Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner December 2016

Sourceing Wedding Flowers between Christmas and New Year!!!! Help

HappyGreenHair351, 14 of May of 2015 at 20:52 Posted on Planning 0 4

We are planning to get married the week between Christmas and New Year 2016. I am doing well with most things but I went to a florist today to get an idea of prices for flowers and they all gasp when I said when I want to get married. They seem to think I will not be able to have flowers and no florist will be able to help so I will have to re think my date. Can anyone help me as to whether this is true or I just need to keep looking around.

4 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 15 of May of 2015 at 22:01
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Don't panic! My best friend got married on the 30th December and although it wasn't easy and there wasn't a huge choice, we did have flowers! You just need to shop around on your florist and be realistic that you won't get a choice of every flower. I've added a picture of one of the bouquets to give you an idea. Alternatively, have you considered alternatives such as paper flowers (I love them so much) silk, foam, (some of the girls on here have bought from an eBay seller and they're gorgeous) or even more out of the box with a button, brooch, or even sweetie bouquet. Stick them all into Google images and have a look!

• H
    Beginner December 2016
    HappyGreenHair351 ·
    • Hide content

Oh lovely thank you, I'm only looking for Babys Breath and red roses really for all the flowers tables, button holes ect. I was thinking I might have something different for mine ill have alook thank you that is a great help.

xxx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

First step is to find a florist who doesn't close over the xmas/new year break. The thing is, it's very quiet during these two weeks. I'm a retired florist and used to have a shop and it's known as the 'dead zone' in the trade! So many people get flowers/plants given or sent to them for Christmas as gifts that there isn't any business during this period for floral gifts. Our bread and butter trade i.e., funeral work used to keep us steady over Christmas but now undertakers and crematoriums also close over the holidays (in my area) so business wise it makes more sense to close and give staff a well earned rest, have a good clean up and stock take before starting on the manic months of Valentines and Mothers' Day!

As others have already said, stock will be very limited but you shouldn't have any problems if you are wanting red roses and gyp as these are pretty standard flowers that people keep in stock daily throughout the year on a normal basis. A lot of wholesale flower markets which is where florists buy their stock from also close over the holidays. Both my local wholesalers did so I couldn't open because there wasn't any stock to obtain to sell in the shop. So a lot depends on where you live and who's open and who's closed. It's just a case of trying them all in your area until you find one who can help you.

Failing that, red roses and gyp are very easily obtainable in artificial and extremely realistic and a lot of people do go down that route to save a lot of hassle. This way you actually get all your flowers before xmas. This is an artificial red and ivory rose bouquet I did for a xmas wedding about 10 years ago just to let you see what artificial flowers are like.

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

For red roses and gyp....have you thought about making them yourself?
    My friend bought a groupon voucher for a quick floristry lesson, then made her own with supermarket flowers and they were gorgeous.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

That's ridiculous were getting married abroad 30th dec but we're having silk and my florist didn't mind at all. We are getting ours delivered 22nd (as we fly 27th) the one thing I was told was obviously a lot of flowers will not be available then so you don't get the vast choice as you do in summer and a lot of places will charge more as its Xmas. Have you thought about silk that way you can get them delivered early so you don't have to worry?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics