Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Spent some money from wedding fund

HappyIvoryHair6003, 30 of December of 2020 at 22:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2
Please please don’t give me hate for this I already hate myself as much as it is. Myself and my fiancé are getting married and opened a savings account to save for it. To give a bit of back ground my fiancé earns a lot more than over 80k I earn about 25k. We have both been putting money into this joint account for wedding. However when I have been stuck for cash or short on Christmas shopping etc I took money back out (never more than I put in). For example over 12 month I put in £3200 but took out £1400. I feel shocking and now my fiancé has discovered this and has not spoke to me for 3 days . I’m not a bad person I was just strapped for cash and to embarrassed to say to him. He is the most generous person ever I have always struggled with budgeting I try so many techniques but just can’t. I don’t know how to sort this he won’t even look at me. I am such a horrible person.

2 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBrownStationery29719, 1 of January of 2021 at 15:31
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated February 2022 South East London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    The fact that he has not spoken to you for three days sounds kind of concerning. What is he cross about? The fact that you can’t manage your budget? The fact that you didn’t tell him? Because that money was committed? Did you lose out on interest on the remaining balance due to the withdrawals? It seems a bit of an overreaction to you realising you had put in more than you could afford, but maybe there are wider issues at play.

If your finances are completely separate, then I would not expect you to be able to save much at all, but if (for example) he covers all bills/expenses and your take home pay is just your own spending money, then you could obviously contribute more! If you are able to work things out, then I would suggest a joint discussion about realistic budgets and targets for both of you going forward, taking into account the great discrepancy in your salaries.
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think ot makes you a bad person. However hiding your financial issues from your significant other is the real big deal. And to be honest Christmas shopping as an excuse to take out the money is rather unessential.... Maybe he is more concerned about your managing of finances then about how much you can safe. Marrying someone that is not able to budget within their means might be rather the actual concern. You guys need to sit down and have a budget discussion. Obviously you won't be able to safe as much as him but you should be able to commit to a fair share(maybe he can do 70% and you 30??). After all its your wedding too. I earn more than my fiance so covering a larger chunk of the household bills(60/40) is fair. However he insisted on a big wedding with all his family. As I wasn't willing to cover the extra costs(I wanted small) we agreed to split the wedding 50/50. I do expect him to hold up his end and make some concessions on what he can afford/ buy in everyday life in order to safe for the wedding. If he would not and then expect me to cover the extra costs I would be pissed off to be honest.... he was furloughed this year and struggled a bit saving but we spoke honestly about it so it wasn't an issue at all and we discussed him saving less in this time. As we are planning a life together and inevitable tie our finances together to some degree I do think being open and honest is essential in that matter. I think you guys need to sit down and have a chat regarding your budget, what you can realistic safe and your finance managing struggles. And if you struggle to save more/ make up for what you took out then maybe look at none essential things you can cut from the wedding to compensate so he doesn't have to pay extra of he doesn't want to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics