Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner March 2014

Spray tans - yay or nay?

ash.deans, 19 of December of 2013 at 22:15 Posted on Planning 0 20

I have only ever had on spray tan in my life and because of my skin tone (pale), it looked awful on me, like, rolled in wotsit dust awful. I've asked my step-sister to be a bridesmaid and other than being a pain in general, she's now asking me to book (and pay for of course) a spray tan for the day. She has even paler skin than me and also looks terrible with a spray tan. I didn't mind initially until I thought about the photos. Do you think they will be really weird with me with my natural skin colour and hair a brighter shade of orange? Should I tell her or just be glad she'll be comfortable on the day.

What do you think? Have you had to deal with anything like this?

20 replies

Latest activity by ebony_rose, 24 of December of 2013 at 13:31
  • SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar problem in that one of my bridesmaids likes to completely cake herself in foundation, whereas I go for the more natural look. BM2 suggested we all wear the same make up, but I'm not sure if she'll do it in the end or not. Could you suggest to her that you'd like to have the same as her so the photos don't look too mismatched (blame your mum if you need to, I did lol) and go to a make up counter to try a golden kind of foundation? I'm wearing Bare Minerals and theirs does this.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a spray tan - I'm naturally pale & really worried about it rubbing off on my dress!!! I wanna look myself anyway ?

I'd just be honest and say you don't fancy it, but she can pay for your nails or something instead?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

If I were you I wouldn't have a spray tan done.

No one wants to look weird on their wedding day.

For just a teenie bit of colour I'd use a moisturiser tan specifically for pale skin. That's also less likely to rub off on ur dress.

Or even better.... Embrace your natural skin!!!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Am I reading this right? She wants YOU to book and pay for HER to have a spray tan? Cheeky moo! Just be honest and say you'd rather not have any orange members in your bridal party

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^ This, BUT, would replace the "orange" bit which can cause arguments, by saying you prefer natural looks on the day and money is tight for spending it on spray tans! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely don't pay for her, how cheeky!

Tell her she'll look ridiculous!

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Just a different opinion...spray tans aren't always orange! I get a 'Virtual Sun' spray tan and it's really natural!!

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree.

If you never usually tan then dont on your wedding day. Simple.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Im lucky all my friends are alternative so we are very proud of our whiter than white skin (im almost albino im so white because unlike most pale people I have no pink pigment so most foundations make me look sunburnt lol)

personally I would hate it, not just for the horrific look of fake tans but also the fear that it would end up on my white dress (fake tan appears to rub off on anything near it)

why dont you by her the dove gradual tan moisturiser? (I think it was dove anyway lol) I used it before and its not bad because its very subtle and develops over time to a more natural color (but it does wash off in the shower) it adds a little sunkissed glow with adding an orange tan

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really doesnt.

You get tanned in old clothes and let the tan develop and then after 12 hours you shower. What you are left with is your tan and it doesnt rub off on your clothes.

I had no tan on my wedding dress.

• Dinosaurs
    Beginner July 2014
    Dinosaurs ·
    • Hide content

You can refuse to pay for it but I don't think you can stop her wearing it. If she wants fake tan then that's up to her. If I have read it wrong and she wants you to wear it then just say no.

• A
    Beginner March 2014
    ash.deans ·
    • Hide content

Just to clarify, she wants me to pay for HER to have one. I don't really think I can say anything but may say that if she wants one, she will have to pay for it. I've paid for everything else and have literally just paid everything off, so think I will politely decline. I will be pale on the day, that's the way I like it, have always liked my skin and it's what I look like normally so why change it?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree. Why do something so out of the ordinary just because it's your wedding day. You need to look like you at the end of the day.

Also agree with getting her to pay. Stand your ground!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

The way I see it is if she wants to look like an Oompa loompa she should pay for it, if you want her to look like one you pay for it.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

As for the photos I suppose it depends how honest you can be as friends without upsetting each other. I know that if I told my best friend that something would look awful she would thank me for being honest and vice versa, other friends I know would be more sensitive and get upset. Only you can judge that.

• dearbarbie
    Beginner July 2015
    dearbarbie ·
    • Hide content

Spray tans, urgh, gross. If she wants it doing she should pay for it imo, especially if it's something she does regularly for herself anyway. Unless you want your entire bridal party to look like they're been Tango'ed. On the photos you will have for years. They always look so fake to me.

• Siobhan200286
    Beginner August 2015
    Siobhan200286 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with popular opinion, if she feels she wants/needs it, then she should pay for it herself, and particularly if you don't even like the idea of it - why should you pay for something you don't want.

Perhaps you could mention your concerns to her about how you think it may look, and if she really wants to convince you then she could get one done now, to show you what it looks like?! Then at least you would know if it is going to look orange or not. I agree with others who have commented that not all tans look bad - there are some fantastic products out there these days and in a lot of instances you do get what you pay for. So in some respects, it is likely that a more expensive spray tan would be the better option as it'll be more likely to look good than a cheaper at-home job.

However, I don't think the cost of her tan should be met by you, whatever method she chooses, she should pay for this herself.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Totes amaze, yay all the way! Just maybe get a trial run a few weeks beforehand x

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I'm naturally pale but I won't be having a spray tan. I want to look like me.

Im psying for hair and makeup for my brides but I won't be paying for anything like that. I think she's cheeky to ask.

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone been watching this series of 'him and her' (the wedding)? A spray tan bridesmaid just makes me think of Shelly - I can't find a good photo but google away to see a 'spray tan gone wrong'. If you watch it you'll know what I mean.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Nay.

Even "good" fake tans still look sh!te.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics