Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VikingPrincess
Beginner December 2011

Speeches - when the father of the bride is absent...

VikingPrincess, 2 April, 2010 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi - those of you who have read and answered some of my other posts here are either sick of me asking so many (silly) questions or wonder how come I don't know certain things any woman would know about weddings.

Well - I was actually born and raised in Romania, and only came to the UK in 1995, with my English then-fiance whom I met when I was a Romanian journalist studying at the BBC Radio Journalism School. Our wedding, a Church of England one, took place in Sep 1995 but was entirely organized by my ex-mother-in law. I even received an invitation to my own wedding... All I did was bring my outfit. Also, my parents are divorced and at the time I wasn't speaking to my Dad because he didn't want me to leave the country. So he was not present at the wedding. My Mum received a special dispensation from the Vicar to give me away at the church. Anyway, after 11 years of marriage, in 2006 unfortunately we divorced. Letting bygones be bygones, all I'll say is that this is why I know next to nothing about organizing a wedding in England, in the sense of custom, etiquette etc.

Luckily, I met David a year later and we've been together for 2 and a half years now. My question above refers to speeches. Everybody these days has complicated families and we are no exception:

1. Even if my Dad does attend this time, he does not speak English at all! What do I do?
  2. Could my Mum make the speech meant for the father of the bride instead? She speaks passable English and I could help her with the text.
  3. My h2b and his family do not speak to his mother, who is divorced from his Dad. She will not be invited to the wedding. Can the role be assumed by his father's second wife?

What do you all think?

Thanks,

5 replies

Latest activity by VikingPrincess, 3 April, 2010 at 20:49
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

It's your wedding so you make the rules. I think it would be lovely to have your mum do the speech, or anyone else that is close to you.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Tradition is just that... it's not compulosry, you do whatever makes you happy.

If you want your father to make the speech, could he not read it in Romanian and have someone translate for him?

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Its actually a very good question.

Some people choose to follow the traditional wedding protocol, especially if they have a traditional family set up. I attend on average 2 or 3 weddings a week and I've noticed more and more couples breaking with tradition and arranging things to suit their individual circumstances.....and it is totally acceptible.

As well as evening discos, i often do the whole day, including introducing the speeches. Tradition is Father of the bride, Groom then best man. In the past few months i've done : brother of the bride, groom, best man : groom, bride, bestman : father of the bride, step father of the bride, father of the groom, Chief bridesmaid....to name but a few. All of them were acceptible and totally suited to the circumstances. So do what suits yourselves.

On the other hand, if your father did attend, don't be afraid about letting him speak (with an interpretter of course). I did a lovely wedding 2 years ago where the brides family spoke Portuguese, the grooms family spoke Spanish and all their friends spoke English. Everything during the day was said in 3 different languages.....and it worked really well.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi and thanks, Sandysounds!

Indeed, I think we'll devise our own order! I am an only child so no siblings and my h2b has a younger sister who will be my bridesmaid, together with my best friend. David is dithering between asking his cousin who is more like a brother to him to be Best Man or his old school friend. Decisions decisions... Thanks for putting my mind at rest that no one's gonna frown at the "unorthodox" speeches!

• T
    Tim Driver ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a wedding last year where the brides father and a lot of ther family spoke no english as they had come from serbia for the wedding(Parents had lived in the uk for several years)

What happened in that case was the brides father gave her away and the brides cousin (I think almost like the head of the visiting group) read a speech the father had helped prepare in both languages - (Dad was moved to tears)

It was quite a special moment with dad and daughter

Tim

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, Tim - sounds like a great option.

I don't know how it's gonna work out as my Dad and I don't have a very close relationship unfortunately and despite the fact that my Mum is civil towards him and even welcomed him to dinner in her home one time when I went to Romania on holiday (I always stay with Mum when I go), Dad doesn't miss any opportunity to drop annoying hints and comments about the past, about my mum and her family which in turn upset my mum (and me). I don't wanna bore anyone here, long story short: acrimonious divorce 27 years ago, I was 10 and went to live with Mum (my choice). However, Dad and I have continued to see each other weekly or so until we fell out over my moving to the UK. It took two years for us to speak again. Now we speak weekly or fortnightly on the phone and he's helped me financially after my divorce in 2006. Now he feels that because of that he has certain rights over my life and tends to pooh-pooh everything I do that happens to be something he doesn't agree with. At the moment he doesn't even acknowledge my h2b, he never asks about him on the phone or sends his greetings. He addresses Xmas card and the like only to me which makes it really difficult. I know that if he does travel for the wedding he will probably make an effort but won't miss any opportunity to make jokes about the fact that his daughter doesn't need to be married again etc. Even though we've been together for 2 years and 4 months and have lived together for over a year my dad thinks "it's just a boyfriend"...

Difficult one... But I can't not invite him (again!), especially if he decides to help with costs...For that reason we are trying to pay for it mostly ourselves...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics