Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2014

Spray tan advice please....

Pix-e, 24 of April of 2014 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 10

HI all! I have decided that i would like to get a spray tan for the big day.... I am so pale, that should it be sunny (fingers crossed) i don't want to be washed out wearing a white dress too! Don't worry i'm not planning to go too OTT, just would like a little sunkissed glow finish.

I have 6 weeks to go, so am starting to look for somewhere to go and have a trial done first..... I have never been to one of the proper places before and don't trust myself to get an even effect for my day...does anyone have any tips on the types of places to stay away from and roughly what is a good price-they seem to vary so much!! Am feeling a little lost! any help/suggestions please?!!! I am based in Sutton/Surrey area if anyone happens to know of a good/bad place near here!

Thank you!

10 replies

Latest activity by WeddingInJune, 25 of April of 2014 at 23:34
  • cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

There are two different methods of spray tans - those in an automated booth and those that are manually applied. Then you have the different products used in each.

The booths are cheaper than a manual spray tan so are a bit half way house between DIY and a beautician. For your wedding I would avoid the automated booths as your final spray may end up different to your trial. For example, I used to have these then on one visit I applied the usual barrier cream and then washed my hands but must have washed them differently and ended up with very orange palms and in between my fingers.

For the beautician ones, I tend to go for St Tropez where its an important event. The colour is really natural and adjusts to your own skin tone. However, these are more expensive than something like a Sienna X tan. I find the Sienna X spray tans too orange for me but sometimes have them for a cheap spray tan before a holiday as they tend to have special offers on. My last one cost just £10.

Sorry I can't help you on a specific beauty place near you but if you google St Tropez spray tanning you should be able to find beauty therapists offering it. I've also had St Tropez cream tan which I really liked (ie not a spray tan a rub in one applied by a beauty therapist). I've also had a HeShe liquid rub in tan which was wayyyy too dark for me but I have used their stuff at home no problem. I paid £20 for my last St Tropez tan - that doesn't include any exfoliation. This is cheap but it was a local Yorkshire place. I have paid £35 for a St Tropez tan before.

There are less places that do St Tropez - my friend said anyone can buy a spray tan kit and do other spray tans but St Tropez only allow certain therapists to offer their tans. No idea how true this is!!

I'm sounding like a St Tropez supplier now.... at home I use Xen tan as they smell lush but never found anywhere doing their tans!

• R
    Savvy July 2015
    RomanticGoldConfetti108 ·
    • Hide content

I would highly recommend either San Tropez or Xen Tan.

If you call around some local beauticians most of them have beauticians there that can do the spray tans manually for you.

i usually pay around £20-£25 for my tans and they last around 5 days Smiley smile

You will go very dark when you first have it done but don't worry as you wash the top layer off after 24 hours to be left with a gorgeous natural looking tan Smiley smile x

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

I like Sienna as it adapts well to my skin. I think in terms of brands everyone takes to them differently. For a good all rounder I recommend St Tropez though. I definately recommend a trial and taking photos each day after so you can work out which day the tan looks best. For me its 2 days after its been applied so Im having mine the Thurs before my Saturday wedding, but again everyone is different. I also wore light coloured clothes and a strapless bra the days after my tan to see if any came off against the clothes and th prevent any form of strap marks.

If you find someone independent who comes to your house to tan, make sure they are available on your wedding date. I had my trial wih a lady and when I went to confirm numbers of people for the tan for the wedding she told me she was on holiday so Iv had to start again and find someone else.

xx

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack the post but i was also thinking of a spray tan but worried if I get warm it will come off one dress? Does anyone know if this could happen or am I worrying over nothing xx

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

I got slated last time I said this, but I have had 2 photographers advise that spray tan that looks a decent shade, will often go too 'orange' on film once the photos are tweeked for colour satuation / hue etc.

A good photographer would just perhaps avoid such tweeking.... I dunno.

It made me start sunbedding though as an unhealthy alternative.

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

Mean of people to slate you when you're trying to help!

But I had a tan done before my wedding (St Tropez applied lotion, highly recommended) and honestly, it doesn't look orange or odd in any of the photos, either colour or black and white. I'm naturally pale, hardly ever use fake tan and am hyper critical of myself in photos so perhaps it depends on the photographer, and like ClaireDawnB says, the 'tweeking' they do.

• P
    Beginner June 2014
    Pix-e ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies... I hadn't heard about the photo side of things....am slightly worried about that now! I have been having a look in my area and it seems St Tropez isn't really advertised or done Smiley sad Lots of places off er Sienna X or Fake Bake...anyone have any opinions on these?!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Crazy angle is best, well it's what I use on my clients anyway. It's natural. If you do have one and you've never had one before make sure you have a test patch especially with 6 weeks to go.

• MrsSands2be!
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsSands2be! ·
    • Hide content

Hello Smiley smile

i wouldn't worry about the photos, my husband to be is a photographer and as long as the tans nice and natural (i.e a nice sun kissed glow) you definitely cant tell. He's only ever had one bride that looked slightly orange in the photos, but thats nothing photoshop cant fix anyway. I usually get a St Tropez spray tan, I'm very pale and it comes out a nice colour on me. I've heard the sienna one is good too.

• W
    Beginner June 2014
    WeddingInJune ·
    • Hide content

I'm another that's steering clear of fake. I just don't want to risk a bad one, or any rubbing off on the dress.

I've been sun bedding for the last couple of weeks (3 times of 6 minutes) and so far i'm really impressed...I thought it would take ages to build up colour but i've already started to tan, a lovely natural colour. Going to keep it up just until the wedding Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics