Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner July 2025 Essex

Speeches - no best man/bridesmaids

Isabel, 18 of December of 2023 at 15:07 Posted on Planning 0 3
Have just started wedding planning and my partner and I aren’t planning on having bridesmaids/groomsmen. I know my partner is pretty self conscious about this. I’ve suggested that we both invite friends in to get ready with us (separately) before the wedding which he is happy with - however speeches are a bit of a sticking point. We won’t have a best man’s speech obviously and my dad is also a very nervous public speaker and at this stage I’m not sure if he is going to do it. I might consider giving one as the bride but haven’t decided yet, and my partner will give one. In any event - we’re going to be a bit thin on the ground for speeches!

I’m interested to find out how others have gotten around this issue, or if anyone has had any fun non-traditional ideas?
I was considering asking wedding guests to record a short video, and asking a family member to put together a compilation for us to play after dinner. I have no idea if that’ll work logistically so looking for other inspiration too!
Thanks in advance! Smiley smile

3 replies

Latest activity by Valyria, 29 of December of 2023 at 19:46
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You don't actually 'need' speeches. And at most weddings I've been to, I'd have been more than happy for them to have been missed out - unless the person giving the speech is a gifted speaker, they can be quite painful to listen to! If you're not fussed about having speeches, then I'd just settle for a brief 'thank you' one.

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    We want a small micro wedding close family members only. We are also not having bridesmaids or best man. No first dance either. We also don't drink and don't want alcohol at our wedding if we can help it. We just want to have a lunch type of thing after the ceremony.

You have to do what's comfortable for the both of you. Your wedding day will be beautiful 😍. I like the idea of pre recorded videos 📹 might consider this many thanks.
  • Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content

We're not having speeches as we're both not a fan of them really. my FH would definitely not make a speech as he hates public speaking, even if it is with friends and family present and his best friend (best man) has refused too (in all fairness the best man never had speeches at his wedding either so I understand why)

My MOH would do a speech and so would my sister (BM) but I don't really require them to do so. as the bride I will make a short welcome/thank you speech and that's the end of it.

The other idea I had to replace the speeches in our case was my sister doing a Wiccan blessing for us instead, almost like a very quick extension to the actual ceremony as both myself and her are of Wiccan faith. my FH knows how important it is for me to include this in the wedding somewhere so he is more than happy for her to do so if the venue allow us to (we still need to check with them) but it would be a 10 minute thing tops and hopefully something visual for our guests who are not familiar with our faith to witness and enjoy.

I definitely don't think you need to have speeches in a wedding, it's quite possibly one of the more boring parts of the day. you could always just do a welcome and toast with your guests prior to dinner or like you say maybe a nice video montage of moments from your relationship so far, or of friends and family in a relaxed environment pre-recorded so they don't have to worry or be stressed on the day.

just have fun with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics