Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2015

Sparklers?

Princess Bride 2013, 19 of April of 2015 at 20:52 Posted on Planning 1 15

Just wondering if any of you have or plan on using sparklers on your wedding day?

15 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 2 of February of 2019 at 10:58
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I never thought about it. The thought of flowing dresses sparking and going up in a big puff, along with getting black soot on my dress would have worried me too much.

But why not if you want to.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Im not planning to, but think they look lovely in photos, oddly enough our TOG posted something about using sparklers at weddings for photographs, don't know if its of any help to you

"I know a lot of you are tooootally loving the sparkler shots as an alternative way to add in a few shots of your guests and a fun evening portrait of the both of you, however I've come across some problems in the past. Either it's too windy to light them, they're tiny so only sparkle very small or they aren't all lit at the same time. Here are my tips of how to solve these problems:

- Make sure you buy LARGE sparklers, ones that will sparkle for 60 seconds or more!
    - Buy A LOT of them, so people can hold two or light more.
    - You can actually get sparklers that are like mini fireworks - these are usually used in clubs for dancers, stuck in champagne bottles or in the top of a cake. These last for about 30-60 seconds and have huuuuge sparkle capabilities.
    - If there's a chance it could be windy or rainy at the time of year you get married, get some little indoor sparklers that emit no smoke and agree with your venue a safe place for you to light them.
    - BUY LOTS OF LIGHTERS. I would even consider buying the same amount of lighters as sparklers. That way each guest can light their own sparkler instead of 50 people shuffling around the one tiny lighter."

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

Yes we're having sparklers and we're getting married in September. I always loved them as a child and I feel it will finish of the night in a lovely way.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

We are :-) think it looks really pretty.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! That's really helpful

• J
    Beginner March 2015
    JLLS ·
    • Hide content

We had them! Had some great pictures from them - they were so much fun. Part of the reason we had them was so that evening guests were involved in something so to speak, as well as the first dance and cake cutting and they were a lot of fun Smiley smile we had a sparkler arch outside which then lead into our venue for the first dance and it worked really well Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes I would say get loads and once a few have been lit by lighters it is quicker to light others off already lit ones and you will soon have everyone's lit for the shot.

You could then also save some for some separate shots like these

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I totally echo the advice already given about getting loads and the big ones- but i'd suggest saving your money with the lighters and just using a couple of candles instead (preferably ones in glass jars so the wind doesn't get to them) It's Soooo much quicker to light lots of sparklers at once that way and they're not reliant on people being able to use a lighter, or for the lighter flame to last long enough without burning a finger.

Also keep in mind the time of year you're getting married. Sparklers are great for winter weddings, or when it gets dark quite early, but for summer weddings that can be reaaaalllly late and your photographer may not be around at that point. Always worth having a chat in advance to work something out ?

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

We have vases with candles in so that would be great to use instead of lighters! Great tip, thanks.

I get married in just under 7 weeks so sadly our photographer will be gone before it gets dark, we have him for 8 hours and I wanted him there from about 11.30 Smiley sad

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Windproof lighters are a godsend then use the lit sparklers to light the others. It takes planning and quick organisation or even the longer sparklers start to run out before everyone is ready. If it's your usual herding cats scenario then it'll be chaos! lol

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Our TOG provides them Smiley smile She brings a pack along, just enough for the bridal party, and I'm happy with that!

Great tip with the candle in a jar!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I reeeeeeeeally wanted sparklers, but as we are getting married in August the TOG will be gone by the time it's dark enough to light them ☹️

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

Sparklers are on our list to get but we can't make up our mind whether to or not. I love the idea of having them and they fit the theme well but I wonder in reality if they will be a bit of a hassle by the time you get them lighted etc

• Hide content

They really are no hassle, and they dont cost much so may as well give it a go

• R
    RomanticOrangeFlowers69946 ·
    • Hide content

We ended up with a huge windstorm the day of our wedding and these sparklers (used with a windproof lighter) were prefect. I hope your day was too!

• Hide content

Wow this is an old thread resurrection but I am still here.

Here is what I have seen in the past 4 years since this thread. More and more venues are not allowing sparklers unless they are organised by an official firework company, so effectively that would be only if you are having fireworks.

if you are planing sparklers then I would advise that you first check with your venue if they are going to be ok with this.

Another thing I have seen with sparklers is that some are very smokey and not much sparkle, not sure what the answer there is but maybe partly cost ? The first ones below are provided by the firework company and were good ones. They also had a very efficient way of lighting them - which I dare not say on a public forum, although it was safe as they are professionals.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics