Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

Speaches before or after wedding breakfast??

LooseLadie, 28 of May of 2010 at 22:07 Posted on Planning 0 16

As above really, ive never been to a wedding so im clueless :o/

16 replies

Latest activity by julia (modernphotographic), 1 of June of 2010 at 17:24
  • waddle_thepenguin
    Beginner June 2010
    waddle_thepenguin ·
    • Hide content

We're having ours after dessert but before the cake cutting, mostly because I think my H2B and the BM want to be a bit more relaxed and eat first.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Well we're having the main speaches before, and opening the floor for a short time after. The main ones are before so as the OH can enjoy his dinner!! Smiley smile I think its a personal choice tho!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

We're having ours before, at the beginning of the wedding breakfast as the boys are too nervous and want to get it out of the way! LOL

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsDicken2b ·
    • Hide content

Ours will be before as I think it'd be the only time everyone will be together. Tradtionally I think its supposed to be after.

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi Natty - I'm an old married now and we had ours after dessert. Being in the wedding business though I see plenty of weddings that have the speeches before the meal. Speak with your wedding co-ordinator as a lot depends on time etc from when you get married, photo's etc to when you are scheduled to eat, they're good at this as they plan everything from what time you should be sitting down to when the starters are to be served to the bridal party and so on. I think though it can come down to personal preference to be honest. xx

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

We want ours before so all the men can then enjoy their dinner and relax and have fun with the rest of us. x

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

My OH is having 5 best men so lots of speechs, so we've decided to desperse them throughout the meal. I don't think it matters when you do speeches

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I think traditionally it's after the meal, but we are having them first. I want the men to enjoy their meal and be relaxed too, so we are getting them out of the way first!

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

We are looking at having the after as it gives people something to look forward to.

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

I think its personal preference, but we are having them before eating - so the men are not so nervous they cannot eat!!

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

We're having ours after the wedding breakfast while coffees are being served because that's where I would like them but my sister got married recently and had hers before the breakfast and that worked just as well. I guess it depends on what you want and how nervous your speakers are going to be.

• H
    Beginner
    hshc86 ·
    • Hide content

I can't decide on this either...

I've only been to two weddings, both within the past couple of months! One had the speeches before the meal and one had then after dessert but before the cake cutting.

Both worked well, but it's now made me think what the hell do I want?! haha I think I'll leave that bit up to the hubby to be to decide.

• smyvicki
    Beginner September 2010
    smyvicki ·
    • Hide content

We're doing ours before the meal too as OH is very nervous and will be better to get them out the way otherwise I doubt he'll eat!

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Having them after tucker, as theres nothing worse then going to a wedding and wishing they would hurry up and serve the food and get on with the speechs.

xxx

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

We are having them after the meal - I would have done whatever oh preferred though as he's the one speeching!! He said it would be nice to all have a drink and 'build up a bit of pre speech tension!' He's well nervous now though! Think it's totally up to what you and the boys prefer - though I also heard someone say it often works better after dinner as people are more relaxed and laugh more easily at jokes after some wine hehe!!

• julia (modernphotographic)
    Beginner July 2010
    julia (modernphotographic) ·
    • Hide content

I think its personal. Some grooms get nervous so want them before. However word of warning a lot of venues, whilst they will go with what you want, don't like speeches before.

There is good reason for this and not them about being awkward... Speeches are never a set length, so food has to essentially be kept hot and some food can dry out. Chefs get upset with not knowing exact timings as it can spoil their food

As a photographer I love speeches first, but thats just me.

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics