Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snowby
Beginner September 2013

Spreading the cost...

Snowby, 11 August, 2012 at 18:03 Posted on Planning 0 3

My OH and I are still in the very early stages of wedding planning. We've set our budget based on what we've got put aside already and what we can afford to save up along the way. We already have a good idea of the payment schedules for the venues we're looking at. I'm guessing that the main costs after the venue will be my outfit, photographer and wedding cars. From reading other posts on here, it seems that you generally put a deposit down on your dress (50%?) and then pay the remaining amount on collection, yes? Less sure about togs and cars - is this a similar thing i.e. an initial deposit and then a final deposit nearer the time? I appreciate that things like this will vary from supplier to supplier and the options you take but was hoping people would be able to give me a general idea from their own experiences. Sorry if this is a daft question, just wanted to get an idea of what willl be leaving the bank account and when!

3 replies

Latest activity by Snowby, 11 August, 2012 at 22:45
  • C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Well done for asking! I never really thought this through when budgetting which was a bit tight when I did 50% for my dress ?

So far we've paid £100 deposit for venue (which I thought was incredibly reasonable). Final payment by 2 weeks after wedding.

10% for caterers. Total 2 weeks before.

50% for dress. Total on arrival. Alterations are when completed.

£100 deposit for tog. Total 2 weeks before.

£100 deposit for registrar (and then £70 when we gave notice, paid in full). Total by 19th January (Wedding is 9th March)

£100 deposit for band. Total on the day.

For make-up, I've been put in the diary and I pay the trials on the day and if I want I can then pay for the whole thing on the trial, or on the day.

Hair, florist and cars, I don't know as parents have arranged. Cake, my gran is sorting so again, not sure.

Bridesmaids dresses and some accessories I've bought along the way are all paid in full, as I'm not 'ordering' them, they're in my possesion already.

Suits we're yet to do - but thats something OH is doing.

We're not having a videographer, as we're getting my brother to do a bit of home-videoing on certain bits so closer to the time (probably January sales) we'll buy a good quality camcorder.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if it is covered in your umbrella title of 'venue,' but if you are considering the 'big things' I think the church or registrar/room hire is another big cost.

Some churches cost the best part of £1k and a typical room hire for a civil ceremony is upwards of £500 with another £500 being required for the registrar to come out to marry you.

Sorry if that sounds patronising, but there is nothing worse than an unexpected expense at later stage of planning.

Like OB said, hang onto your money as long as possible, just put it aside ready for payment of the full balance. Wedding insurance that covers companies going into administration will also offer peace of mind.

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, your replies are really helpful!

DuckyBum - never feel like you're being patronising. In this case I had, as you said, kind of factored room hire and registrar costs into the venue costs. However, I'm sure there'll be plenty of times along the way when I do overlook some pretty obvious things. That's why us newbies rely on you guys to make us think of EVERYTHING! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics