Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rhea
Beginner January 2008

Spiders- help getting rid!

Rhea, 23 August, 2009 at 23:17 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

I am very scared of spiders, since moving we seem to have loads of very big spiders. The type that only just fit in a pint glass. My stressing and getting upset is effecting my 2.5yr old. I know I should grow up but I can't. I have no other fears just spiders. Mr R work long anti-social hours and the feckers seem to appear around 11pm. They are also around first thing scooting across the floor and in a dozy state I get quite worked up. I can't even get close enough to kill them (not good karma I know) Do these gadets work? https://www.primrose.co.uk/advanced-spider-repeller-whole-house-p-1277.html any other suggestions? God I hate the hairly legged feckers and the way they dart and scoot about.

20 replies

Latest activity by Rhea, 25 August, 2009 at 07:34
  • Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I shall watch this with interest. I am also petrified of spiders - I daren't open the link you posted in case there's a picture of one. In a previous house where this was a problem we had something called Spider Stop from Betterware and that, combined with plugging a few holes in skirting boards, really helped. We left it behind when we moved out of that place a couple of years ago and have now moved again and are having a similar problem (although they're not as big as the ones at the previous house). I don't know where to get Betterware stuff round here.

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content

No spiders just a picture of a plug in thing. My house is full of holes and its freaking me out. We have loads of DIY to do[:'(] loads of bloody holes. the massive hole were a fire should be isn't helping.... Mr R is going to be putting a lot of temporary MDF up in the morning.

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content
  • Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Have looked now and may have to order one! When we had the problem we looked for something like this and couldn't find it. We ended up buying one meant for rats. I don't know if it helped or not as we were using it in combination with the other things. I got rid of it in the end because it emitted a high pitched noise which H couldn't hear but I could when I was in the same room as it. It drove me bonkers! That one works on electromagnetic pulses so I shouldn't have the same problem. Definitely one to show to H (who is in charge of getting rid of them!)

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!!

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content

Amazon reviews say its rubbish, my friend has one for mice and swears by the unit. I am going to buy some of the betterware stuff. The spider is now sat on top of the wireless and other bits warm spot I guess?

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe I'm missing something, but I only see two reviews - one positive and one negative. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Spider-Repeller-Deterrent-Whole/dp/B0027GZPFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1251068238&sr=8-1

• Dr Doo.Little
    Beginner May 2007
    Dr Doo.Little ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar problem when we moved into this house and I am also petrified of spiders, my dad wouldn't believe how big they were until he caught a glimpse of one himself one day when he was visiting ?

We bought those electric things and they were worse than naff, within 3 days a spider had actually built its web over it. We gave up and the only thing that has made a difference is getting new double glazing fitted and sealing holes in the house. We still get them but they don't seem to be as frequent and they're definitely not as big. I'm sure that most of them were getting in through the old doors and patio doors in the house (we used to get a lot of slugs to and they've gone).

• HaloHoney
    Beginner July 2007
    HaloHoney ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! That's an awkward problem.

Can I suggest getting hypnotherapy? It might not be getting rid of the spiders, but if it can cut down from "I'd rather burn down the house than share it with a spider" to "I'll contain it until H gets back and then he can evict it" it might help in some way. Probably more reliably than a spider repeller thingy.

I have had hypnotherapy for pain relief in childbirth but a neat side effect was being able to control my reactions to things (I was totally phobic of wasps/flying insects, and needles). I am now able to have blood taken/injections without fainting/crying/wailing/shaking and the phobia about flying insects is down to within normal panic levels.

It sucks being phobic of something. The constant sense of panic about where the next one will appear from is awful. ?

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that DrD I was hoping they would be the cure. I need the fireplace blocked up sharpish!

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Halohoney missed your post somehow. I have looked in the past at things like hypnotherapy.

maybe its the way forward. Thanks for the advice.

• H
    HappyBlueDiamonds331 ·
    • Hide content

We have the electric plug-ins and have found them brilliant. We bought them to repel ants and bugs etc. but they seem to work on everything. We have 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the conservatory and every week I have to move the settees in the conservatory and hoover the dead creepy crawlies up, last week there were loads of wasps so that's good too.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I feel the same way as you, I have a really bad phobia of spiders. They make me cry, retch and sometimes faint.

I used to get massive, and I mean massive spiders in my house. It's been a bit better since I got new double glazing and a new front door. I put these round the front door and the entrance around my bedroom so none can get to me while I am in bed.

http://spidatrap.com/

You can look at the site, but don't look at the red areas as there are pictures of spiders on there. In fact there is a photo of a spider I caught on there. It was huge! <puke icon> I have the plug ins, but don't work, I have also used the spray ans put conkers all round the house which don't work wither. Nothing can stop the spiders from coming in, but the Spida Trap will stop them from coming near you.

I really, really understand your phobia. I have thought of hynotherapy, but (and I know this is daft) in a way I don't want to not be scared of them because I hate them so, so much ☹️

Good luck xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the link Sparkley, but there's no way I could use something like that. I couldn't cope with waking up to find them and then having to dispose of them.

I genuinely did find that the Spider Stop stuff from Betterware worked. We got loads of spiders when we first moved into that house, literally 5 or 6 a day and some of them were really big, but because it was a rented house we weren't able to fix the 1cm gap under the back door or do anything about the crap old window in the bathroom. I sprayed the stuff around the front and back doors and around the bathroom window and we used Polyfilla to plug a couple of gaps where the bath met the wall and overnight the number of spiders reduced. From 5 or 6 a day we went down to less than one a month.

Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content

I dont know how to stop them getting into your house but we have one of these to catch them and it is really helpful as yu dont have to get so close to them

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/spider-catcher-p-2294.html?cPath=24_147

my OH is more scared of spiders than I am so get called to get rid of them and we have very big ones that come into our house, think its the big fir tree outside. at least with this I can pick it up and put it outside or where ever I wish without having to get too close. much better than trying to put a glass over the spider.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Eek! Warning - Vicky's link has a picture of a spider.

Couldn't cope with using one of those Vicky.

• NightOwl
    Beginner
    NightOwl ·
    • Hide content

It is a bit extreme, but I would suggest getting a cat!

We have not had a spider for a year (and we live in a 300 year old house where creepy crawlies thrive) since we got our two cats! I don’t know if spiders stay away because of the cats or if the cats simply eat them! ?

It is just another reason to love cats!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I'm allergic to cat hair! I'm doomed, aren't I? ?

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't use those <shudder> I don't want to catch them and save them, I want to stop them coming in and to DIE! DIE! DIE!!!!!!!!

Mel, it's not nice waking up and seeing the dead spider as even a dead one can set me off having a sort of panic attack, but for the first time in years I can go to bed and know that there won't be any spiders in my room. When they catch a spider I throw a tee shirt over them until my boyfriend/brother/girlfriend can come over and get rid of it. At least I don't have to see it.

I have a cat, but she sleeps pretty much 20 hours a day, so is useless for catching spiders! ? and she spends all night asleep on my bed with me, so won't be on the prowl round the rest of the house. Useless baby she is! ❤️

I have a cat, but she sleeps

• Sah
    Beginner July 2006
    Sah ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Sparkley on this - I don't want hypnotherapy because I can't bear the thought of being 'alright' with spiders!

Our dog manages to kill some pretty big ones, but to be honest I've found that natural desensitisation over the 3 years we've lived back in the UK have got me to a point where I don't hyperventilate or have a panic attack. I can even kill them myself as long as I am wearing knee-high boots and gloves so that the spider can't touch my skin! (And I can certainly NEVER let them live - they might come back in if you just put them outside!)

• Rhea
    Beginner January 2008
    Rhea ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the link Sparkley, not sure if It work work in our house yet, too many holes and no carpet. I am trying to rush the plastering so we can get carpet down. I'm sure they are coming up through the floor boards. I might try the spider catcher how long is the pole bit? lol Being a bit hopeful as I can't even drop a shoe on them. Glad to know I am not alone!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics