Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2011

Spray tan or sunbed?

slewts, 17 of May of 2011 at 16:19 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi, I've just been to pay for our wedding flowers and noticed a lovely looking beauticians down the road which does spray tans, so thought I'd pop in and book a trial (I'm very pale and haven't had one before). When I asked about having a spray tan for my wedding, the beautician looked a bit skeptical and said she wouldn't recommend one in case it marks the dress. Instead she recommended I go on a sunbed a few times (I don't want to be very tanned, just less corpse like!) The shop don't have sunbeds so she was doing herself out of business. I would never normally use a sunbed as I burn quite easily, plus the obvious health risks, though I did use one at university and had a lovely tan for the first time ever.

Anyway, I've waffled on but just wondered whether people had had any issues with having a spray tan for their wedding? Would I be better using a sun bed a few times to have a light tan?

Thanks,

Sarah

23 replies

Latest activity by Spray, 22 of June of 2022 at 06:10
  • sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I would go for the spray tan. It shouldn't come off on your dress if you wash properly before you put the dress on. You will probably get better results with a spray tan anyway. I don't think sun beds are ever a good idea, especially for someone with very pale skin.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

I defintely wont be having a spray tan for fear of rubbing off on dress - even if got few days before its not worth the stress!

I may have a few sunbeds, hardly any just a few. In moderation (i.e. dont go on for longer than 3 or 4 minutes at a time esp if you're fair)

Remember if you're happy to lay in the sun and sunbathe thats just as bad pretty much!

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yeah thats fair point too... for me spray tan is too scary for rubbing off on dress!

Lets hope its a good summer!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I have sun beds but tan very easily and never overdo it.

I've just been for one and while I was in there, someone hit my car and drove off. Thanks to the witnesses I caught her!!! Grrrrrrrrr.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I was waiting for you to pop up in this thread, Panjita ?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

If you are pale I am very surprised that the beautician recommended using the sunbeds - anyhow I am as pale as they come and I just wouldnt risk the beds, if you are worried about the tan rubbing off on your dress then why dont you use a gradual tan about week before the wedding, dove and johnsons are the best you wont go brown brown but it will just give your skin a bit of warmth more than anything I think for us plae uns a bit of a healthy glow suits us far better than a full on spray tan anyway. Oh and its cheaper!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, my avatar says it all Smiley laugh

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    slewts ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice, I've tried Johnson's and Dove and both times I've streaked (I'm pretty rubbish at it, though don't know what I'm doing wrong...) I've got some St Tropez gradual tanner upstairs so might start with that...

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Make sure you exfoiliate!!!! Scrub scrub scrub!

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I bet you're itching to read your GL thread Panj

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

As an EX sunbed addict... yes girls note the "ex".. I would suggest the spray tan..

I dont mean to scare monger here but the beginning of the year I lost my beloved SIL to cancer and she used a sunbed, a lot... her skin came up in lesions and nearly a year to date she was diagnosed with it being terminal she quietly slipped away from us.. so as an ex addict myself I would absolutely stress not to use them now!

Spray tans all the way from now on for me....

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    slewts ·
    • Hide content

KBS, that is so sad, what an awful time for all your family. You have made my mind up, spray tan or pale and interesting for me!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to use them all the time, at least once a week (totally addicted to them and noone could persuade me otherwise) but it really hit home when something like that happened...

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I have been going on the sunbed once a week for about 4 weeks now (6 mins each time) and have built a nice bronzed colour. I wouldn't however abuse them for the reasons above.

I have had a spray tan before and it was harsh on my eczema, smelt awful, and just generally wasn't very good. I personally wouldn't want to risk it going on my dress or looking streaky as we go on HM the next day and don't fancy walking the beaches of Jamaica like a bronzed zebra.

• luckylola
    Beginner September 2012
    luckylola ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have jusy started using this and it is fab! you only need one or two applications to get a good colour... and it doesn't wash straight off ! Would recommend it to anyone trying to get a tanned look.

Kerri

x

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

If I have learnt one thing and one thing only from Hitched, its that fake tan doesn't rub off onto your dress.......courtesy of Trickers!! X

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    shani14 ·
    • Hide content

Was just about to say that Chidders!! I am relying on Trickers! x

• Re_Licious
    Beginner October 2011
    Re_Licious ·
    • Hide content

If you are looking to fake it there are a few golden rules, if your skin is not in good condition no self tan will ever look good. So the 2 golden rules are exfoliate and moisturise. Even if you are using one of these 'body moisturisers with a hint of sun'. If you want it out of a bottle you can't go far wrong than with Piz Buin, I am olive skinned and used to use the dark and it is great, but it does come in a light. I used the mousse, and it goes on lovely (as long as you have followed the two golden rules!)

A great tip is to make your exfoliator with some vegetable oil and sugar. Use it before you get in the shower (I always do it in the bath tub, but beware it is very slippery) then rinse yourself down under hot water, don't use any shower gel, just rinse the sugar to melt it and the oil stays put. Then when you get out of the shower you have the perfect base for applying fake tan. It works a treat every time.

Personally for my wedding I will have a couple of sunbeds, I will be using a cream to enhance my tan and reduce my tanning time. As I am only using it for a special occasion, and never use them otherwise, I am not over worried about the health implications, but again, I am olive skinned and don't burn easily.

Hope this helps!

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I am another former sunbed addict. I am very fair & whatever fake tan I use ALWAYS turns me into the Tango Panda. I got into sunbeds because I had a lot of problems with acne on my shoulders in my early twenties & a weekly sunbed session was the only thing that seemed to keep it under control. I won't be having a spray tan before my wedding. I will either have about 10 sunbed sessions spread over a month before hand or I will go just as I am. Having used sunbeds so much in the past I am constantly checking my moles. I do think my skin has aged a lot more than it would have done if I hadn't used the sunbeds.

KBS - my sympathies re your sister. That must have been awful x

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I must say its a secret but i have been using a sunbed for past 2 weeks, ive had 4 sessions of 6mins, i plan to have another 2 sessions before sat. I would never normally but i am looking rather pasty after winter and i am olivey type normally. Im not looking to be brozed as such just slight colour.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

You're forgetting option number three - au naturale ?

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

I have had spray tans before and they are great but if you do get hot and little sweaty it does rub off and i just dont want to risk it with my dress

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

depedns on the tan IMO!!

I hate hate hate sunbeds, had a couple when i was younger but they make me a funny 'grubby' colour, not a nice golden brown, no matter what i tried!

I dont tan, im naturally tanned anywya, but when/if i do, i have a spray tan always

KBS's story rings true and NO one should use sunbeds!!
    *steps down off soapbox*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics