Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner June 2014

South Wales Venues

hannahgosney, 23 of May of 2013 at 12:36 Posted on Planning 0 11

I've got 12 venues on my shortlist. I'm arranging viewings for the next few weeks, but I was wondering whether anyone has booked with them and what their staff/wedding co-ordinators are like.

They are:

• Buckland Hall - Brecon
  • Oldwalls - Swansea
  • Court Colman Manor - Bridgend
  • Miskin Manor - Pontyclun
  • Canada Lodge Lake - Cardiff
  • Pencoed House - Cardiff
  • Dyffryn Gardens - Cardiff
  • Bryngarw House - Bridgend
  • De Courceys Manor - Cardiff
  • New Country House Hotel - Cardiff
  • The Countryman Inn - Pontyclun
  • Maes Manor - Bridgend

I'm after somewhere with a lovely room for the ceremony, enough space for around 140 people in the evening and lovely grounds so I can have really great photos

11 replies

Latest activity by Wifeytobe88, 29 of May of 2013 at 13:36
  • N
    Beginner July 2014
    neo_kat26 ·
    • Hide content

I have been to see.....

Oldwalls, Court Coleman Manor, Miskin Manor, Pencoed House and Bryngarw House.

Pencoed House - The couple who own and manage it are lovely! However I found it really small and didn't think I could get the 120 people for the evening reception in the main room. It would have been quite tight!

Bryngarw house - Quite small unless you pay extra to have the marquee added to the room and then its like having two separate rooms.

Oldwalls - Really expensive and bit far out for people to travel. Also limited accommodation.

Miskin Manor - Stunning but expensive. Also on my arranged visit I was shown the main reception area whilst there was a wedding party in there!! I was mortified and thought I would have hated that if it was my wedding!

Court Coleman Manor - Really nice but thought the main room was a bit boring.

I've booked Coed y Mwstwr in Bridgend. They have just redecorated their main room and its lovely and they have gorgeous grounds and plenty of rooms to accommodate guests ?

• gippdeer
    Beginner February 2014
    gippdeer ·
    • Hide content

I did a wake once in New County House (okay not a wedding but still a function) but they were helpful about organising things (some of the rooms (mainly the small ones though) did look a bit dadted though - but views are lovely as is the outside and grass)

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a Cardiff bride, getting married in the Vale of Glamorgan - the Bear Hotel in Cowbridge Smiley smile

I've been to weddings at:

Canada Lake and Lodge - gorgeous venue, in my opinion needs a lot of decorating though as it is quite blank.

Dyffryn Gardens - do you mean the marquee, Dyffryn Springs? I went to an evening reception here, all the guests who'd attended all day complained it had been freezing (it was this month) and needs a LOT of decorating as it's just a plain marquee. Really hard to find too.

New Country House Hotel - just an evening reception again but it seemed lovely from what I remember, the reception room had a terrace with a gorgeous view, so if the weather's nice it's fab.

Miskin Manor and De Courcey's = VERY expensive. A friends sister got married at Miskin Manor, their budget was £20k.

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    cerysrichards ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel and Spa in Maesycymmer (10mins up from Caerphilly) amazing venue, staff have been so helpful and packages very reasonably priced, and you wont get a better venue for photos - views are stunning.

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys. I'm starting my first set of viewings tomorrow and should see have them all over the next 3 weeks. I'll keep in mind what all of you have said xxx

• Katie26090
    Beginner May 2013
    Katie26090 ·
    • Hide content

I had my wedding reception at Bryn Meadows last weekend and I can honestly say it was the best day of my life. They grounds are fantastic and the staff so attentive and helpful, nothing was too much for them.

We also short listed and looked at Miskin Manor, the Vale and Canada Lodge but Bryn Meadows was much more reasonable and the views blew us away

if you have any questions just ask

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Have you seen Aberglasney http://www.aberglasney.org/ ? Amazing venue and just had a refurb!

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

It's too far out for me. I'm trying to keep the area within around 30 - 40 minutes as I have a lot of elderly guests in the day that I think would get lost if it is too far away.

• germaki
    Beginner October 2013
    germaki ·
    • Hide content

Canada lodge was on my list but after some bad reviews and an issue around the stairs (only stairs on the outside apparently) I ended up booking Coed-Y-Mwstwr which is stunning!

Neo_kat26-I'm getting married at Coed-y-Mwstwr too!

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't listen to the bad reviews on Canada Lodge, my best friend's wedding there last month was amazing! I loved the venue, there is a lift down to the ground floor where the wedding breakfast is held, so even if you couldn't use the outside stairs, you could just use the lift inside to travel between floors.

That's the only flaw with the Bear Hotel where I'm getting married, as it's a listed building there's no lift up to where the ceremony is held! The reception and everything else is on the ground floor, but it's lucky that the older people coming to the wedding are sprightly enough and can handle stairs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics