Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lamby
Beginner August 2010

Speeches and Toasts

lamby, 10 August, 2010 at 09:31 Posted on Planning 0 3

Morning!

Anyone in the know Re the toasts for speeches or does is not really matter rules wise? In OH's book, it says both FOB and Best Man do a toast to the couple - is this right? My friend/Bridesmaid is doing a speech in place of the FOB speech and would like to end with a toast to me and OH, but we have switched the order in that OH is going first, then her, then Best Man, so do they do the same toast in essence, or something different? And if they do the same toast is that a bit odd? Or does someone not do a toast at all? OH is going to do do a toast to the Bridesmaids, to my Dad and to absent friends.

Any thoughts / guidance appreciated!

3 replies

Latest activity by lamby, 10 August, 2010 at 12:32
  • Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, what you've got planned sounds great.....I'd stick with it if i were you as it suits your situation. It doesn't matter if two people do the same toast.... and it doesn't matter if someone does a speech without finishing with a toast....or they could finish their speech by raising their glass and saying something like 'to everyone's good health' or 'to the happy couple', or 'to absent friends and family'.

There used to be traditional protocol to speeches and toasts, but of the many weddings i do, I very rarely see this adhered to nowadays. Traditionally, the FOB would start the speeches welcoming G into the family and toasting the happy couple. G would take over and toast his new bride. Then best man would be left to toast the bridesmaids and anyone else.

Hope that helps

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sandy - think I might have got one part mixed up - think Best Man is toasting the Bridesmaids actually - am easily confused! Guess we're not doing it particuarly traditionally anyway so I guess it doesn't matter too much ?

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

I think what youve got planned sounds lovely. I'd like someone to do an "absent friends.." (my Dad died 8 years ago) toast but not sure who. Might have to ask best Man. Or might dodge it alltogether as not sure I want to bawl my eyes out with my lovely make up on!

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you JST, we'll probably just do that then - it's not like anyone is going to argue that two of the toasts are similar (I hope!!) It's really difficult isn't it because I didn't want the day to pass without him being toasted, but at the same time I know he would really have just wanted us to have a wonderful day and not spend it upset. But the fact is, I will get a bit upset anyway, I know, but am determined that we will have the lovely day he would have wanted me too. If you're not sure about the toast thing (know just what you mean, I don't want to be a wreck), I have heard of some lovely things people do that can just be between you and your Dad - like something to keep with you in your outfit (I'm carrying a silver coin he got me years ago as my something old) etc, or you could have a candle lit on your table just to mark his memory.

Either way I think it will be all about the waterproof mascara! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics