    • Hide content

Great thank you Joey. Do limit is 95.

Thanks!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

95db isn't bad at all.

Problem is when the power cuts out it can damage equipment and some people don't want to risk it. Again, 95db isn't bad.

When I was there last they did have issues with the limiter, they have a traffic light system that warns the staff if it gets close. The problem the Barbican is that it's slap bang in a residential area and the licensing rules are really really strict.

So they're hot on that limit and watch it closely.

Great venue all the same and one of the few green winter spaces in London.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics